Compact ballhead for mopnopods

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
What ballhead do you guys use with your monpods? I have a CF monopod and find my Giottos head with an additional QR adaptor too heavy and screws up the balance.

I am hunting for a very small and light weight head with a build-in QR plate. Any recommendations will be appreciated. :think:

small head normally without the quick release plate... my head is the mh1000 or something... den its just screw on since the monopod is rather light, just unlock the ball head den keep spinning will lock already.

btw wats a mopnopods??? :D

like a alien tripod but 2 legs missing,,,,

or a cut off 'MOP' handle used as a monopod

It's a monopod made using a mop... so you can clean up and take photos at same time.

bernards said:
What ballhead do you guys use with your monpods? I have a CF monopod and find my Giottos head with an additional QR adaptor too heavy and screws up the balance.

I am hunting for a very small and light weight head with a build-in QR plate. Any recommendations will be appreciated. :think:

Manfrotto 484RC2

It's a typo :blah:

Tzuen said:

Tzuen, I have tried that setup. Conclusion: it won't work unless you have an L-plate for your camera.

This is why: the Manfrotto 234RC only swivels in one axis. This is fine if you only want to aim up and down. If you want a portrait picture, you have to remove your camera from the monopod, change the axis of your QR plate by 90 degrees, then remount your camera and swivel to portrait orientation. It is a PAIN to have to change the axis of your QR plate, and not possible at all if you are using an Arca-swiss style QR plate (as suggested by that article).

What's more, when you do this, then you lose your up/down aim axis unless you tilt the entire monopod! This of course affects the stability of your monopod which is why you are using a monopod in the first place.

My recommendation is that you use a Manfrotto joystick head like the Manfrotto 222 or the Manfrotto 322RC2 head. The 222 is probably a little too tall for a monopod and not very stable. The 322 is probably the one to go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.