COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE CAMERA AND LENS IS FAULTY!!!

Jexter

Oct 5, 2009
Dhoby Ghuat
HI ALL I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS LENS OUT OF A SUDDEN!

This is what it proms after a photo is taken....

hope someone will be kind enough to help me rectify this situation!!!:confused:

20130222_135916 by Jexter 林, on Flickr

1. I'm guessing your caps lock key is faulty as well?
2. Google for "Canon Err 01" and start reading. Also, do note what the camera is telling you to do... Clean the lens contacts. Have you done that already, or are you just going to caps-lock keyboard warrior rage?

1) Dismount the lens and mount again.... if don't work, go to step 2
2) Clean the contact pins of the lens. If don't work, I think have to visit CSC.

Also, What is the lens you are using? there are some lenses that are more prone to have some mechanical faults than others...

TS: you get already one suggestion by the camera. Many more you can get from your camera manual, using Google, searching this forum. What else is needed? Nothing less than your acting. And fixing your Caps Lock issue, please.

TS: you get already one suggestion by the camera. Many more you can get from your camera manual, using Google, searching this forum. What else is needed? Nothing less than your acting. And fixing your Caps Lock issue, please.

Did u get a shock out off seeing caps? tried cleaning like what the camera says... those reading manual or using google okay it helps in a way but its not working at all!

Bear in mind that nobody is obliged to help you. Kicking up a fuss here is not going to help either. If the camera is not working, natural thing to do is to send it back to the service centre. Simple as that. You are not doing yourself any favour with that tone.

Did u get a shock out off seeing caps?
Using Caps Lock on any Internet communication is the equivalent of screaming, shouting, hollering .. Now, would you like to be addressed / approached in this way?
tried cleaning like what the camera says... those reading manual or using google okay it helps in a way but its not working at all!
Then your next best bet is the Canon Service Center. Address and opening hours are available at Canon website.

GO BUY YOURSELF A NEW CAM!!!!!!

actually as shown its my lens contact..my other lens has no issues operating on my camera body..Yes yes buying is not a problem! but still will use caps! hahaha.

but still will use caps! hahaha.

Since using caps is considered "shouting" and quite rude, I hope that repeated occurrences will result in your suspension until you learn manners. :)

HI ALL I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS LENS OUT OF A SUDDEN!

This is what it proms after a photo is taken....

hope someone will be kind enough to help me rectify this situation!!!:confused:

20130222_135916 by Jexter 林, on Flickr

Did u get a shock out off seeing caps? tried cleaning like what the camera says... those reading manual or using google okay it helps in a way but its not working at all!

actually as shown its my lens contact..my other lens has no issues operating on my camera body..Yes yes buying is not a problem! but still will use caps! hahaha.

mind your manners young man..

The number ONE rule in CS 1. Be Nice and Be Civilised.

Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Last edited:
idk how can you consider "HEARING" CAPS LETTERS as shouting? did i scold anyone? rude.. they are simply text..unless u are so affected. Manners are for those who deserve. So sorry. Thanks!

Last edited:
idk how can you consider "HEARING" CAPS LETTERS as shouting? did i scold anyone? rude.. they are simply text..unless u are so affected. Manners are for those who deserve. So sorry. Thanks!

Internet Etiquette

Question: Whether or not it is acceptable to use all captial letters on the internet?

Answer: Using all caps means you are a Troll. Do not use all capital letter words on social networks, in e-mail messages, on discussion board chats, or through any form of personal internet communication. A troll is someone who causes trouble on the internet. There are many ways to get this label. The most common way is to post comments that are personal attacks or use all caps inappropriately.

Proper Internet Etiquette
Don’t Shout
Avoid using all caps in any email or post. Some people think that keeping the caps lock button on for the entire message will make it easier to read, while it actually does the opposite. It is not only difficult to read, it comes across as shouting, which is rude.

Usually I will help repeat offenders to remember this by giving free two weeks holiday ticker to nowhere.

Last edited:

How can you don't know CAPS = RUDE (FIRST DAY SURFING??)? did you see what others had tried to EDUCATE you? rude.. they are simple texts of what you are.. unless u are still so ARROGANT and NAIVE. Manners are NOT deserve BY YOU. So sorry. NO THANKS!

TS, this message by the camera is actually a good diagnostic which attempts to pinpoint the source of the problem.

It may or may not be due to dirty contacts. There could be other causes.

If it persists after you have cleaned the contacts of the lens and the body; try to put on another lens and see if that functions.

to be honest with you. this humble cat thinks that all the above helpful people do deserve it, but you have withheld it from them.

do not withhold where it is due. if you observe i have completely omitted any caps . my keyboard has broken shift key. maybe you can check yours to see if it is stuck in the depressed position

Manners are the basis of civilized behavior. You show a good example of failing. But we are civilized, you may try again :)

Well... since TS had already make a mistake and many had already hammered him/her/it enough. But this is a newbie section, whereby other newbies do read it occasionally so for the benefits of the other newbies I will give a bit of help here (according to reading of other threads).

1) When and Err 1 occured, do try to switch off your camera, take out your battery, reinsert your battery, switch on the camera again and take a shot.
2) If the problem persist, dismount the lens, clean both the lens contact and your camera mount contacts, the re-mount the lens and take a shot. If it still persist,
3) remove lens, mount new lens and take a shot... If there are no Err1 error, then most likely the problem lies with your previous lens. If you see the same problem, then most probably there is some problem with your camera body.
4) If 3) happen, you can either DIY the repair yourself, sent it down to CSC or look for a repair shop like Camera Hospital, or look for our friendly and very good bro in CS - Fatigue.

Problem,

If it is your lens problem, well... there is this flex cable in your lens that might be broken;

a) Flickr: Discussing Error 01 in Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
b) Err 01: EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS only at long focal lengths - Canon Digital Photography Forums
c) Re: 17-55mm 2.8 err01 message: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
d) Repair of an Canon EF 17-85 IS lens (Januari 2009)

Actually this seemed a common issue with some of Canon lenses like:

1) 24-105mm F4L IS
2) 17-85mm
3) 17-55mm f2.8
4) 18-55mm (although mine still work after all these times)

Last edited:
If it's not contact problem, it's usually a broken flexible cable causing the error.
That's cable controls the lens aperture.

Here's simple way to confirm:

- Look through the viewfinder and see if it's a bit dark (compared to another lens)
This is to check if the aperture is stuck at small setting

- If the brightness of the viewfinder is normal, turn off your camera and remove the battery, reinstall the battery and turn on the camera (this step is to clear the error). Set the aperture to a small setting ( say F22) then press the DOF button. Look in front of the lens and observe if the aperture moves as you press the DOF on/off
If it doesn't move, it's the flexible cable

Having difficulty in seeing the movement of aperture?
- Try to shoot at max aperture ( the smallest number setting).
- Then try to shoot at any aperture other than max aperture
If there's no error message at max aperture but shows up in any other aperture setting, it's the flexible cable