Common Tiger

Blue Jay

Mar 17, 2012
Singapore
Just a note. As I do not have PS software, this photo is an original photo. :)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
A: Composition, camera settings, exposure, how to make the picture sharper etc. Basically, anything about how I can make the photo look nicer without PP (other than cropping), since I have no PS. (as mentioned above)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A: I would like to capture the butterfly feeding on the fruit/flower(?) using the rule-of-third, against the blurrest possible background.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
A: Cloudy day, about 11+am. It was taken at bushes along a sand track, something like the former KTM train corridors in Singapore. The sand track was surrounded by grassland and some secondary forest.

Equipment: Canon EOS 550D, Tamron macro 180mm, flash Canon speedlite 430EX II
Settings: AV mode, F/6.3, 1/250, ISO 400.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
A: Background is good, but can probably be nicer. Butterfly can be considered sharp without PP, in my case. Of course, if it can be sharper, go on and critique on it. I like the exposure, which the true colours of the butterfly are captured, and the framing of the photo too.

08122012uplaod4.jpg

:cheers:

PP can be done with free software, e.g. GIMP. i would prefer to crop away a bit of the left and top of the image, sharpen the wing tip of the butterfly and perhaps blur the background a little more.
update: sharpened the head
e.g.
8258037852_53283590d7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Shizuma, thanks for the "Like"!:cheers:

zaren, pls give me a about 2 weeks. I think the photo looks nicer after your sharpening, but can be better if the head is sharpened. However, I am still trying to figure out the software, so I might only be able to reply in the next few days, or even 3 weeks since I may not have much time to figure out the software.
:cheers: