Commercial Use of Photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

I would like to know from professional photographers, what the going rate for licensing the use of a photograph on the Internet is. This relates to commercial usage.

I heard from one source that it's between S$2k-$5k - perhaps anyone would like to add or comment?

Thanks!

Vince,

Your question is vague... you'd need to provide more details. Frankly, there's very little guide on such matters since it depends greatly on a number of factors. Where is the photo going to be used? How is it used? As a major campaign photo or just one of the little photos? What is the content of the photo? Unique or very stock like? Any models or famous personalities? Etc...

well to put some answers

These are product shots of branded goods like LV and stuffs, and are commissioned specially to show the products as part of a online purchasing website.

Stock photos like those on getty and others cost about $400 each or $800-$1000 for a whole CD of images under a certain theme right?
So maybe more unique images that are relevant to the advertiser's needs can cost more per image. :dunno:

If it's only gonna to be used for online catalogue, and it's a similar background for all the products, with straightforward lighting, the charges wouldn't be very high. It's still difficult to say how much you can charge, but I would assume 10 shots for about $500-1000.

Of course, if it's complex lighting and set-up, then it'll be much more. Or if you're just plonking the product in front of a white background, then it'd be much less.

But... if you're a convincing negotiator, you can probably get away with murder... :think:

Hi guys, how much do you charge for stock images? Let's say I have a pic of Esplanade that I want to sell it to a publisher. How much am I looking at?

I can't boast of fancy cameras or fantastic resume but I also know I shouldn't price myself too low. So, should I still be considering loading fees/royalty-free or not etc??

Pricing and value is a vague thing. And commissioning a shoot incurs different charges to selling/buying stock images. If you want a clue as to STOCK prices, then go to somewhere like Alamy and use their royalty calculator where you can get a very good ballpark estimation based on print run, usage, coverage, size, etc.

usherer said:
Hi guys, how much do you charge for stock images? Let's say I have a pic of Esplanade that I want to sell it to a publisher. How much am I looking at?

I can't boast of fancy cameras or fantastic resume but I also know I shouldn't price myself too low. So, should I still be considering loading fees/royalty-free or not etc??

Be careful - the Esplanade is a heavily copyrighted building and I advise you to check with them before selling a picture of it to a publisher. Or am I being too overly cautious?

as i have stated several times before, taking a photograph of a building does not infringe the copyright of the building.

Phildate said:
Be careful - the Esplanade is a heavily copyrighted building and I advise you to check with them before selling a picture of it to a publisher. Or am I being too overly cautious?

well you can't sell a picture of the empire state building. it's actually protected either by copyright or something else...funny huh?
I would like to know also how people price their photos, would be interested to get a sense of the rates people are getting

I'm speaking about the position under Singapore laws, I won't know the situation under US laws (which differ even from state to state).

mattlock said:
well you can't sell a picture of the empire state building. it's actually protected either by copyright or something else...funny huh?

vince123123 said:
as i have stated several times before, taking a photograph of a building does not infringe the copyright of the building.

I am designing the programme for a concert which is being held at the Esplanade on June 30. I wanted to use a design based loosely on a photograph of the Esplanade that I had taken but, having submitted the design to them for approval, I was told that it was an infringement of copyright and that the cladding is considered a corporate identity...so it was back to square one...

The taking of the photograph is not an infringement. however, the "design" (whatever that is supposed to be) may (or may not) be infringement depending on the facts.

not too sure what your project or use is, but since you're doing the project with Esplanade, you might as well just follow their directions.

Phildate said:
I am designing the programme for a concert which is being held at the Esplanade on June 30. I wanted to use a design based loosely on a photograph of the Esplanade that I had taken but, having submitted the design to them for approval, I was told that it was an infringement of copyright and that the cladding is considered a corporate identity...so it was back to square one...

Status
Not open for further replies.