comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audibum

Oct 23, 2006
east
my first post in this section...now come get me haha..

DSC_3074.jpg

unprocessed....

grey reflections...

symmetry of grey lines, enhanced by the reflections on the wet ground.

had some problems framing the shot and i think this one reflects the best symmety of lines and the shades of grey

had some problems framing the shot and i think this one reflects the best symmety of lines and the shades of grey

Hmm allow me to contribute to this photo.

Compositionally, the image is weak. You mention that you wanted to show Symmetry Via the Grey Lines of the stairs being reflected in the water. No doubt it is a reflection, i feel it doesn't quite reflect a symmetry. This is because your main subject doesnt happen to come across as the intended subject. The composition places the subject (stairs) at almost Half of the framing to the right. Thus rendering the left half as "useless" it doesnt quite enhance your main focus. In fact it fights for attention. Upon looking at the image my eyes continuosly scan around looking to find a "main picture". The image is also not balanced. The horizon sinks towards the right side. My suggesstion is to take another few looks at the place and rethink what you may want to really capture. Symmetry is a little to vague here. Reflection maybe. But if you intend for reflection you may need to look out for another angle.

Colour wise. You mention you want to show shades of grey. On a tonal range, there is probably range 1-4 or 5 only. Not very much to show shadeS of grey. Maybe in this sense, you may want to consider turning this into a BnW image to convey the message of shades of grey. PS it to enhance and add a greater range of tones. maybe 1-10 or 12. Look out for the yellow tint in the sky too.

Overall, i suggest to do a reshoot on this subject. Find a more interesting angle. It could be low or high, super wide or super close up. keep trying. I'm sure you'll find sth you like soon.

Hope my noob suggestion helps. :)

Cheers

the reflections you are referring to takes an unimportant position, forced by the mess of structures to the lower third, and not even filling up enough space to attract any attention. the puddle of water is just a puddle of water with not much reflection to talk about. with so much clutter inside the frame, you've chosen a difficult angle to demonstrate your intention.

yeah, i did...tks for the tip

Looks like a casual/convenient deliberated snapshot.

Casual/convenient - becos it did not take much effort; did not move away from the usual eye-level
Deliberate - becos the eye wants to keep this image
snapshot - becos the creator did not put enough thought, did not find the appropriate angle to enhance the image as seen by the eye.

Suggestion;

Find an angle closer to the puddle (probably to your right and down to the ground, with the pillars for perspective) , go down on the knees need be. Wide angle helps, but extreme angles works too, especially if your cheek or chin is already in the puddle.

yeah, i have a few shots close to the ground, but the effects didn't turn out very well. tks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.