Comments on Velbon 640/630 Carbon Fiber Tripod


Status
Not open for further replies.

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#1
Hi,
I'm considering getting a Velbon 640/630 Carbon Fiber tripod. I've personally tried out the tripod in EastGear and from the looks of it, the quality is not bad at all.

For all those who have gotten these Velbon Carbon Fiber tripod, I would like to gather comments from you. what do you think after using the tripod for a while? how is the leg locks and the ankle bracelet compare to the gitzo's? do you think it would last very long?

Thanks for your advise.

;p
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#2
I'm using the older version of the Velbon Carmagne 630 at the moment and I love the weight, i.e. about 1.35kg and coupled with the Acratech Tech's Ultimate Ballhead (weighs about 0.45kg) and a set of legs warmers, they are still under 2 kg! I never feel it's a burden to carry it around and it's still going strong after 2 years of use.

However I find the newer models a tad heavier ... :think:
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#6
Using the 630.. think it older then Adam's

Anyway, Love the weight of it. Coupled it with a Markins M-1Q and still under 2KG. It nver been the same anymore. The one that EG has, seem to be a bit heavier.

It sturdy enough and construction is good on par with teh gitzo's. Anyway, the best way is to feel it out yourself.
 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#7
Bluestrike said:
Using the 630.. think it older then Adam's

Anyway, Love the weight of it. Coupled it with a Markins M-1Q and still under 2KG. It nver been the same anymore. The one that EG has, seem to be a bit heavier.

It sturdy enough and construction is good on par with teh gitzo's. Anyway, the best way is to feel it out yourself.
Feel it, tried it, played with it, weight it already... I can say I'm pretty much tempted, and plan to couple it with the AUBall... but for 599?... I'll like to see how long lasting it is... especial for the ankle bracket and the leg locks... if these dies somewhere down the road, the tripod is virtually useless wha... :sweat:
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#8
RossChang said:
Feel it, tried it, played with it, weight it already... I can say I'm pretty much tempted, and plan to couple it with the AUBall... but for 599?... I'll like to see how long lasting it is... especial for the ankle bracket and the leg locks... if these dies somewhere down the road, the tripod is virtually useless wha... :sweat:
Well unless you talking abt wear and tear of the parts, I think it shld not have been a problem. not sure abt the ankle bracket, but the locks are still working fine on mine since I got it from someone else. maybe 3yrs or more? :dunno:
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#9
I think it does not just apply to Velbons but also to other makes. As long you take decent care of it, it should last for quite a while. Mine is heading into the 3rd year and it's still going strong but I do observe some cracks on leg locks ... :cry:
 

szekiat

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
2,252
0
0
London
Visit site
#10
Just my 2c worth. You get what u pay for. The Velbon is by no means the best CF tripod available. If u are to compare against a gitzo of similar load capacity/ht/etc, the gitzo will win hands down. However, the price is also quite prohibitive. For most practical purposes, the velbon is a great tripod. However, if u're intending to mount a heavy setup(400mm, 500mm), i'd advice that u invest in a gitzo and a Wimberly or ArcaSwiss Head. Don't risk it. The joints are also not as well sealed as a gitzo, so if u shoot in a sandy area(mudflats), i'd suggest that u avoid it. I have a hell of a time taking it apart for cleaning each time. The legs of the gitzo are also somewhat thicker in material, hence more hardy.
 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#11
szekiat said:
Just my 2c worth. You get what u pay for. The Velbon is by no means the best CF tripod available. If u are to compare against a gitzo of similar load capacity/ht/etc, the gitzo will win hands down. However, the price is also quite prohibitive. For most practical purposes, the velbon is a great tripod. However, if u're intending to mount a heavy setup(400mm, 500mm), i'd advice that u invest in a gitzo and a Wimberly or ArcaSwiss Head. Don't risk it. The joints are also not as well sealed as a gitzo, so if u shoot in a sandy area(mudflats), i'd suggest that u avoid it. I have a hell of a time taking it apart for cleaning each time. The legs of the gitzo are also somewhat thicker in material, hence more hardy.
Yalar, agree with u get what u pay lor... won't expect tip top quality... thou the feel and handling of the velbon I'll say just a bit off the top... but just like to find out experience of user of these tripod, cos I'll like my investment to last mar... :D
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom