comments on teleconverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phero-man

Apr 29, 2002
Punggol
Eagle Optics 5 X
Nikon TC-E3ED

contemplating... plus anyone knows where to get the Eagle Optics tele?

Thanks!

Originally posted by phero-man
Eagle Optics 5 X

contemplating... plus anyone knows where to get the Eagle Optics tele?

Thanks!

I want to know also. By the way, what is the magnification of Nikon TC-E3ED

er.... TC-E3ED is 3 X
TC-E2 is 2 X
Eagle is 5 X
there is also one by Tiffen at 2 X
and a Kenko 3 x

Originally posted by siewsphone

I want to know also. By the way, what is the magnification of Nikon TC-E3ED

For 1.4 x Teleconvertor, the light transmitted is reduced by 1 stop.
For 2.0 x Teleconvertor, the light transmitted is reduced by 2 stops.

Just wanna ask,

for the TC-E3ED 3 x teleconvertor and the Eagle Optics 5 x, how much light transmitted is reduced respectively? :dunno:

Thanks! :cool:

The f-stop reduction effect applies for teleconverters that are inserted between the lens and the camera body type. Front-mount teleconverters don't necessarily reduce the f-stop, because there is flexibility in the len design (size, mainly) to compensate for the reduction in light captured when you reduce the angle of view.

From what I know, TC-E2 and TC-E3 are designed with the diameter that maintains the same in-camera f-stop setting. i.e., when you use either of these tele-converters, there is no f-stop reduction.

When I made my own scope for my CP995, the scope actually increased the effective apperture, such that the camera (in aperture priority mode) metered a higher shutter speed with the scope attached.

I'm using the 707.... well I wanted to get the teleconvertor...most pple ask me to get the B300 which is 1.7x but after trying a friend's B300 I feel that 1.7X is so little. Well are there like more then 1.7x for the 707?? like u guys say the 5x one... can it be use on 707?? or are there more then 5x?? Just curious? Heard that too much 'x' will get the image distorted. How true? Really want something to zoom further man..:dunno:

Originally posted by phero-man
er.... TC-E3ED is 3 X
TC-E2 is 2 X
Eagle is 5 X
there is also one by Tiffen at 2 X
and a Kenko 3 x

if you're testing out 3rd party (non-camera manufacturer) teleconverters, check that they perform to specs (or close to). I've tested a number of 2x teleconverters and they are only between 1.3 to 1.8x. Another 2.5x teleconverter easily available is only 1.5x.

Originally posted by roygoh
The f-stop reduction effect applies for teleconverters that are inserted between the lens and the camera body type. Front-mount teleconverters don't necessarily reduce the f-stop, because there is flexibility in the len design (size, mainly) to compensate for the reduction in light captured when you reduce the angle of view.

From what I know, TC-E2 and TC-E3 are designed with the diameter that maintains the same in-camera f-stop setting. i.e., when you use either of these tele-converters, there is no f-stop reduction.

When I made my own scope for my CP995, the scope actually increased the effective apperture, such that the camera (in aperture priority mode) metered a higher shutter speed with the scope attached.

Wow! You essentially have a light amplifier! :) You DIY-ed a telescope?

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Wow! You essentially have a light amplifier! :) You DIY-ed a telescope?

Regards
CK

Yeap. Made one a few months back, using lenses bought from www.surplusshack.com and PVC pipes. The chromatic aberation wass too high. So I bought another front element lens which is supposed to be achromatic, but haven't the time to assemble that yet. You can read about it here:

http://www.pbase.com/roygoh/homemade_digiscope

sounds cool... maybe I should make one instead of buying one.. they seem so expensive! :dunno:

Originally posted by chaotic
sounds cool... maybe I should make one instead of buying one.. they seem so expensive! :dunno:

If you are talking about tele-converters with 2X or less magnification, they aren't really that expensive. I bought my TC-E2 in Singapore in Feb for ~$180. That was at least US$25 cheaper than in the States.

If you are talking about higher magnification, then the scopes are more expensive.

However, a DIY scope may not be the best solution. They may be cheap and easy to make (and a lot of fun!), but it is very difficult to get good optical quality, as I have experienced with my scope. Furthermore, it is very tricky to attach the camera to the scope. And, if your camera is not the Coolpix 9xx seriece with the 28mm DIA lens, the optics will be even more difficult to design.

I remember YSLee also had some experience in digiscoping his 995. You might want to check with him.

yah I know it's cheaper in Singapore because right now I am studying here in the states and have been looking at the prices. ;-) That's why I am not buying yet besides of coz, the financial cost and there's actually no "need" for it, just a want.

Just if anyone is interested, CP quoted me

Nikon TC-E2 @ S$170.00

which I think it's not a bad deal comparing to the prices in the states, then again, there's no shipping charges in Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.