Comments on my proposed LRPS panel


Status
Not open for further replies.

SzennyBoy

New Member
Mar 3, 2002
690
0
0
46
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
#1
Okay, talk about exposing oneself to possible public humiliation...

I've finally summoned enough courage to put together my panel of 10 images to apply of the LRPS distinction with the Royal Photographic Society in March 2004. Before it gets sent off, I would greatly appreciate any comments from fellow CSers on my proposed panel - good and bad... all comments/critique will be accepted!


Update - 29 March 2004 :cool:

You can view the submitted panel here.

Thanks! :embrass:
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#2
almost all your shots are architectural.
izzit supposed to be like that?
I'd prefer more variety if it's not restricted.

& I'd also prefer to see more colours, as B&W to me is lack of playing with colours.
 

#3
Great shots but is the selection based on archi? If so, then no problem but would like more depth on some of the shots. Though I'm under qualified to say much but I would like the panels to be arrange in a visual format where one leads to the other.
The one with the face should start as the first and the rest of the shots piece together as a photographic journey for the judges to see your creativity, even within the presentation then just from your shots alone ;)

Just my 2 cents
 

SzennyBoy

New Member
Mar 3, 2002
690
0
0
46
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
#4
AReality said:
almost all your shots are architectural.
izzit supposed to be like that?
I'd prefer more variety if it's not restricted.

& I'd also prefer to see more colours, as B&W to me is lack of playing with colours.
Although a theme is not required for the LRPS submission, it has been warned by the RPS workshops that too much variety is not good. My goal is to use these architechural themed shots for my LRPS panel and play with macro/close-up for the more advance ARPS panel later this year or next (ARPS definitely must follow a proper theme and have a short write-up on the panel!).

Colour images are far too common and for me not as technically challenging as proper B&Ws (all my B&Ws were shot on B&W film, no ps involved). :D


SniperD said:
If so, then no problem but would like more depth on some of the shots. Though I'm under qualified to say much but I would like the panels to be arrange in a visual format where one leads to the other.
The one with the face should start as the first and the rest of the shots piece together as a photographic journey for the judges to see your creativity, even within the presentation then just from your shots alone ;)
More depth in some of the weaker shots is something I think I agree with. I'm contemplating substituting one or two from the current panel ("Words of Wisdom" is one strong candidate for substitution).

Fair point on the sequence issue. I'm still playing around with it on the presentation front but the idea of starting with the "Face" is quite appealing.
 

SzennyBoy

New Member
Mar 3, 2002
690
0
0
46
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
#7
SniperD said:
The one with the face should start as the first and the rest of the shots piece together as a photographic journey for the judges to see your creativity, even within the presentation then just from your shots alone ;)
SniperD,
Thanks for the suggestion on the presentation point... that idea came in very useful in the end! The distinction assessment by the panel of judges was held last Friday in Bath, and I've been informed that pending the final ratification by the RPS council (official paperwork stuff, etc), I have been successful and should receive the official letter and certificate sometime in April. Here's the final panel selection that was submitted for the distinction. :D
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#8
SzennyBoy said:
SniperD,
Thanks for the suggestion on the presentation point... that idea came in very useful in the end! The distinction assessment by the panel of judges was held last Friday in Bath, and I've been informed that pending the final ratification by the RPS council (official paperwork stuff, etc), I have been successful and should receive the official letter and certificate sometime in April. Here's the final panel selection that was submitted for the distinction. :D
Wow, congrats! :D
 

#9
SzennyBoy said:
SniperD,
Thanks for the suggestion on the presentation point... that idea came in very useful in the end! The distinction assessment by the panel of judges was held last Friday in Bath, and I've been informed that pending the final ratification by the RPS council (official paperwork stuff, etc), I have been successful and should receive the official letter and certificate sometime in April. Here's the final panel selection that was submitted for the distinction. :D

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!! :cheergal: Happy for ya! :)
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#10
I am actually very curious.
What exectly were the judges looking for?

I can see that some of the photos are excellent, but I just can't see what they're looking for.

Care to enlighten me ?

Thanks.. :)
 

#13
AReality said:
I am actually very curious.
What exectly were the judges looking for?

I can see that some of the photos are excellent, but I just can't see what they're looking for.

Care to enlighten me ?

Thanks.. :)
FYI...

For the Licentiateship (LRPS) assessment criteria - 10-image panel

Control of Medium
1. Camera Work
Is the choice of viewpoint and lighting sympathetic with the subject?
Has focusing and exposure been accurately executed?

2. Technical Quality
Has contrast, highlight and shadow detail been properly controlled?
Is the colour balance acceptable?
Are there any processing faults i.e. chemical staining or spots that need attention?

3. Appropriateness of Technique
Have the appropriate materials been chosen and is the format acceptable?
Has the correct shutter speed and depth of field been selected?

Seeing & Thinking
4. Visual Awareness
How decisive is the arrangement and composition?
Has imagination and creativity been adequately explored.

5. Communication
Do the images empathise with the viewer?
Is the desired information and mood conveyed?

Breadth of Approach
6. Range of Work
Has the subject or subject areas been adequately explored?
Are the materials and techniques used acceptable?

7. Presentation
Has the final submission been edited and selected to present the strongest possible portfolio?


For the Associateship and Fellowship assessment criteria
ARPS:15-image panel in a specialised catergory
FRPS: 20-image panel in a specialised catergory
Also requires a statement of intent of not more than 150 words describing the aims and objectives of the work, stating very clearly the purpose of the photography shown in the submission.

Associateship & Fellowship Catergories:
Applied and Professional
Film and Video
Nature
Science
Contemporary
Visual Art
Documentary and Visual Journalism
Research and Development in Photography
Printing
Slide-Sound Sequences
Travel

Different catergories have different set criteria which can be downloaded from the RPS site's Distinctions page in a word document file. You also need to be a member of the society to be able to use the distinction behind your name (just like a Chartered Engineer or Accountant needs to belong to their appropriate Institute to use their appropriate Engineering/Accountacy titles).
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom