Comments on iPod as a Digital Photo Stroage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapman

Jan 22, 2003
Eunos
Visit site
Anyone using the iPod as a Digital Photo Storage? Heard that there is a new Belkin Media Reader that transfer files via Firewire speed (300kbps). :bigeyes:

Opinions on the transfer speed, battery life and stability are appreciated ! :)

Also heard that the battery will be drained 1st B4 your 1GB has finished transfered.

battery runs out so fast??

still considering of getting I-pod or creative nomad 60GB for storage :think:

so anyone any suggestions for huge portable storage?? :dunno:

AReality said:
Also heard that the battery will be drained 1st B4 your 1GB has finished transfered.

Is it that bad? I heard that it can play about 4 hours of music before the batt runs out. :think:

Just to add... Belkin just introduced the new Firewall media reader. It replaces the old USB reader. So the transfer speed should be faster (in theory), rite? :think:

Mapman said:
Just to add... Belkin just introduced the new Firewall media reader. It replaces the old USB reader. So the transfer speed should be faster (in theory), rite? :think:

Not sure about the firewire one, but the original media reader that transfers CF to the IPOD's harddisk is very badly done. It's so slow that it takes hours to finish a big transfer. The harddisk spins continously, and so the battery goes flat before your big transfer is complete. There is no status indicator, so its impossible to know whether your transfer succeeded or not. I would avoid it.

well, 1st and 2nd Generation iPod battery lasts up to 10 hours for music playing. Personally tested my (2nd Gen), and it can last 10 hours.

Anyway, 3rd Gen iPod battery can last up to 8 hours due to the smaller battery used. No idea how long will be battery last if used with the media reader, you can always Google for reviews. Last i heard that the performance aren't that great.

Belkin Media Reader

There is another type of device from Belkin that allows you to copy your pictures to your 3G iPod. It requires USB connection from your camera to the device and the device will be connected to iPod as well.

Belkin Digital Camera Link

lhjz said:
battery runs out so fast??

still considering of getting I-pod or creative nomad 60GB for storage :think:

so anyone any suggestions for huge portable storage?? :dunno:

just get a Hitachi 40GB/60GB/80GB 2.5" Notebook HDD from SLS and get X-DrivePro/Nixvue from EastGear. Or just a USB 2.0 portable hdd casing from SLS if you only intention is to use it as a external HDD.

caseytan said:
just get a Hitachi 40GB/60GB/80GB 2.5" Notebook HDD from SLS and get X-DrivePro/Nixvue from EastGear. Or just a USB 2.0 portable hdd casing from SLS if you only intention is to use it as a external HDD.

I second this suggestion. You can buy this for $300+, and it will work better at storing photos than the IPOD. If you should lose your precious storage device due to accident or theft, its bad enough you have lost all your photos without the additional hardbreak of losing a $700-900 IPOD with all your MP3s.

After much searching thru the internet forums for comments, here's the conclusion:-

1. Belkin Firewire Media Reader is VERYYYY SLOOWWW...(<300kbps) 1GB transfer may take 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete. This potentially will drain the iPod totally. :thumbsd:
2. Using the iPod as a Storage device uses more battery life than normal MP3 playing, as the hard disk is in continuous spin. :thumbsd:
3. Belkin Digital Camera Link is slighty faster (abt 0.8Mbps). This will reduce the time compared to the Firewire Media Reader by 2.5 times. However this is still slower than other Photo Storage Devices (ie. Nixvue).This cost abt S$100 when purchased online.
4. If one already have an iPod, then maybe can look at the Belkin Digital Camera Link. But for really serious photographer, and transfer speed is an issue, then go for Nixvue, etc... ;)
5. If you do not have an iPod, and you're mainly looking for a Photo Storage, then go for Nixvue, etc...

Well, since I already got a 15GB iPod, will explore the Belkin Digital Camera Link option. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.