Apr 16, 2002
magixshoe.clubsnap.org
i am tinking of upgrading to this cam

wat are the pros and cons of this cam?
and wats the current price at AP?
any additional accessories to get ?

pros:
- good image quality
- long zoom. 10x. not many digicams have this. and its tiny compared to the slr equivalent.
- great night shot capability.

cons:
- price
- 3megapixels would have been nice
- macro capability not too good
- CCD has dead pixels. please do the following test before u buy it. with lens cap on. set to f2.8,16s,ISO100 shutter and take a shot. see if there are any dead pixels.

i use the following accesories:
- UV filter
- circular polarizer
- tripod
- 4 sets of AAs
- small camera bag
- 232MB worth of smartmedia memory which will give u ~580shots
- 2.0 teleconverter (will bring zoom to 760mm!)
- rayovac 1hr charger (great as this cam uses a lot of power)

I don't know what the price is.

check out my shots

thnx mad dog

got afew qns

wat is a UV filter used for?
polarised filter is for taking the sky one rite?
how about the tele converter? extra zoom??

and wat do u mean by the marco not so good?

and for the dead pixels i have read comments about it and regarding the remapping or reflashing of lastest firmware done at oly sg(where issit?) when buying if i test liao got dead/hot pixels can reject rite

and one more question... normally u guys take shots using manual or auto?

wont it be too troublesome to bother about so many manual settings to take note of before each shot?

paiseh hor newbie here

UV filter filters out uv radiation which camera sensors are sensitive too. without this your shots might appear a bit bluish. I always have my UV filter on. It is more to protect my lens than for any other reason. If something hits my filter, its no big loss.

Polariser is good for bright sunlight. Removes any unwanted sunlight and makes the shot less washed out. One side-effect with my camera is that I cannot focus at maximum zoom with this filter. Make sure to get circular polarizing filter instead of linear.
Shots taken with polarizer

This camera has a macro mode but i can't get too close to a subject. I can't obtain focus. This is an example of how close I can go. Quite pathetic. There are filters(close-up) that can allow a camera to go closer. I need to experiment with that.
Macro

About the dead pixels. I dont think this can be resolved by remapping. I think you need to change the whole CCD which is very costly. Shop around and find the one with the least problems with dead pixels.
Olympus has a care center at river valley.

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
and one more question... normally u guys take shots using manual or auto?

wont it be too troublesome to bother about so many manual settings to take note of before each shot?

paiseh hor newbie here

I take a lot of daylight shots with Auto mode. It will save you a lot of time. The camera gets it right most of the time. When its not so bright or if you want certain effects, then go manual.

icic.....
so its good to have the UV filter on all the time regardless of indoor or outdoor shots uh
can protect the lens against figner prints too rite

can take a shot of the polariser and UV filter?

for the marco how close can it go w/o the close up lens?

so for normal shots the auto should be able to take good pics liao rite

anymore 2100uz users care to share?

The UV is for protection. ;)

Example of macro shot, first picture:
Macro

The auto mode has served me well. Excellent for outdoor shots. But indoor and nighshot, better to switch to manual.

Originally posted by maddog
- CCD has dead pixels. please do the following test before u buy it. with lens cap on. set to f2.8,16s,ISO100 shutter and take a shot. see if there are any dead pixels.

if you do that test, you'll be looking at hotpixels. Hotpixels are normal for long exposure, digicams that do not display hotpixels have noise reduction built in, just that the 2100uz does not. To check for DEAD pixel, you need to take a shot with a fast shutter to isolate dead pixels from hotpixels, as dead pixels appear in every shot but hot pixels appear only in long exposures.

Originally posted by Tweek

if you do that test, you'll be looking at hotpixels. Hotpixels are normal for long exposure, digicams that do not display hotpixels have noise reduction built in, just that the 2100uz does not.

Hey, just a question. What are some of the digicams out there with noise reduction built-in? Not SLR type.

Originally posted by revenant

Hey, just a question. What are some of the digicams out there with noise reduction built-in? Not SLR type.

Olympus C-3020z, C-40z, C-4040z......

Canon A30, A40, G1, G2, Pro90is.........

The other brands not sure.

Originally posted by Tweek

if you do that test, you'll be looking at hotpixels. Hotpixels are normal for long exposure, digicams that do not display hotpixels have noise reduction built in, just that the 2100uz does not. To check for DEAD pixel, you need to take a shot with a fast shutter to isolate dead pixels from hotpixels, as dead pixels appear in every shot but hot pixels appear only in long exposures.
to test for dead pixels issit cover the lens and take a pic with fast shutter speed and check for any bright dots?

to test for dead pixels issit cover the lens and take a pic with fast shutter speed and check for any bright dots?

Yes...these are what ppl commonly called 'Black Frame Tests".

Originally posted by Jayan

Olympus C-3020z, C-40z, C-4040z......

Canon A30, A40, G1, G2, Pro90is.........

The other brands not sure.

Was amazed that A40 also have noise reduction built-in :eek:

hmm icic..... so wat other points must i take note of when i get the cam?

i am afraid that the picture taken wont be as vibrant as my current fuji cam....

2100uz
UV filter
polarizer
cam bag(do they give a bag for it? big enough for all the stuffs?)

wat else do i need?

hmm icic..... so wat other points must i take note of when i get the cam?

i am afraid that the picture taken wont be as vibrant as my current fuji cam....

2100uz
UV filter
polarizer
cam bag(do they give a bag for it? big enough for all the stuffs?)

wat else do i need?

Is close-up filters needed? :dunno:

Was amazed that A40 also have noise reduction built-in :eek:

Yup...for exposures more than 1.3 sec. Mostly likely it's the 'Black Frame Elimination' NR method.....

Is close-up filters needed? :dunno:
not sure leh
heard that the marco for this 2100uz is 20cm?
with the +4 filter how close can i get to the object?

Pro:

-Good price
-Have IS built in
-Nice to hold
-BIG 10x zoom
-Full manual control possible

Cons:

-Discontinued
-Bad Bad Bad quality of pic at night (Hotpixel)
-No NR (Noise Reduction resulting in terrible night shots)
-Got distortion(Wide angle got distortion if you look clearly)
-Heavy/Bulky
-Quality not very good , but acceptable.

My humble comment. Do not flame =p hehehehehee :) ;)

Olympians...set target on Klause...ready...aim...fire!!! :devil:

:D :D :D

Sorry...but what do u mean when u put 'quality' under cons???

Status
Not open for further replies.