Comments needs for close up shot

kaixinxuan

Mar 27, 2012
Hi all, I tried my raynox close up filter 250 at SBG this morning. Managed to get this shot by focusing on the inside of the flower. However the pictures seems a bit blur. Exposure is ISO400, f4, 1/1000. Needs some comments how to improve this picture. Thanks.

photostream

Let me help you post the pic:

Hi all, I tried my raynox close up filter 250 at SBG this morning. Managed to get this shot by focusing on the inside of the flower. However the pictures seems a bit blur. Exposure is ISO400, f4, 1/1000. Needs some comments how to improve this picture. Thanks.

photostream

Please learn how to post the image URL, not the main Flickr page. There are guides on this in the newbies stickies, and Flickr itself has a "sharing" feature.

6903774896_46ff487333_b.jpg

Your DOF is too shallow. There's a very thin sliver of sharpness at the bottom of the petal. You need to close down your aperture or focus on something else.

From what I can see, my guess is that your DOF is too shallow. f4 at close range gives a really shallow DOF. Try something like f8~f16. Thou your ISO will be on the high side. If it's get too high, consider using diffused flash (but in this case, a diffused flash may not also work...cos the hole of the flower is quite small).

Also, using a tripod can help you get better focusing too...*I guess you are doing the cha-cha dance to get the focusing* by just breathing (or when the wind blows), it can change your focused spot change.

Last edited:
Thanks both for helping to post up the pictures and comments given. Will try to take the pics again during my next trip.

Will read up on how to post the pics. :)

Hi SkyStrike,

What do you mean by cha-cha dance? Care to say more so that I can understand and improve. Thanks.

erm, this cha-cha thingy is when you are focusing on the subject, your body move forward and backward to get the focusing right...

One question. How do I know the magnifying ratio of the pictures that I am taking?

Last edited: