Comments needed re Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwalescouple

Sep 19, 2008
Hi everyone!

Ive always been keen on photography and Ive just treated myself to an E3 (got it last Thursday). Its quite a jump for someone who has only ever practiced point and shoot!

Ive been doing a photography course and as I result I choose to use manual mode on my camera and select my own aperture and shutter speed. Ive read the theory now I want to put it into practice!

I would appreciate some comments with regard to exposure etc. and choice of aperture on my first few photos.
http://www.poweredbywhitebox.com/questions/images.htm (ignore the strange URL!)

One of the issues....
The picture of my daughter shows a blurred out background - I wanted a narrow depth of field and (to me) that picture works (I am sure some of you will disagree!). What I dont understand is why when using the same aperture the same didnt happen on some of the car picture - the depth of field isnt what I wanted and the background is a lot sharper than I wanted.

Another issue....
The end picture on the page has a sky that looks almost gray. That wasnt what it looked like!

Any and all (constructive) comments gratefully received good or bad!

Hi everyone!

Ive always been keen on photography and Ive just treated myself to an E3 (got it last Thursday). Its quite a jump for someone who has only ever practiced point and shoot!

Ive been doing a photography course and as I result I choose to use manual mode on my camera and select my own aperture and shutter speed. Ive read the theory now I want to put it into practice!

I would appreciate some comments with regard to exposure etc. and choice of aperture on my first few photos.
http://www.poweredbywhitebox.com/questions/images.htm (ignore the strange URL!)

One of the issues....
The picture of my daughter shows a blurred out background - I wanted a narrow depth of field and (to me) that picture works (I am sure some of you will disagree!). What I dont understand is why when using the same aperture the same didnt happen on some of the car picture - the depth of field isnt what I wanted and the background is a lot sharper than I wanted.

Another issue....
The end picture on the page has a sky that looks almost gray. That wasnt what it looked like!

Any and all (constructive) comments gratefully received good or bad!

Okay.... manual.... does it makes you more PRO ? Don't even try to use it unless u know what you want. The only time I use manual is when I'm doing panaromas and I fixed my aperture, shutter speed, white balanace and focus after I figure out using the camera's help.

90% of the time, I stick with Aperture mode. Why ?
Reason 1: Changing Aperture affects your exposure
Reason 2: Changing Aperture affects your DOF

The metering system in the camera will decide for your the shutter speed you need to get the correct exposure. If not, use the Exposure Compensation feature on your camera to get the right exposure.

Using Shutter priority is normally not desired because the camera will automatically control the aperture will affect your DOF too, unless you don't care, which in fact for me, I care alot about my DOF. DOF will decide which is your outstanding subject when doing portrait.
Only one instance I use it, when I'm on flash. I will set my shutter speed to 1/30s and let the fill-flash do it's job. I get a nice bright face with sufficient time for the background lights to fall on the sensor.

Programmed mode, I hardly use it.

Your focal length is too wide to get any shots to have good DOF. Unless of course, you stand very near to the subject and focus at a close spot.

DOF is dependant on focal length of the lens, aperture used and distance of subject to camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.