Comments directed to models, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is about one's acceptance... we will comments in our way, whether the person accept it or not, is out of our control...

I took a look at the model's blog and she looks vastly different compared to the pictures posted in the thread where she looks tired and much older (I thought she was 30 in one of the picture). Of course the term "aunty" is subjective too because to some 30 may be aunty while to others it's still XMM teritory so I believe it's fair game.

The aunty look is great.

I commend the photographer's abilty to be able to capture such a mature look.

:D

maybe we should take the comment in context?

in this case, "the model looks auntie" can be understood as "the way the picture was taken/the make up was styled makes the model look like an auntie".

I agree with you.

I don't like younger women anyway. Older women are the way to go.

Increasingly younger men are finding older women attractive, sophisticated and desirable.

And more and more girls are spotting the mature Auntie Look to entice these men.

So telling a girl she looks like auntie is a kind of compliment.

Try that to a girl and you may get more than you ever think of.

:bsmilie:

I feel personally that comments on CS should not be personal attacks, like unjustified name callings. Of cos ppl are entitled to their own comments and i think as models they throw themselves into this line (allow their pics to be commented), they have not much choice and should keep an open mind to healthy criticism for them to improve. Well beauty is subjective, but i think we should also spare a thought for the person recieving the comments.

As for the "aunty" comment, personally it could swing both ways..
"looks aunty"? it could be the commenter is commenting on the makeup, dressing etc.. in this sense this is not a personal attack, but rather a comment to improve on the various aspect that make a XMM look like an auntie.

If he is commenting on the face, then i think it's not good because we can't choose the face we want when we were born and such directed comments are pretty personal.

However going back to the thread, i personally dun see any malicious intent, it's just a cheeky remark and i do feel that your response was quite over-the-top, it could be due to your desire to protect your model which i can understand but we cannot stop comments whether it's good or bad, if we choose only to listen to the good ones then we cannot improve. However if we feel that the comments are unjustified after looking at our work then just ignore it and move on. No need to get so worked up...

Just my 2 cents... :)

We have grinded the auntie aspects of this topic to ad nauseam. However, the bigger picture is, why are so many of us, feel that we should not comment on the model, particularily regarding her looks, and especially if the comment is negative.

Are we, photographers here on this island, clinging onto a fantasy and do not like to see others busting the bubble?

Can you define what this fantasy is?

From personal experiences I feel there's a fair bit of ego involved. Let's face it, photographers are not the humblest of people, after all, we need to have some pride in our work to show it to other people right?

Unless it's a team effort, more often than not the photographer controls what goes into the picture, including the model. If a model doesn't fit the role or bring out the theme, you can choose to blame the model - or you can blame bad casting.

It seems too that we all have the idea that models must be pretty young things with perky bits, but heck if you want to shoot an ad for (for lack of a better example) adult diapers I think you'd go for an older crowd wouldn't you?

As photographers it's good to be involved emotionally with a picture you're making, but when it comes to critique, I feel the great photographer is able to step back and detach himself from his work. In other words, be able to critique his own work objectively, even pointing out his own mistakes instead of making lame excuses like oh the sun was too harsh I was shooting without lighting equipment/etc (wait for better light) or oh the model was inexperienced (get a better one or instruct her accordingly). That to me is the mark of the great professional photographer.

I realised by now I probably haven't answered your question succintly but I think you can catch bits and pieces of what I mean heh heh.

Meanwhile I'll go think of a better answer to your question. ;p

Exactly DP alredi quite TAME now... He used to say:' my 5 year old kid can shoot better than u...'

If 1 cannot take comments be it good or bad just say NO CnC require... Save the problem of getting angry...

Sorie my 1/2 cents tot..:kok:

maybe we should take the comment in context?

in this case, "the model looks auntie" can be understood as "the way the picture was taken/the make up was styled makes the model look like an auntie".
Then why wasn't it said like that? As I said, it is the responsibility of the poster to ensure his/her posts are not offensive or rude.

Offensive or rude is subjective in some caes. Many members have pointed out that the original statement did not seem offensive. I happen to think it is harmless. If anything to me at least, the first blow was dealt by an overly defensive TS, but it is not my place to question the actions the moderators have chosen to take.

It is also our responsibility to take control of our own actions and emotions and not overreact is it not?

That matter has been beaten to death and subsequent action has been taken, why bring it up again? :)

Exactly DP alredi quite TAME now... He used to say:' my 5 year old kid can shoot better than u...'

If 1 cannot take comments be it good or bad just say NO CnC require... Save the problem of getting angry...

Sorie my 1/2 cents tot..:kok:

Actually, I think I said ... my 5 year old god son ...

which is the case, he is rather gifted and very creative ...

Offensive or rude is subjective in some caes. Many members have pointed out that the original statement did not seem offensive. I happen to think it is harmless. If anything to me at least, the first blow was dealt by an overly defensive TS, but it is not my place to question the actions the moderators have chosen to take.

It is also our responsibility to take control of our own actions and emotions and not overreact is it not?

That matter has been beaten to death and subsequent action has been taken, why bring it up again? :)

Why bring this up again? Becasue the general sentiment still is, thou shall not give any negative comments on the xmm that I shot! And this sentiment is absurd.

well, i didnt expect some of the photos to trigger off a netive comment, and a fierce dispute after which turns into an disscussion which everyone is activly participating.

Firstly, i thik since i has neevr objected to canoised in posting up my photos in Cs for comments and such, i am in a very willing position, of course to accept any comment, despite positive or negative :)

and being known to me, yamapi is infamous for his lack sensitiviy:eek: and the knack of speaking his feelings ( with or without thinking )
maybe it feels like an embarrassing truth to me, but when i look at the photos, sure and behold i dont look like 17 years old, isn't it? :D
and i think he commented that in the first place because he knows my age, and hence, result in the "aunty" impression.

As most of the model here have an account, i think its still alright to comment on the model's post/ makeup so they cn furthur improve
UNLESS the photographer disallow it, which he has the responsiblity to clarify in the first place .

Thats why I dont shot models, so troublesome. :bsmilie: I for once truly agreed with DP. Why cant we coment on the model? if the model is beautiful and the photographer can bring out her beauty, den its not entirely the model's fault. The model must know which angle she look good and which angles she look bad.Different models have different sweet angles. I remember an article I came across whereby before a model shoot, this photographer get the model to sit on a rotating stool, den he make snap shots form 3'oclock to 9'oclock at 3 levels, eye level, high and low level. total 21 photos. Den he will put these photos side by side and select the angle that the model look best. I think he call it profiling. with this infomation, he will be able to get the best from even the ugliest model. That is the level of photography standard I wish to achieve. However, I know that posting photos in CS sometimes is a waste of time. You wont get good critic for you to improve and you even get apauled for lousy photos, which make you making the same mistakes if you are not aware.

Thats why I dont shot models, so troublesome. :bsmilie: I for once truly agreed with DP. Why cant we coment on the model? if the model is beautiful and the photographer can bring out her beauty, den its not entirely the model's fault. The model must know which angle she look good and which angles she look bad.Different models have different sweet angles. I remember an article I came across whereby before a model shoot, this photographer get the model to sit on a rotating stool, den he make snap shots form 3'oclock to 9'oclock at 3 levels, eye level, high and low level. total 21 photos. Den he will put these photos side by side and select the angle that the model look best. I think he call it profiling. with this infomation, he will be able to get the best from even the ugliest model. That is the level of photography standard I wish to achieve. However, I know that posting photos in CS sometimes is a waste of time. You wont get good critic for you to improve and you even get apauled for lousy photos, which make you making the same mistakes if you are not aware.

Haha nonsense, I saw your albums your avian models are very beautiful indeed. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.