comment on various brand of SDHC card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Are all SDHC card of the same class made equal? some forumers commented certain brands are slower than others but type of class is a standard does it not mean it should comply to the minimum standards of that particular class? of cos some may perform faster than others but the differences should not be that noticeable right?
Any comment on the brand of the card we should get or avoid?

It's not which brand is faster or slower but on the speed of the card itself. I personally recommend Sandisk.

Are all SDHC card of the same class made equal? some forumers commented certain brands are slower than others but type of class is a standard does it not mean it should comply to the minimum standards of that particular class? of cos some may perform faster than others but the differences should not be that noticeable right?
Any comment on the brand of the card we should get or avoid?
Not so much on photo but on video...its the make or break if you want to record on HD.

3116410999_de331e4583.jpg

The 3 brands above are value for the money with Kingston the only afaik one that offers actual Lifetime warranty rather then product lifetime warranty 5 years.

Sandisk not inside as doesnt really make sense to pay 2x but doesnt give 2x the performance.

to answer the question, which class depends on the bitrate of the camcorder like 6MB, 19MB or 24MB or rather how nice you want the video to be.

Last edited:
how would you rate the speed of the card? example i have 3 class 6 cards of various brand all should conforms to the speed of class 6 specifications? u mean there are some that actually performs below class 6 specifications eventhough it is rated as class 6?

Last edited:
how would you rate the speed of the card? example i have 3 class 6 cards of various does not all conforms to the speed of class 6 specifications? u mean there are some that actually performs slower eventhough it is rated as class 6?

Class 6 only means that it have a min speed of of 6MB/s... an old Sandisk Ultra II already have 9MB/s write speed and it is also Class 6.

Its classify as Class 6 as long have the minimum speed. For Maximum speed depends on the manufacturer.

in photography terms,

compare a Sandisk CF Extreme IV 8GB $124.60, for the same money can get almost 3x CF 16GB Kingston Elite Pro 2. If your camera buffer write speed is slower then the card then not optimising the card. If your camera buffer is as fast as the memory card then worth it lah. Most gadgets are designed with the minimum speed in mind.

Now in terms of HD video, eg AVCHD capable or rather the Raw form of video in a matter of speaking...
Only if you are using Class 4 or above then can use the HD1080p while if use Class 2 will be recorded in SD.
Example the Transcend 16GB Class 6 is $66.

As long the card you are using matches the gadget then okay. memory cards are getting cheaper and cheaper that i dont bother getting future proof memory card. I buy when i actually need it.

Last edited:
I also prefer Sandisk.... they are more expensive.. but you get what you pay for... :thumbsup:

Even though it's 5 years warranty as compared to Kingston's lifetime warranty, it's still worth every single bit.

Even though it's 5 years warranty as compared to Kingston's lifetime warranty, it's still worth every single bit.
at the price it commands...it had better be.

Agreed... I lost count the number of "Kingston" that die on me... :cry:

My motto now is "Memory is cheap, Memories are forever"... :)

Countless Kingstons died on you? Man, you must be pretty unlucky... I've had 7 different Kingston CF/SD Cards before... All have served me well!

I use both Kingston and Sandisk... I have noticed that the Sandisk Extreme III is faster than my Kingston Ultimate 2...

:think: 2 of my kingston SD served me well for the pass 3yr+ without even one data corruption so far..
sandisk might be faster than the equiv, but one need a camera that can utilize the speed and also one need to do enough burst shot to see the difference

Countless Kingstons died on you? Man, you must be pretty unlucky... I've had 7 different Kingston CF/SD Cards before... All have served me well!

I use both Kingston and Sandisk... I have noticed that the Sandisk Extreme III is faster than my Kingston Ultimate 2...
that is correct..i also observed that but i dont have any gadgets that would actually make use of Sandisk faster write speed. The only Sandisk that i have would be thumbdrive for copy data from one computer to another.

its safer to have a mix of various brands memory cards just in case.

I am not so lucky, have a few data corruption and 1 lock drop-off... all from Kingston.. Even though I can get most of them change for free.. but I still have to make my way down to the building opposite to SLS... :(

its safer to have a mix of various brands memory cards just in case.

Personally I feel that they just don't make memory cards that they used to be.... I have a few old memory cards (256MB or 512MB) that is more durable than the current 4GB & 8GB card... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.