Coming to Singapore...pls recommend shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanphang

Aug 27, 2002
Malaysia
www.allanphang.com
Hi all,

I will be coming to Singapore from 2nd Dec - 5th Dec 2002.

I'm interested in getting a dry cabinet from Singapore as I believe the prices are cheaper here than in Malaysia.

Can the forumers in the house please reccomend some shops that sell dry cabinets?

I did a search and found out so far to avoid "Alex Photo" shop due to a member's unfortunate experience with his purchased lens.

I'd really appreciate it, if the name of shop,location,and which mrt ride to get there kinda info. would be of excellent information.

(My apologies if this is a repeated post. Couldn't really find any accurate posts while searching for similiar subject)

Have a nice day & thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Allan

Originally posted by allanphang
Hi all,

I will be coming to Singapore from 2nd Dec - 5th Dec 2002.

I'm interested in getting a dry cabinet from Singapore as I believe the prices are cheaper here than in Malaysia.

Can the forumers in the house please reccomend some shops that sell dry cabinets?

I did a search and found out so far to avoid "Alex Photo" shop due to a member's unfortunate experience with his purchased lens.

I'd really appreciate it, if the name of shop,location,and which mrt ride to get there kinda info. would be of excellent information.

(My apologies if this is a repeated post. Couldn't really find any accurate posts while searching for similiar subject)

Have a nice day & thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Allan

You can take a mrt train to City Hall MRT station, get out from the station and cross the road . First of all, you'll see Captiol Building, with some shops at the first storey. Next to it on the left, you'll see another 3 storey building, that's the Capitol Centre. Walk towards that direction. After the Captiol Centre, you'll hit Peninsula Plaza, a tall grey building with Bata shoe shop at the corner. Go into the building, somewhere behind the lifts, there's a little alley full of camera shops. Alternatively, you can go to the 2nd floor with another 3 camera shops. Unfortunately, one of them is Alex phot, since you mentioned it.

Walking the same direction out of Peninsula Plaza, you'll see Peninsula Shopping Centre, on the 1st storey, there are some camera shops which you might want to take a look.

Another place you might want to visit is the John 3:16 at Funan. That's next to the Peninsula Shopping Centre, a pink building. Walk further down, for the main entrance, take the escalator up, to er.. 3rd or 4th floor, you should be able to find that shop.

Cheers, and enjoy your shopping. :p

Togu,

Wow ! Detailed & concise directions ! Thanx man ! I'm travelling by bus (N.I.C.E) Quite afraid of transporting the dry cabinet all the way back to K.L !!

Guess I have to get a unit with a complete cardbox with adequate protection for the packaging.

BTW, does anyone have an estimate price range of dry cabinets being sold at the places Togu mentioned above ?

My budget is around S$200 - dry cabinet inclusive of the electric control & RH Gauge (indicating the RH inside the cabinet) and a control button (to control the RH , usually displayed as L, M and H).

Cheers,
Allan

Originally posted by togu
/togu do belly dancing for Goondu :p

Sorrie, allanphang and togu, but have to do this...

/goondu puke at the sight of belly dancing by togu.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

guys! guys! get back on topic.

Allan, since you will be here for a couple of days, let us know when you will be going down to Peninsula Plaza and hopefully some ClubSNAPper will be free to accompany you. If I am free, I don't mind showing you around.

Another alternative for affordable dry cabinets is CK Tangs in Orchard Road; and also Carrefour in Suntec City (altho Carrefour's supply is a bit erratic).

How big a dry cabinet are you looking at - S$200 should get you an average sized one.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the offer ! Well, got to check my schedule first. I just discovered my trip is 50-50 now cause the ppl I'm supposed to go with are now in a 50-50 decision.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. What's your contact ? Might give you a call if things turn out as planned .

I'm looking at storing 2 bodies, and 3 lenses. Average sized one should be sufficient, eh?

Cheers,
Allan

I'd recommend Toyo Living (for now). Had two bad experiences with "Tropic-Dry". Toyo-living costs $330 or something like that, but it comes with a 5-yr warranty. I'd avoid the cheaper sub-$200 dehumidifiers - I have come across too many people who have had problems with them. You might be lucky and it might work well, but it's a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.