Comfortable Bag Strap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plinius

May 22, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a bag strap to replace the original Lowepro strap. presently i've in mind:
1. Op/Tech Bag Strap http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=3&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4
2. Domke FA-140 Gripper Strap + US Post Office Shoulder Pad
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=16172&is=REG

Which one would be a better choice? would appreciate other recommendation too.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers....

Hi,

FYI, there's a travel shop on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Paragon that sells neoprene bag straps. Sorry, I can't remember the name - haven't been there in awhile. It might cost less than getting it online.

The neoprene strap definitely makes a difference for heavier loads (so Optech rather than Domke). Try it out.

Cheers.

I've used both and the Domke one is definitely better. But the problem is that the material wears out quite fast, less than 2 months! Once worn out, it becomes sticky and attracts lot of dust.

As for the Op/Tech strip, it is too bouncy for me. But I guess you have to try it out and let us know your preference.

Tachi..

the Domke shoulder pad so jialat? 2 months only wear out liao???? sianz 1/2 liao...maybe it is not suitable for our weather.....where u brought the strap to? heh......

I cannot try leh, coz me in Ulu town of USA, everything have to be bought online one.....

Tachi said:
I've used both and the Domke one is definitely better. But the problem is that the material wears out quite fast, less than 2 months! Once worn out, it becomes sticky and attracts lot of dust.

As for the Op/Tech strip, it is too bouncy for me. But I guess you have to try it out and let us know your preference.

Tachi..

You can try the Eagle Creek strap. I think this is the one: http://www.eaglecreek.com/40197.html

It's extremely comfortable as it's very well padded and the extra broad design helps to distribute the weight over your entire shoulder and beyond. ;)

Can get at those outdoor shops selling bags but it's usually out of stock (they fly off the shelves it seems).

The optech strap is good, but its not really meant for heavy sling bags. Depending on your load, I think anything heavier than what goes in a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 200AW will result in massive bouncing of the bag :bsmilie:

Does it mean that the Domke Gripper + Shoulder pad will not bounce?

Thanks

Splutter said:
The optech strap is good, but its not really meant for heavy sling bags. Depending on your load, I think anything heavier than what goes in a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 200AW will result in massive bouncing of the bag :bsmilie:

I've tried that too i.e. using both straps together, but the issue is that as long as Domke strap is resting on your shoulder, it will wear out.

All the while, I don't think I've brought to extreme weather, just walking around with it in local.

Tachi..

I'd say domke, I don't like the bounce of the optech, especially when the bag is fully loaded and heavy. Why not ask your wife/girlfriend along your shoots and carry the bag for you.

I even have an optech camera strap which is sitting in a box.

heh...that's funny dude!!!

my wife is half my size/weight! by end of shoot i have to carry wife and bag home!!! CMI man!!!!

heh.......

ortega said:
I'd say domke, I don't like the bounce of the optech, especially when the bag is fully loaded and heavy. Why not ask your wife/girlfriend along your shoots and carry the bag for you.

I even have an optech camera strap which is sitting in a box.

fooj said:
i also want to buy the eagle creek strap, any want can recommend which shop selling it??

I've tried asking at 4 different Sports Connection shops and in the end only 1 of them had stock (centerpoint). In fact, i bought the last piece they had. :eek: Maybe their new stocks have arrived by now, why not give it a try?

sports connection at peninsula has eagles' creek strap about 1 month back.

I'm using an Optech bag strap now for my notebook bag (which I almost always overload ... notebook, documents, ipod, power bricks), and the "bounce" is not too bad. The neoprene takes some of the weight off, and I guess if you want something more rigid, you'd have to tolerate the full load on you shoulders without any absorbency.

So in my mind, it's worth trying ... and for US$20, if you don't like it, can just go and try another one. At least you'll have a spare.

reachme2003 said:
sports connection at peninsula has eagles' creek strap about 1 month back.

Any idea how much is one going for?

plinius said:

If I were you, I would still consider Eagle Creek as it is 'tested and proven' by a lot of local photographers here :) If you like a comfy strap, which can support a decent load without the 'bounce' - Optech straps :bsmilie: , this is IT.

I have been using the said strap with fully loaded wedding gears (i.e. spare body, spare flash lights, spare batteries ..etc) and it has yet to fail me on a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 500AW.

I hope this helps. My fren's cam shop carries the KATA strap locally but somehow I tell u I will still choose the EC's strap. Of cos, if I like 'bouncy' straps, I would have to choose Optech :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.