Comex '03 - Nikon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
noticed their ad in comp-times today, only now they're sneaking a peek for the public for the D2H... anyone going, please take a couple more pics of the D2H if it's on show ok! ;)

wonder if by any coincidence, if the EOS-300D will make a show at the same show.... ;)

if both appear... FIREWORKS! :D (albeit targetted at different sectors...)

I will be going down there tml...if possible, I will try to take some pictures.. :)

went there today.
nothing much there 'cept for the pentax *ist which they say would be launched at the end of the month at a price of 3k plus.. sianz.

didnt see the D2h or the 300D there. and the S5000 was a little disappointing. sommore they selling the S2pro body at 3k+... more sianz. :mad2:

sehsuan said:
wonder if by any coincidence, if the EOS-300D will make a show at the same show.... ;)

Asked a guy at the Canon booth this afternoon. He said nope. :(

Nope....no pics of dummy model of the D2H at all. All they have at the Nikon Booth (manned by CP personnel like Vincent, Alison, etc) was a huge Nikon billboard with the words D2H ! Not even a poster of the D2H was there....... Unless I was late and everything was snapped up.

raychan said:
Nope....no pics of dummy model of the D2H at all. All they have at the Nikon Booth (manned by CP personnel like Vincent, Alison, etc) was a huge Nikon billboard with the words D2H ! Not even a poster of the D2H was there....... Unless I was late and everything was snapped up.
Actually there was a hologram of the D2H above the billboard which can only be viewed from the front.

saw the Pentax D*ist

at S$3188, someone mumbled that it cost more than the Canon 10D. He said the street is about S$2500+ (?).

If this is true, I am truely disappointed. On the price.

Equally disappointed was that there is virtually no info that the dealer/ agent can provide if my old M-series lenses can work on the D*ist ? They show me the "sales guide", their internal document, and asked me to read thru all 20 pages. NOTHING that can confirm this. Yes, those older manual K-mount lenses. cannot be used with teh camera's auto Av, Tv, P etc etc function. i am fine with that. Manual is OK. But meter readings and focuing on open apreture / manual f-stop preview mode..... no answers, that is if the girl & the man behind the counter understand my question.

If really, then I get the body language from Pentax and the local agent that my decision to buy Pentax 16 years ago, was a BIG NIG mistake. Should have scrip, save & beg for the $$ to buy a Nikon or Canon. I was a secondary student then.

Now that I can afford a slightly better lifestyle, I got a slap in the face that my old lenses are best, er, scaped or placed in the time capsule ? May have to reinvent the whole setup again....... from 15mm to 400mm to the bellows & filters....

sianz

Lensman said:
saw the Pentax D*ist

at S$3188, someone mumbled that it cost more than the Canon 10D. He said the street is about S$2500+ (?).

Equally disappointed was that there is virtually no info that the dealer/ agent can provide if my old M-series lenses can work on the D*ist ? They show me the "sales guide", their internal document, and asked me to read thru all 20 pages. NOTHING that can confirm this. Yes, those older manual K-mount lenses. cannot be used with teh camera's auto Av, Tv, P etc etc function. i am fine with that. Manual is OK. But meter readings and focuing on open apreture / manual f-stop preview mode..... no answers, that is if the girl & the man behind the counter understand my question.

If really, then I get the body language from Pentax and the local agent that my decision to buy Pentax 16 years ago, was a BIG NIG mistake. Should have scrip, save & beg for the $$ to buy a Nikon or Canon. I was a secondary student then.

Now that I can afford a slightly better lifestyle, I got a slap in the face that my old lenses are best, er, scaped or placed in the time capsule ? May have to reinvent the whole setup again....... from 15mm to 400mm to the bellows & filters....

sianz

U might wanna look ard the pentax forum in dpreview and the pentax mailing list (found it by accident before, cant remember now).

Newman said:
Actually there was a hologram of the D2H above the billboard which can only be viewed from the front.
Its not exactly a *hologram* - the way it was described to me, it was a 3D projection of an *actual* D2H which is inside the column.

Darren said:
Its not exactly a *hologram* - the way it was described to me, it was a 3D projection of an *actual* D2H which is inside the column.

nikon-1.jpg

so there is an ACTUAL camera inside?

Yes, actual and fully workable sample inside :)

icic...no wonder looks so real! so u manage to pursuade them to take out and let u play play? Or u have already tried it out long ag? :D

Wonder if there are anyone guarding nikon booth at nite... :think: :devil:

sORI o.t. HERE. Hi Ger,so you look up up again. :D

Lensman said:
saw the Pentax D*ist

sianz

According to *ist D specifications (http://www.pentaxusa.com/images/products/istD_Specs.pdf), it says "K mount lenses usable with restrictions". It's commonly believed to be in the same league as the other 4 film bodies (MZ-50, MZ-30, MZ-60 and *ist). As such, there's a trick around the "metering and shooting only at wide aperture" problem. Don't mount the lens completely, and it effectively becomes a manual diagphragm lens.

You might be interested to know that if you had bought into the Canon FD mount 16 years ago, it would be obsoleted that very year in 1987. The first EOS camera was launched then, probably at a price tag few students can afford.

Nikon's physical mount has not changed, try mounting an old series F-mount lens on a some new Nikon bodies now and see if it works. Olympus OM mount has also been recently been declared obsolete by the company, without a replacement SLR mount other than the digital-only four-thirds system.

Pentax has faithfully been serving its customers with unparalleled mount compatibility till today. With the exception of 4 bodies (or 5, if the *ist D proved to be unable to meter with K/M lenses), all other bodies work 100% with all K-mount lenses made from 1975 (that's almost 30 years ago). Which other brands gives you that? The closest would be Nikon and its vast lens system (both AI and pre-AI series), but you have to be fortunately enough to own a good, old mechanical Nikon body.

For a company to survive, it's understandable that they will move on and introduce more gimmicks to earn more money out of consumers. You have to decide if you will want to be sucked into the scheme of things.

Managed to turn the dial a bit on the camera, and pressed the sutter buttons a few times, ask the fellow that open the camera for me, he mentioned that it would be released in 2 weeks times, and the RRP at $3000+, but likelihood the price should be around Canon 10D price.

I like the sound of the shutter...

Lensman said:
saw the Pentax D*ist

kelvinang said:
According to *ist D specifications (http://www.pentaxusa.com/images/products/istD_Specs.pdf), it says "K mount lenses usable with restrictions". It's commonly believed to be in the same league as the other 4 film bodies (MZ-50, MZ-30, MZ-60 and *ist). As such, there's a trick around the "metering and shooting only at wide aperture" problem. Don't mount the lens completely, and it effectively becomes a manual diagphragm lens.

You might be interested to know that if you had bought into the Canon FD mount 16 years ago, it would be obsoleted that very year in 1987. The first EOS camera was launched then, probably at a price tag few students can afford.

Nikon's physical mount has not changed, try mounting an old series F-mount lens on a some new Nikon bodies now and see if it works. Olympus OM mount has also been recently been declared obsolete by the company, without a replacement SLR mount other than the digital-only four-thirds system.

Pentax has faithfully been serving its customers with unparalleled mount compatibility till today. With the exception of 4 bodies (or 5, if the *ist D proved to be unable to meter with K/M lenses), all other bodies work 100% with all K-mount lenses made from 1975 (that's almost 30 years ago). Which other brands gives you that? The closest would be Nikon and its vast lens system (both AI and pre-AI series), but you have to be fortunately enough to own a good, old mechanical Nikon body.

For a company to survive, it's understandable that they will move on and introduce more gimmicks to earn more money out of consumers. You have to decide if you will want to be sucked into the scheme of things.

well said...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.