Combination of 35mm 1.4g and 85mm 1.4g for weddings

mzhaf7

Sep 3, 2010
hi all.. need some advice for my wedding gears.. currently my setup is d700 + 24-70 and d90 + 50mm.. i was thinking of getting a 35mm 1.4g and 85mm 1.4g.. is it a good combination for weddings?? from ur experiences, is 35mm wide enough for group shots?

35mm can still be tight in hdb and for larger table or group shots. But you need to see which focal length suits you more. Look through all the weddings you have shot so far. See what wide focal length been using so far.

Since you guys are taking group photos, can I ask what aperture to use to group photo? Is 5.6 good enough for group shot having front row and back row.

with flash, i use 5.6.. without flash at least an 11..

u need at least 1 wide angle for group shot, tokina 11-16 for ur d90? or 16-35 for ur d700?

with flash, i use 5.6.. without flash at least an 11..

Without flash 11? Not quite possible for indoor shot right unless you can boost up your ISO... my concern is more towards wedding banquet table shot.

table shoot usually is with flash and wont be using f1.4, likely to be at least 5.6. so yr 24-70mm can do the job, and a 35mm on FF is just nice.

was looking at your signature and realized the 11-16 there. you use it at 16mm on fullframe? how is it?

5.6 is good enough, but make sure you focus on something in the middle of the group, not too far front or back. 35 is a nice perspective for group shots cos you won't have too much problem with distortion(wrt front/back distortion, not geometric), but i think unless you intend to do alot of shooting at 1.4, you could go for the f2D version instead. same with the 85, if you dont need the speed, the 85 1.8 is a v good performer as well.

for that price you could also consider the 70-200, may or may not fit your shooting style but can give it a try too =)

was looking at your signature and realized the 11-16 there. you use it at 16mm on fullframe? how is it?

5.6 is good enough, but make sure you focus on something in the middle of the group, not too far front or back. 35 is a nice perspective for group shots cos you won't have too much problem with distortion(wrt front/back distortion, not geometric), but i think unless you intend to do alot of shooting at 1.4, you could go for the f2D version instead. same with the 85, if you dont need the speed, the 85 1.8 is a v good performer as well.

for that price you could also consider the 70-200, may or may not fit your shooting style but can give it a try too =)

11-16mm on FF? ok, its a poor man UWA lens to replace 14-24mm. Vignetting is super minimal without filter at 16mm.

hi all.. need some advice for my wedding gears.. currently my setup is d700 + 24-70 and d90 + 50mm.. i was thinking of getting a 35mm 1.4g and 85mm 1.4g.. is it a good combination for weddings?? from ur experiences, is 35mm wide enough for group shots?

compared with your 24-70mm and 35mm, shooting at 24mm will put more guests in the photo shoot and you can be sure it is sharp at corners for 24-70.

u need 17-35 for the wide on d700
85 for the D7000 for extra tele

d700 + 24-700 is wide enough
but 3room place + group photos is a little tough

35 can hold it for the time being

Last edited:
Every lens can be used for shooting weddings. It really depends on your own style, what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot.
When you shoot more, you should know your style and your needs. Just following other people's advices won't help you much because everyone is different and have their own style.

Speaking from my own personal wedding, unless u have a few bodies,else., imho, a short zoom is far more convenient.... If not u probably be keep switching lens & missed out many critical moments..... Just my few 0.0000001cts

ok.. i think my main question which maybe i did nt reitirate was, from ur experiences, whether 35 mm is wide enough for table to table grp shots..

Yes a 35mm is adequate for a table group shot..... I usually request that the some of the guests stand and gather up around one side of the table.

You can also consider a 24mm. Using custom function on the D700/D3/D3s/D3X- you can easily swap FX - DX view so the 24mm becomes a 35mm FOV equivalent.

I have undertaken many wedding assignments before & my experiences say that the 24mm is more ideal compared to the 35mm. The 35mm is adequate becos I found that people in general will group close together as a reflex action when group photos are taken (probably many have not heard of wide/ultra wide angle lens, much less used one or they know how tight 35mm lens are). As the photographer you can direct, position the people & they will normally co-operate, oblige. But many times you may encounter space constraints since weddings are packed with people with many moving about, even blocking your view/path. With the 24mm you can move closer for more intimate group photos as well take in full table of people of say 12-14 people without moving anyone around. Also, many times the settings are beautiful & we want to include more of the background surroundings in the photos rather than just straight people-shots. I used the 35mm with the 85mm for more than 10 years but on reflection, wished I had the 28 or 24 which would give me more space, freedom, flexibility & assurance. Nothing beats the 24-70 for such events unless you have 2 FF bodies, with both 24 & 85 primes mounted, which is the best. Just sharing my own experiences.

Last edited:
mzhaf7 said:
ok.. i think my main question which maybe i did nt reitirate was, from ur experiences, whether 35 mm is wide enough for table to table grp shots..

Erm. Depend on siituation...
Let say u hold a 1000 table wedding in ballroom fullerton, maybe a 17-35 or 16-35 or 14-24....
Say if u hold a 50 table wedding in the same fullerton ball room, ya 24 or 35 will be good... :)

35mm can just manage, seriously u have to see the table to table spacing to decide if got space to shoot. BTW 35 is a better perspective, in my view.

GReddyZC76 said:
Speaking from my own personal wedding, unless u have a few bodies,else., imho, a short zoom is far more convenient.... If not u probably be keep switching lens & missed out many critical moments..... Just my few 0.0000001cts

If you anticipate what's happening in a wedding, chances are you wouldn't miss out critical moment. Really, you just have to plan what to shoot before changing len, at the correct time.