Colours on 300D appears bland and dull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just a question. Do you guys set to AWB when shooting on 300D? does the colours appear very dull and boring? Do you guys stick on to AWB then increase the saturation in PS or is there a better solution?

have you checked which processing parameter you are using? if parameter 1 is not good enough you may create a custom parameter and bump up the saturation. or could it be you're shooting in adobe rgb?

for WB, i only use custom wb as a shoot in RAW.

Nitrile said:
have you checked which processing parameter you are using? if parameter 1 is not good enough you may create a custom parameter and bump up the saturation. or could it be you're shooting in adobe rgb?

for WB, i only use custom wb as a shoot in RAW.

Hi, thanks for the reply.. I'm using para 1, not in adobe rgb.

Show u what i mean...
test2.txt

original pic

test.txt

pic after increased saturation in ps

your picture is oversaturated, IMO. try creating a custom parameter with saturation bumped up a level. was this shot on a cloudy day?

Nitrile said:
your picture is oversaturated, IMO. try creating a custom parameter with saturation bumped up a level. was this shot on a cloudy day?

the second pic is over? hehe..ok..will take note

yup, was shot in a cloudy day...
in fact, the pic was taken today.

ordinaryless said:
what do u mean camera messed up the white bal?
sometimes AWB gets screwed, thats why i almost always use custom WB + RAW unless i want a quick snapshot and i set it to auto mode where only AWB and parameter 1 is available.

Nitrile said:
sometimes AWB gets screwed, thats why i almost always use custom WB + RAW unless i want a quick snapshot and i set it to auto mode where only AWB and parameter 1 is available.

Ok...thanks for explaining..

Btw, ya version of my pic looks nice..what did u do in ps?

Nitrile said:

i never tried raw before..seems lots of post processing needed and the number of shots i can contain in my CF is greatly limited

R U using the 18-55mm? I find that the colours from that lens a little dull and it improves with more expensive EF lenses.

My 50mm/1.8 Mk I and 28-80/3.5-5.6 Mk I both 10 years old give much better richer and saturated colours and do not need much post processing unlike those I take on the 18-55.

L lenses are even better but $$$$$.

Contax fans think real Zeiss lenses are better still for colour.

A personal take by a noob.

I think the 2nd picture is way over-saturated on the greens. Perhaps u like vegetables? :D

I'm not sure abt wad the rest think but I suspect its ur color calibaration on ur monitor dat's out, thus u see the 2nd picture as 'normal' to u.

U might wanna check the color calibaration on ur monitor first.

If u're a Mac user, juz recalibarate ur monitor using the utility provided in OS X. If u're a Windows user.... I'm not too sure abt it.... Consult the other more Windows-suavvy fellaz around here... :D

ordinaryless said:
the second pic is over? hehe..ok..will take note

yup, was shot in a cloudy day...
in fact, the pic was taken today.

Hmm.... very familiar pic... thou i saw someone taking this pic on last Sat afternoon... was that you?

Cheers

I think if you shoot in adobe RGB and raw mode, you can do whatever post processing you need in photoshop. playing around with the camera's parameters is just doing the post processing in camera and is thus limited to only those modes available,

you can't really complain when you've got all the RAW data there just to meddle with in photoshop.

just pick up a good photoshop book, suggest katrinn eastman's photoshop restoration.. (forgot exact title).

Russ said:
R U using the 18-55mm? I find that the colours from that lens a little dull and it improves with more expensive EF lenses.

My 50mm/1.8 Mk I and 28-80/3.5-5.6 Mk I both 10 years old give much better richer and saturated colours and do not need much post processing unlike those I take on the 18-55.

L lenses are even better but $$$$$.

Contax fans think real Zeiss lenses are better still for colour.

Thanks for the info..indeed i was using the kit lens..hmmz, maybe its time i get 50mm

Buy only if you need it, colour reproduction is also dependent on the glass elements within the lenses, of course, higher end glasses produces better colours & saturation, but for DSLRs I find that post processing is still necessary even if u shoot RAW :(

Btw, I swing both sides when it comes to BUY BUY BUY!!! Let see what you should buy now... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.