Colourful Siloso Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

picture

Nov 3, 2005
Central, Singapore
1477233231_1f43777956_o.jpg

It was the colours of the whole scene that captures my attention, the blue sky (not so blue actually on that day), the brown sand, and in between the colourful Siloso.
Felt that the coconut trees on the side also complement well with the Siloso words.
Took this picture around 3+ in afternoon, so sun was still shining bright. Maybe i should wait for the shadows to be longer before taking the shot.
Wanted to capture some activity in the background so waited for someone playing frisbee to come into the picture.

Some pp was done, levelling, up the saturation abit, sharpened.

Comments welcome... :) composition? exposure good? Tot it will be better if i can retain the details on the tree trunks..

Thanks.... :)

It was the colours of the whole scene that captures my attention, the blue sky (not so blue actually on that day), the brown sand, and in between the colourful Siloso.
Your color is a wee bit dull, think a polarizer might have helped a little. Might also be due to the effect of mid-day sun but also seem like you've tried to pull back the shadows in PP. Also, in a way you are on the wrong side of the sign (klooking at shadows), if you're on the other side then the colors would glow out more in the direct sun that should immediately attract your eyes there.

Wanted to capture some activity in the background so waited for someone playing frisbee to come into the picture.
Err.. looks to me more like a distration as it's only one of them. The trees are also not really adding strongly to composition since you've cropped them with half their leaves. It's one of those things where you either include them or not.

It's a good subject but you need to explore taking from more dramatic angles or views. I think you might have rushed this shot a little.

Your color is a wee bit dull, think a polarizer might have helped a little. Might also be due to the effect of mid-day sun but also seem like you've tried to pull back the shadows in PP. Also, in a way you are on the wrong side of the sign (klooking at shadows), if you're on the other side then the colors would glow out more in the direct sun that should immediately attract your eyes there.

Err.. looks to me more like a distration as it's only one of them. The trees are also not really adding strongly to composition since you've cropped them with half their leaves. It's one of those things where you either include them or not.

It's a good subject but you need to explore taking from more dramatic angles or views. I think you might have rushed this shot a little.

Thanks Shuttergraphy.. :) agree the colours dun really stand out.. i tried to increase the saturation in pp.. but didnt increase alot coz if i do then the sand will become reddish.. so i jus increase a bit. Also did increase the shadows abit.. i actually did put on a polarizer (bought it on that day) but dun really see much difference when used... maybe not using it properly.. think i need to learn more on how to use it properly..

Think morning will be a better time when the sun is shining on the Siloso words.. instead of coming from behind the words towards me..

About the frisbee person.. :bsmilie: i took a number of shots of people in the background..all dun look nice.. this is the best already.. but ya.. the person in that posture dun really tell much.. Will take note of the cropping..

Thanks again.. :) i will try to improve..

hihi...jus here to give my 2 cents:) i wld have prefered it in portrait style w/o anoyone in the picture and take at a lower angle up(this way the island in the background will be covered and not so distracting) show more trees and sky!:) yup.. thats how i imagine it might look nicer:) dunno how it'd really turn out...hehe

colours are not the main problem here,

the problem is the composition, there is a lack of focus , the tilted horizon in the bg, while not obvious immediately is still eyegrabbing to me, perhaps it is just me
and the trees are too abruptly chopped off, i would think a different angle/positioning of yourself might have solved this

Hi ozkid88.. think i can roughly visualise your method.. i will need to position myself nearer to the Siloso so that i can take at a lower angle up.. this should put more impact on the words.. and also the background should be covered coz the words will be much bigger..

When i go to sentosa again to shoot.. i will try this out and post here again.. :)

Hi night86mare..

agree.. a different angle should give a better picture... think i should jus focus on the Siloso rather than also wanting to capture the background.. as the background is quite messy..

About the tilted horizon, actually i noticed it too.. but i jus left it that way.. coz find that the trees on the left slanting inwards somehow balance the whole picture.. ;p
but you are right.. if anyone focus on the background... the horizon jus doesn't look right. Will take note of this.. :)

Thanks both.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.