Colourful reflecion amidst darkness

pksng27

May 15, 2010
Hi all,

My 'view' from Marina Barrage.

Never expected the place to be crowd with people and was too lost, as this is my first trip there.
Something bright and colourful caught my eyes as I looked far away in the dark water below. Yes, the reflection from the led lights from the Singapore Flyer and the busy and nestle of tall buildings in the background.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I hope to learn about the composition, and post processing etc. as this is the first time I do post processing. (beginner in photo taking too!)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hope that the vibrant colours reflected in the dark water brings life from afar...

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Crowded and feeling lost in the dark 'playground' at Marina Barrage, found amidst in the dark and far, bright lights and colourful reflections...giving cheer and hope to take my shot for the night.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the calmness and yet colourful reflection against the darkness and the showing the 'movement' of the Flyer in contrast.

Hope I posted this correctly.
Please advise and c. as I am also poor in expressing.
Thank you.

SFlyer.jpg

Last edited:
Two Over.

• Over Saturated
  • Over Exposed
May you reveal your setting?

Really? I think the exposure is just fine. Saturation okay too... But if want to tone down a bit, also ok.

TS, nice effort I think! You could also try a longer exposure to blur the flyer more, just my opinion :)

ps. Looking @ photo on iPhone might not be accurate :)

This is a safe shot. Nothing much you can express out of this photo. And there is nothing much you can change to improve the pic. Exposure is good. Saturation is good.

I like the motion you portrayed in the Singapore skyline ... most skylines are static and unmoving....

very 'clean' composition and you seemed to have nailed the long exposure :thumbsup:

love the reflections on the water too ....... it really balances or gives a good foundation to the image

Last edited:
a full-moon on the right of the image would have been a grand icing on this cake !!! ha ha ha!!

a full-moon on the right of the image would have been a grand icing on this cake !!! ha ha ha!!

i fully agree. but will it become the point of focus? (attention seeking? )

i fully agree. but will it become the point of focus? (attention seeking? )

or maybe a bluer sky? i suspect the photo was shot quite late in the night. a bluish tinge in the sky would be nice:think:

A full moon in the sky will burn a hole in the photo unless it is a well-controlled double exposure.

Good exposure and saturation:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's a nice & decent picture. Can still increase the brightness a little bit because it looks a little dim to me.

To improve on the composition, maybe next time can try a verticle shot, with a lot of reflections at the bottom half of the image (the reflection is nice in your picture, I really hope to see more of it here). Also, take note of the circumference of the wheel, try not to let it intersect with the "edges" of other buildings (especially the left building and the one in the centre of the circle; The one on the right alright.). This will make it looks much cleaner.

For me, I won't include the 2 buildings on the far left of the picture, because composition-wise there is too much space above it which holds no specific interest for me (the black sky makes it less interesting). Maybe, it will work if the sky is a deep blue color. :think:

This photo is quite good given the time at which you took this (I assume that it must have been quite late at night). The saturation is good, not overdone. However, I would have a slightly slower shutter speed to given the Flyer a more blurred effect. You might consider removing some of the reflections too since the object of focus in the picture is obviously the Flyer.

i like this composition.
More of reflection will be nice.
the top should crop a bit more.
:)

The leading-on of the expressway bridge to outside the frame is compositionally unsettling.

I would choose to crop off a portion on the right - just after the gateway. On this note, why not try out a 16:9 crop?

the composition isn't horrible, but it can be improved by shifting the frame left a little.

while this will probably introduce a bit more stray elements on the bottom left from what i can see, this has the added benefit of placing your primary subject (undoubtedly the flyer here) on the third, and strengthens the composition significantly.

would prefer a bit earlier, timing-wise, so that the sky would not be so dark. other than that, everything else is fine for me. i might prefer a cooler colour palette, but that's really personal preference.

just to tag along this thread and ask some questions. in this scenario, if i use a slower speed, the picture might turn out overexposed. How can i compensate for that given that the aperture remain constant?

just to tag along this thread and ask some questions. in this scenario, if i use a slower speed, the picture might turn out overexposed. How can i compensate for that given that the aperture remain constant?

Lower the ISO and if you've maxed that out, add a ND filter (best option) or CP if that's all you have.

I thought this pic is technically ok. Exposure and Saturation both ok.

What I think you should strive for next, is to get a little more creative with the composition from that view.

Here are some I shot, just to give you some ideas.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1301/4678663164_f963f1d7bc_z.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/3989718166_51f200a983_z.jpg?zz=1
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3845018647_b3e59d190d.jpg