Colourful lanterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccube78

Jan 6, 2004
Basically the strong colours and the symmetry prompted me to take this photo. Comments?

773077306b01a.jpg

Frankly, the picture is neither here nor there. It may probably be a nice catch in your opinion of symmetry and colour richness, but it's, for the lack of better word, too normal. Not knowing the circumstances whatsoever in which you took the photo, the picture looks to me just like how one would have seen the object, standing probably not too far away, head tilting slightly upwards looking at the whole array of lanterns. If the eye could see it as it is, and there's no inherent message to the picture, what make this picture special then?

I could make two suggestions though, if you really want to capture nice array. One, move far away, hopefully at the same elevation as the subject. Use a telephoto lens and zoom all the way in. This way, the objects would be compressed enough to give a real impact of the array.
Conversely, you could move all the way near or even underneath the object, shooting a direct upwards shot, giving some texture and dimension to the object, while capturing the array.

another view could be to go to the side and shoot a view with the lanterns overlapping each other.

by the way you should use a smaller aperture for more details, more dof and better colours

tough to shoot a nice pic out of these.... smaller aperture will ensure all are sharp but then nothing interesting. If you shoot at an angle and use a big aperture, maybe you can pick out 1 row as your subject and zoom close to blur out the rest.

I really like this picture, simple and the imperfections.

curious to know why you say it's simple and the imperfections? what is simple and where's the imperfections? Not wanting to pick on you but want to know how you feel abt the pic... this can help the poster better...

nemesis32 said:
tough to shoot a nice pic out of these.... smaller aperture will ensure all are sharp but then nothing interesting. If you shoot at an angle and use a big aperture, maybe you can pick out 1 row as your subject and zoom close to blur out the rest.

the original poster said "Basically the strong colours and the symmetry prompted me to take this photo."

so i suggested ways to improve the shot while keeping the above in mind.
i feel that picking out 1 row will break the symmetry, what do you think? :think:

ortega said:
the original poster said "Basically the strong colours and the symmetry prompted me to take this photo."

so i suggested ways to improve the shot while keeping the above in mind.
i feel that picking out 1 row will break the symmetry, what do you think? :think:
Well... i think if symmetry and colour is the theme.... i will shoot it from a low angle and diagonally... It will have strong lead in lines and can play around with DOF....

Thanks for the comments. I had another shot from underneath and side, but it just does not seem as good as the straight on one. Perhaps I should have explored more angles, like directly underneath the lanterns. The lantern are quite high up, no way to get to same elevation.

108_0809001.jpg

nemesis32 said:
Not wanting to pick on you but want to know how you feel abt the pic... this can help the poster better...

My reply yesterday disappeared, so let me try to put it down again.

simple in the sense that many would have pass and not take a second look, but it turns out to be rather nice.

imperfections as in the symmetry and the balance of the colors of lanterns, it is driving towards the abstract art. It left enough room for viewers to leave in the blank.

Now that I see the second picture, I really don't like that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.