Colour of the night

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
A little background...
Taken at Yukon, whitehorse. Tip of Canada.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

- Composition: the main subject is THE LIGHTS.

- Technical execution: This is a 30sec, ISO 1000 F2.8 shot at 16mm.

- Tonality: Slight saturation adjusted and WB adjustment.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

- Nothing too special here.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Total darkness, cant even see own finger.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

It's not too bad... took me alot of patience while waiting camping in the open at -10deg

2vwd1th.jpg

Nice... Like the colour combination here. Thumbs up.

it's an aurora!

i love the composition and i think you got the ISO just right.

You are very lucky to see the Northern Lights. Love the colors. While the sky here is marvellous, I'm thinking that shooting this from a even lower angle *might* (I don't know, I'm not there) allow one to have that leftmost tree to be more distinct against that sky, which would improve the composition significantly. Right now, it's just a sky with a lot of messy land. It's nice, but it can be better.

I can also see a sliver of light at the bottom of the frame, you can consider darkening that part further to make it true black.

In fact its taken at a low angle. The tree is very far away, about 200 m away

In fact its taken at a low angle. The tree is very far away, about 200 m away

In that case, going forward more and taking it at the same height while angling the lens upward more may help. :) But it's said and done, just a suggestion that you could take into consideration to try in future if such opportunity or similar dilemnas arise. Cheers.

Beautiful!

holy crap it's pretty! But CMIIW it seems a bit blur/shaky. Where did you take this?

no it not shaky.. it placed on tripod and 30 sec exposure.. what is CMIIW? Took in Yukon, Canada

CMIIW = correct me if I am wrong