Colour Mode on D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockPopCorns

Jan 1, 2005
Jurong
Hi folks, I know sometime back there's a discussion which colour mode can be develop to prints (??).
Sorry have to ask again, as recently got the D70, happily any how set the colour mode.. now worry had I set the correct one?? and btw how to change the colour mode setting on D70? I had look through manuals but can't find it..
what's the diff b/w sRGB and AdobeRGB? :sweat:
Thanks.

sRGB is the standard mode to use when to send for printing, the colour gamut matches closely to what a printer can provide.

AdobeRGB has a wider gamut range, but sadly it's not meant for printing but for just viewing off the screen. No printer can come close to the gamut range that can be used for AdobeRGB.

Go to shooting setup, there's a image quality at the top option or something, set it to custom, you can set the color mode to:

Mode I sRGB - more for portraiture, skins & humans.

Mode II AdobeRGB - meant for adobe colorspace

Mode III sRGB - meant for scenary, landscapes whereby the green is more defined.

Hope it helps.

Would you expect any problems at photolabs if using anything other than sRGB?

This has been discussed, the adobe gamut range is much wider than sRGB, if you attempt to send the AdobeRGB file for printing, your images will come out less contrasty and less vibrant as the printer is unable to replicate the gamut range since sRGB has a smaller range than AdobeRGB.

espn said:
sRGB is the standard mode to use when to send for printing, the colour gamut matches closely to what a printer can provide.

AdobeRGB has a wider gamut range, but sadly it's not meant for printing but for just viewing off the screen. No printer can come close to the gamut range that can be used for AdobeRGB.

Go to shooting setup, there's a image quality at the top option or something, set it to custom, you can set the color mode to:

Mode I sRGB - more for portraiture, skins & humans.

Mode II AdobeRGB - meant for adobe colorspace

Mode III sRGB - meant for scenary, landscapes whereby the green is more defined.

Hope it helps.

I learnt something new today. :vhappy:

espn said:
This has been discussed, the adobe gamut range is much wider than sRGB, if you attempt to send the AdobeRGB file for printing, your images will come out less contrasty and less vibrant as the printer is unable to replicate the gamut range since sRGB has a smaller range than AdobeRGB.

This happens only because most photolabs send the raw image data to the printer without proper colour management.

In a properly colour managed system, the aRGB data can be remapped into the sRGB gamut to achieve a perceptually similar result.

Zerstorer said:
This happens only because most photolabs send the raw image data to the printer without proper colour management.

In a properly colour managed system, the aRGB data can be remapped into the sRGB gamut to achieve a perceptually similar result.

I see, I learned something new today too.

But won't the system/photolab need to do the remapping for us? Or is the system capable enough to remap? I understand the aRGB is more wider in the gamut than sRGB, not by a bit but by a far difference?

:)

espn said:
But won't the system/photolab need to do the remapping for us? Or is the system capable enough to remap? I understand the aRGB is more wider in the gamut than sRGB, not by a bit but by a far difference?

:)

It depends on the software they are using. Profile conversions and remapping of colour spaces is what colour management is all about. Many photolabs simply do not know what colour management is all about nor would they bother to fully configure the system.

As stated, the result would be perceptually similar to the original colourspace, except for those far out of gamut.

Getting dull/desaturated colours is clearly a sign of directly sending raw RGB data from a wider gamut into a smaller gamut device.

Zerstorer said:
It depends on the software they are using. Profile conversions and remapping of colour spaces is what colour management is all about. Many photolabs simply do not know what colour management is all about nor would they bother to fully configure the system.

As stated, the result would be perceptually similar to the original colourspace, except for those far out of gamut.

Getting dull/desaturated colours is clearly a sign of directly sending raw RGB data from a wider gamut into a smaller gamut device.
I see. Thanks for the explanation, seems like I only barely scratched the surface of color profiling. Will be taking notes on this saturday's outing.

Cheers!

Zerstorer said:

Correct. This is why when viewing images on non-CM software which has a ARGB profile vs a CM-aware software: eg: IE vs PS. The CM-aware software just converts it.

Hi folks,
wanna post last night but connection was really bad... :cry:
Anyway, I got the answers and learned something from here.. :thumbsup:
next..... need to shoot more to get a hand on the D70 liao.. :bsmilie:
these few days were busy playing with it.. yesterday even brought to office and "showoff" to my few "senior" who using film :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.