colour management in photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

+evenstar

what are your colour settings in photoshop?? (Shift+Ctrl+K)

i've tried opening an image of myself in PS, and my shirt turns out slightly purple (though it's supposed to be blue). opening the similar image in other programs turns out ok, hence i conclude that it has something to do with my settings in PS.

if i click "Discard the Embedded profile", the shirt colour turns out ok...

anyone can help?

an illustration...

comparison.jpg

left image is a screen shot when taken in photoshop...right image is screenshot in irfanview and DPP...

these are my settings in PS...what should be changed??
settings.jpg

TIA

interesting. no idea lah..sRGB shld be able to output correctly. wait for other pros to respond etc.

The differences I can see with your settings and mine which are based on some recommendations I picked up are:

Color Management Policies
RGB : Convert to working RGB

Check the boxes
"Profiles Mismatches"
"Missing Profiles"

Did you check whether the image had an embedded profile? Some images do not have an embedded profile and for discussion let us say it is an aRGB color space image. Your settings may cause an aRGB color space to be displayed (not converted) in a sRGB space.

A simple experiment may confirm this. Force the image to be open in an aRGB color space and see if its the correct color. What is the source of the original image? From a camera or raw conversion or photoshop edit??

By the way, the IrfanView application is not color aware. Canon DPP is.

the image i opened is straight out from my camera, with profile intact....in DPP/IrfanView/Microsoft Photo Viewer, all are of the same colour, only Photoshop differs...

:confused:

What is your color space setting in the camera? sRGB?

Try checking the check boxes to ask what to do with profile mismatches and missing profiles to see if there is anything we are missing. I think its a color space not recognised properly issue based on the blue seen as purple but the white seems ok.

PM me for my msn id if you need help to take this one-on-one offline.

+evenstar said:
what are your colour settings in photoshop?? (Shift+Ctrl+K)

i've tried opening an image of myself in PS, and my shirt turns out slightly purple (though it's supposed to be blue). opening the similar image in other programs turns out ok, hence i conclude that it has something to do with my settings in PS.

if i click "Discard the Embedded profile", the shirt colour turns out ok...

anyone can help?

Did you setup DPP to use the right monitor profile? If yes, do the following:

Check Windows' ICM settings and see if either a default monitor profile has been selected or the right default profile has been selected (surely you know how to do this right?), and then, launch Photoshop (if you had PS previously when you did the monitor profile selection, close and then relaunch). Next, go to the color settings like you did, and, under the Working Spaces>RGB box, scroll UP and check to see the default monitor profile which you had previously selected is visible. If it is, it means that PS is using the right monitor profile now, and you can leave the RGB settings as you had shown.

Always get PS to read the tagged profile. There are few reasons not to do that.

I suspect that your Photoshop app is using a different monitor profile that DPP is using. DPP and Photoshop will show up pictures identically only if you setup color management properly, and then get both applications to use identical monitor profiles. My DPP and Photoshop always show the same thing.

I suspect you're seeing this because you're using a calibrated monitor, and most apps within windows only "sees" sRGB - Irfanview, Internet Explorer etc are examples of them.

You should set RGB working space to the ICM profile created by your calibration software, and set RGB Color Management Policies to "Off". When you save your images, you'll need to uncheck the ICC profile box in the Save As dialog box. These were the things I had to do to make sure that the colours in all my applications looked the same.

i've set my working space to my monitor profile, and colour management to off. however, i noticed the following:

when i right click the image and view it's properties, it's colour space is represented by "sRGB". after opening in CS2 and saving, it's colour space becomes "Uncalibrated"...

will this affect viewing/printing/etc?

+evenstar said:
i've set my working space to my monitor profile, and colour management to off. however, i noticed the following:

when i right click the image and view it's properties, it's colour space is represented by "sRGB". after opening in CS2 and saving, it's colour space becomes "Uncalibrated"...

will this affect viewing/printing/etc?

yup, it's normal cos you saved the image without any ICC profiles.

It shouldn't affect viewing. But printing-wise, it may. Since I don't print on home inkjets, my monitor is calibrated close to what the fuji lab prints so it doesn't affect my printing.

do you see all the images in the same color in different apps?

colour is the same for all software, EXCEPT DPP and PS.

i've sent the file to some of my friends and they say blue turns out blue, unlike my settings which turns out purple.

i've reinstalled PS and yet the problem persists..

are you setting DPP color management to sRGB or your monitor profile? I find it weird, but if I set it to monitor profile, the colours don't match, but when i set it to sRGB, the colour matches

maybe you could post a small crop of the original file for testing

knoxknocks said:
are you setting DPP color management to sRGB or your monitor profile? I find it weird, but if I set it to monitor profile, the colours don't match, but when i set it to sRGB, the colour matches
DPP is to my monitor profile...which gives weird colour. if i set it to sRGB it gives correct colour

those who want of a copy of the file pls PM me..

I had a look at the image last night and its 'purple' on CS2, DPP and EOS Viewer Utility. I am pretty sure my workflow is properly color managed.

What is happening is when set to 'monitor RGB' the image appears 'blue' as it is supposed to be. It has been confirmed inside photoshop by soft proofing the image to 'monitor RGB'. Note that 'monitor RGB' is the actual name of the ICC profile.

As to how the 'blue' had shifted to 'purple' when viewed inside photoshop I am asking the original poster to see if he can provide the original in-camera JPEG unprocessed for me to have a look. The EXIF from the JPEG I got apparently does not show all the EXIF I expect when viewed inside EOS Viewer Utility.

Untitled-2.jpg

I had tried out all colour space but no colour shift on my screen (using spyder profile).

Do other pics view in PS have colour shift also?

jopel said:
I had tried out all colour space but no colour shift on my screen (using spyder profile).

Do other pics view in PS have colour shift also?
In photoshop,

1. View --> Proof Setup --> Monitor RGB
2. CTRY-Y (or View --> Proof Colors)

Each time you hit CTRL-Y you are turing the image soft proof 'on' and 'off'. Pay attention to the area where the white stripes are and you should see a slight shift from pale purple to deep blue. Certainly its not the bright purple as above which is from an edited image where I believe during the editing workflow, the Green and Blue channel were clipped and not the Red channel. The histogram shows that the Green and Red channels were much closer to the right hand side than the Red channel.

If you use Image -- > Adjustment --> Color Balance in photoshop and move the Red slider to say -30, the 'pruple' will turn 'blue' as shown in the original post (right hand image).

It is quite interesting that the original poster raised this discussion because unless you get hit onto it, it is easily missed. My opinion are that even if you shoot in sRGB, its always best to convert to Adobe RGB and 16 bits when you do color editing work where good color reproduction is important. Once editing is done, its alright to convert back to sRGB and 8 bits to save. Nothing to loose but avoids potential issues like this one.

I actually found out about this Adobe RGB/16 bits the long way. Did a lot of prints with various combinations and color patches and its quite evident that converting to sRGB will shift colors particularly reds. Nowadays even when I send my images for outside printing its always on Adobe RGB color space. Most digital printers (Kodak Noritsu, Fuji Frontier) can print much bigger than the sRGB color space.

GL9D9676_CS2.jpg

+evenstar, the image you sent me gave me a schock :) jk :D

anyway, from initial check, no colour shift for me in Photoshop CS, DPP, Capture 1, Internet Explorer...used the soft proof to monitor RGB, no prob there as well...initial impression is might be a monitor calibration prob on your side there...

Will look further into it at later... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.