colour frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazkw

Jan 12, 2009
East Coast
www.garygraphy.com
i edit pictures based on my notebooks LED backlighting on LCD, and the end products always seems to be overly saturated with red on other notebooks.

what kind of simple means do you guys have on adjusting LCD colour without spending money on external calibration devices?

it can be a bit frustrating to see skin tones soooo red.

even if your screen is calibrated
when you view it on another un calibrated screen, the colours will still be wrong

experiment: get a web page with a photo
and display it on all the different screens, most likely that the picture will look different from screen to screen

not forgetting, viewing it using a colour management aware application and an application which is not colour management aware will also be different

i edit pictures based on my notebooks LED backlighting on LCD, and the end products always seems to be overly saturated with red on other notebooks. what kind of simple means do you guys have on adjusting LCD colour without spending money on external calibration devices?

On any unprofiled screen the colours will look different, that's for sure. Also, not all applications used to display pictures are able to handle embedded colour profiles.
Read here: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

So the best is to have a well-profiled starting point. There is software using your eyes as calibration / judging device. Gives you a decent starting point but the difference to a real hardware device is still clearly to see. Also, there are differences between the normal LCD monitors at home and those used in laptops. To have consistent results you better consider hardware-based profiling.

hmm, i think most of the problem lies in a LED vs non-LED backlit LCD screen.

i find that LED backlit screens tends to render colours more vibrantly vs some of the older screens.

Your start state should be to calibrate your own screen.....no two ways about this step.

You cannot control the state of other people's screens.

Full colour management extends from source to screen to output. All have ICC type profiles but are generated differently.

i edit pictures based on my notebooks LED backlighting on LCD, and the end products always seems to be overly saturated with red on other notebooks.

what kind of simple means do you guys have on adjusting LCD colour without spending money on external calibration devices?

it can be a bit frustrating to see skin tones soooo red.

for calibration tuning, if other people's notebooks not calibrated, then that's really not your problem.

you can always do it by eye, by printing out photos at decent labs and compare, at least that's what someone told me, but the easiest and best way is still calibration device.

they are getting cheaper by the day, anw. can always get it second hand to save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.