colour / exposure

vinvinvin

Nov 3, 2009
1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition, Exposure

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Better understanding of exposure, as i noticed some photographer here took pictures with kind of soft feel and tainted colour, so was trying to do that, and also to compare with photoshop touchup just on auto colour, which is better? Or should just remain as original without photoshop?

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
I took this photo of my daughter holding her 450D during my family trip to South Korea (at Incheon) last week without her noticing me shooting this picture. Temperature abt 3 degree and was cold.

Picture 1

my princess camera by alvinchan0033, on Flickr

Last edited:
any comments?

i prefer human portaiture with both eyes visible. would have moved a step to the right and shoot..

as for the exposure is fine but for the mention on post processed color it is subjected to personal taste and wat u are trying to achieve in the shot..

over processing might kill the photo.

Thanks for the comments, i will take note on both eyes visible.
Also about the exposure, i felt that it looks rather light colour, esp on the jacket and face, so i process it on photoshop at the auto colour, does it make picture looks no more natural feels?

my princess camera 1 by alvinchan0033, on Flickr

Also about the exposure, i felt that it looks rather light colour, esp on the jacket and face, so i process it on photoshop at the auto colour, does it make picture looks no more natural feels?

Vinvinvin, since you are asking for comments.. my two-cents worth. Picture is very much a family-album shoot.. nothing wrong since you said it is a stealing moment shot.. (which your daughter didn't know about)..

Have a quick look at your website (in your signature).. guess you do a lot of family-pictures which is what this shot is about.. if you want to present this as an appealing "professional"photograph.. it is still lacking...

Composition wise, I would definitely not crop at just below the waist.. the legs end abruptly.. for your shot.. just crop just before the arm will do.. when eyes are looking at the sides.. people tends to look at the picture and wonder what she is looking.. which leave the viewer a little lost..

As for exposure, it has the early gloomy morning feel, (I assume you are using the auto exposure of your camera).. there is nothing wrong with exposure..

You can see the sunrays around the hair of your daughter.. I think you can definitely try another "better" shot with a darker background to bring out the sunrays on her hair (and closer shot of her)

Hope those information is useful to you in some way.. Happy Shooting...:)

Last edited:
Hi vinvinvin

I don't normally comment in this section but I particularly like this photo so I give it a try(if you allow me, let me know if you're not comfortable if I post the edited version here).

My first impression with this photo is you took with wide angle lens. This make her stretched that makes the bottom part and her arms uncomfortable to view.

Her eyes not perfectly open too. This creates a problem when you wanna lead viewer to the open space with her eyes.

Your exposure is fine. You just need to enhance a bit to bring out the subject more.

IMHO, we can put emphasis on either her camera or her hair since they look pretty good in this photo.

Here is the edited version. I just overexposed a bit since the background isn't important, desaturated everything and crop out the bottom. Hope this helps you a bit

5257670876_542f3d11d6_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
other than the cropping which already mentioned.
The eyes of the subject look neither close nor open and this is not helping to "pull us in". Examples I can think of is she can be either looking "at us" to "draw us in" or looking at something ("something" may not necessary be in the frame) or away (clearly enough) to "pull us to towards" what she is looking.

Thanks to all the comments, will take note ...

SnagIt, after ur edit, isn't the face, hand bcome so white, like not so natural leh, thou the hair and camera do enhance clearly.

I m fairly new to photography.

This copy is slightly better. However, you can try adjust the exposure (lower), highlights (increase), sharpness (increase) and temperature (slightly warmer) and see the effect again. Just my personal opinion.

Thanks to all the comments, will take note ...

SnagIt, after ur edit, isn't the face, hand bcome so white, like not so natural leh, thou the hair and camera do enhance clearly.

I m fairly new to photography.

but to start your dotter's eyes are 2/3 closed already..not very flattering..

Exposure wise i think its ok, composition wise I would personally prefer a tighter crop, leaving the hips and thighs out of the frame. Like some mentioned about the eyes but i think it can't be helped at that moment when you took the shot since you mentioned that it was a candid. Good attempt :)