Colour Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcad84

Aug 12, 2005
Choa Chu Kang
www.sweetcornz.net
Hi Guys,

I jus got my 350D had a few test shot but i feel tat the colour of my photo looks a bit whitedish.

Photo Taken below:
IMG_0193.jpg

How can i make it better?

Maybe something like this:
darker.jpg

To improve the shot in-camera:

1) Try using a polarising filter.
2) Increase the in-camera saturation setting
3) Try using a lens hood
4) Choose a shady location/shoot later in the day when the sun is less intense.

To improve in photoshop:

1) Use levels/curves to improve contrast
2) Use saturation to increase the "punch"

bcad84 said:
oh ya... almost forget about the exposure bracketing... thanks man will go and try it out this weekends.. :)

Exposure bracketing is for losers. Learn the art of zone system which can help you achieve correct exposures confidently.

I used to bracket, bracket and bracket until I met John Sexton. Now, I just shoot with confident.

photobum said:
Exposure bracketing is for losers. Learn the art of zone system which can help you achieve correct exposures confidently.
Can further explain what is art of zone system ???
sorryz i nub ...

Mmmm.... Last time (about 1 year ago) I tried to explain the Zone System on CS and it seems like either nobody understand or nobody is interested. Therefore I just kept everything to myself (a very selfish act, I know).

Anyway, Zone System is almost a long-lost technique in photography, especially after digital photography came. If you are seriously interested, PM me.

photobum said:
Mmmm.... Last time (about 1 year ago) I tried to explain the Zone System on CS and it seems like either nobody understand or nobody is interested. Therefore I just kept everything to myself (a very selfish act, I know).

Anyway, Zone System is almost a long-lost technique in photography, especially after digital photography came. If you are seriously interested, PM me.
Izit? maybe you like to to re-visit your own thread, how come the digital zone system workshop didn't work out?

catchlights said:
Izit? maybe you like to to re-visit your own thread, how come the digital zone system workshop didn't work out?

Oh... you still remember the zone system workshop that I tried to organize about a year ago. Yes, it didn't work out because of personal time restrictions and commitments. I did try to explain its concept to a few individuals but it seems either they do understand (too chiem!) or lost interests. After all, not many people want to spend time previsualizing what they are photographing, thanks to the ease of previewing your shoots with today's digital cameras.

Here is how I will previsualize this image if I am to take this picture. You'll need a spot meter or to change the metering mode to spot.

darker.jpg

Example:

Zone 3 is 1/4 @ f4.5
Zone 5 is 1/15 @ f4.5
Zone 7 is 1/60 @ f4.5

Now compare your image to mine. Notice the increased brillance on the petal?

Cheers!

bcad84 said:
yup can see the red leave become sharper...

No. My image is not "sharper" than yours. They are, in fact, the same. I did not apply any sharpening at all.

All I did was to tweak the curve of your original image so that it appears exactly the way I had previsualized. As a result, the petal "emerges" from the flat-looking background. The colors became more natural and vibrant. The highlights and shadows are balanced.

This entire procedure took me less than two minutes.

If you convert the image to black-and-white, you'll notice the zones more clearly.

darkerBW.jpg

Does it looks like one of Adam's work?

Status
Not open for further replies.