ColorVision PrintFix Pro Suite Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoomOn

Sep 21, 2005
Up North
Hi,
I just got a set of PrintFix Pro Suite yesterday from CathayPhoto. They only received 2 sets from ColorVision and now is out of stock. Lucky me. Someone reserved the set but didn't turn up to collect it. So, they sold them to me. The price for the set is $1270.

ZoomOn said:
Hi,
I just got a set of PrintFix Pro Suite yesterday from CathayPhoto. They only received 2 sets from ColorVision and now is out of stock. Lucky me. Someone reserved the set but didn't turn up to collect it. So, they sold them to me. The price for the set is $1270.

Cool dude, been reading about it. Let us know how well it works!

think I mentioned this product in another thread...looking forward to what you think of it :)

price seems a bit steep...considering you can buy it from Colorvision on the net for US$549...

Being a first time user on Color Management Kit, I have to say that I'm not entirely happy with the result on calibrated monitor. I might be doing it wrong but it could also be my monitor issue. It is a 17" monitor May which I guess I bought it more than 4 years ago. Not able to remember when I bought the monitor probably explains my monitor is old already.
When I calibrate the monitor, I have to manually tune the monitor contrast and brightness so that I can differentiate the 4 different boxes of White and Black. But I have to tune my monitor brightness up to 80% in order to tell visually those 4 black boxes. I think this is not right. After my monitor is loaded with the calibrated profile, the is a layer of white cast on the photos I viewed. This is probably due to high setting on brightness. I will try to calibrate my monitor today but this time using measured whites and blacks instead of using visual differentiation.
For those who are familiar with Spyder2 calibration software, they will understand what I'm talking about on the Whites & Blacks. ;p

ZoomOn said:
Being a first time user on Color Management Kit, I have to say that I'm not entirely happy with the result on calibrated monitor. I might be doing it wrong but it could also be my monitor issue. It is a 17" monitor May which I guess I bought it more than 4 years ago. Not able to remember when I bought the monitor probably explains my monitor is old already.
When I calibrate the monitor, I have to manually tune the monitor contrast and brightness so that I can differentiate the 4 different boxes of White and Black. But I have to tune my monitor brightness up to 80% in order to tell visually those 4 black boxes. I think this is not right. After my monitor is loaded with the calibrated profile, the is a layer of white cast on the photos I viewed. This is probably due to high setting on brightness. I will try to calibrate my monitor today but this time using measured whites and blacks instead of using visual differentiation.
For those who are familiar with Spyder2 calibration software, they will understand what I'm talking about on the Whites & Blacks. ;p

Interesting, my previous experience with the spyder 2 pro wasn't very good as well. Not a straightforward thing to do.

So far X-Rite has given me the best results, even with a 3 year old Apple 17" LCD which I thought can no longer be trusted. The Optix brought it back to life.

Please find out more and share with us here! Have you tried profiling papers? It's a patch by patch thing method right?

I tried to recalibrate my monitor yesterday nite. Looks like my MAG needs to warm up to about 30 mins in order to get the correct color. As for paper profilling, it is unfortunate that the software crash on my WINXP Pro PC. It installed without problem but just crash when launching it. I have just submit a tech support request to Colorvision. Hopefully, they will come back to soon.

If any of you familiar with this error, please share with me.

"Unexpected error NilObjectException has occurred at code location [001:006]. PrintFex PRO will now quit. Please report this error, and relaunch PrintFix PRO"

I install this software on my comp notebook this morning and it seems not crashing on my notebook running WIN2K Pro.

I will post again once I have more update.

Hi guys,
Here is the latest update. Colorvision haven't come back to me but I solved the solfware crash problem. It appears that this software doesn't work if my computer Regional Languague setup --> Input locale is set to any language "Chinese". When I revert back to English, the software is working.
So far I have tried on calibrating on 2 sets of paper with 150 color patches. The result are not fantastic and the output is not spot on. When I have more time again, I will repeat the calibration process just to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes. Following is my first attempt result :
I'm currently using Canon iP4000.

Epson Glossy Photo Paper - calibrated print is not impressive. With color tone shifted more towards yellow. Contrast wise is not good as well.

Konica QP Glossy Photo Paper - result is worst. Black color tone shifted towards red/brown. Contract wise is okay.

I have a question for those who have experience with printer/paper calibrating. I feels that I'm getting a bad result on Konica QP paper is because this paper is a bit thin. Strong light can pass through the paper quite easily. Could it be that when I read the color patches , the colorVision readers LED light is strong enough that it cause the my light brown table (used when calibrating both papers above) color to be bounce through the Konica paper and picked up by the meter?

ZoomOn said:
Hi guys,
Here is the latest update. Colorvision haven't come back to me but I solved the solfware crash problem. It appears that this software doesn't work if my computer Regional Languague setup --> Input locale is set to any language "Chinese". When I revert back to English, the software is working.
So far I have tried on calibrating on 2 sets of paper with 150 color patches. The result are not fantastic and the output is not spot on. When I have more time again, I will repeat the calibration process just to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes. Following is my first attempt result :
I'm currently using Canon iP4000.

Epson Glossy Photo Paper - calibrated print is not impressive. With color tone shifted more towards yellow. Contrast wise is not good as well.

Konica QP Glossy Photo Paper - result is worst. Black color tone shifted towards red/brown. Contract wise is okay.

I have a question for those who have experience with printer/paper calibrating. I feels that I'm getting a bad result on Konica QP paper is because this paper is a bit thin. Strong light can pass through the paper quite easily. Could it be that when I read the color patches , the colorVision readers LED light is strong enough that it cause the my light brown table (used when calibrating both papers above) color to be bounce through the Konica paper and picked up by the meter?

Are you scanning patch by patch? might be a patch error. yes the surface you "scan" on plays a critical role. If you use a OPAQUE NON-Neflective white surface vs a OPAQUE NON-Reflective black surface, the readings are different.

Always use the same backing for consistent results. For best results, use the maximum patches available for all spectrophotometers, 729 in your case, a massive headache and lots of patience for a patch by patch reading. Strip reading with a proper guide ruler and backerboard takes about 3 mins for a 729 patch chart)

Since the hardware is a Spec-tro-Co-lo-ri-me-ter, a new generation device using RGB LEDs and color wheels instead of a standard prism/defracting Spec-tro-Pho-to-me-ter, we can't really compare the results.

Also make sure the rendering intent is either Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual, not the default Saturation intent.

Try it again and see if my recommendations help.

Cheers,
nic

Hi Gamut Labs,
Yes. I'm scanning patch by patch. Based on your experience, which sufface do you think best use for put the color patch print on for color patch reading? BTW, where to get them and what is the price?

ZoomOn said:
Hi Gamut Labs,
Yes. I'm scanning patch by patch. Based on your experience, which sufface do you think best use for put the color patch print on for color patch reading? BTW, where to get them and what is the price?

Hi ZoomOn,

Actually you can use any opaque non-reflective acrylic sheet from any hardware store. they usually come polished, you can use a matt lamination sheet to cover it up. An A3 size sheet should suffice.

Does CP support after sales service? They are after all the main reseller in SG.

They should have attended post-sales training support for this product.

Cheers,
nic

Gamut Labs said:
Hi ZoomOn,

Actually you can use any opaque non-reflective acrylic sheet from any hardware store. they usually come polished, you can use a matt lamination sheet to cover it up. An A3 size sheet should suffice.

Does CP support after sales service? They are after all the main reseller in SG.

They should have attended post-sales training support for this product.

Cheers,
nic

Gamut Labs,
I walked into a couple of hardware shops but unable to find the acrylic sheet you mentioned, I'm about to give up hope already. Can you advise me a shop where I can get this sheet?

ZoomOn said:
Gamut Labs,
I walked into a couple of hardware shops but unable to find the acrylic sheet you mentioned, I'm about to give up hope already. Can you advise me a shop where I can get this sheet?

FYI, Artfriends do sell white acrylic sheet in A4 and A3 sizes.

megakale said:
FYI, Artfriends do sell white acrylic sheet in A4 and A3 sizes.

Ok another thing you can do is go to Bras Basah, art friend or any shop, get 1 piece each of A3 Black and White mounting boards. Should be about $3 per piece. Acrylic lasts longer but mounting boards can save you time from need to laminate.

The reason I switched from colorvision to monaco is cos colorvision keeps giving me inaccurate calibrations. I made a quick check online and see lots ofpraises for spyder and i thouhgt tat I am the only one experiencing that problem. At least now i know that I am not the only one who is dissatisified with colovision.:think:

Gamut Labs said:
Ok another thing you can do is go to Bras Basah, art friend or any shop, get 1 piece each of A3 Black and White mounting boards. Should be about $3 per piece. Acrylic lasts longer but mounting boards can save you time from need to laminate.

Hi,
I went to Art Friend yesterday and got myself an opague non-reflective acrylic sheet. It is a matt transparent sheet. Wonder if this is the correct sheet to be used to house the color patches print? I will be doing the color patch scan soon and will advise the result soon.

ZoomOn said:
Hi,
I went to Art Friend yesterday and got myself an opague non-reflective acrylic sheet. It is a matt transparent sheet. Wonder if this is the correct sheet to be used to house the color patches print? I will be doing the color patch scan soon and will advise the result soon.

Eh ZoomOn my Friend,

Opaque = NOT transparent. but nevermind, just place a white A3 sheet of paper below the acrylic and consistently use the same method for all profiles.

The you have to do 729 patches to be sure of the profile quality and remember to use relative colorimetric for the rendering intent.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
nic

Hi,
Sorry that it took so long for me to provide my first personal evaluation on PrintFix Pro. However, it better to be late then none at all. For far I have only able to try 225 color patches then the suggested 729 patches. Overall, I do see some improvement on prints on 3 set of papers I tested on.

Epson photo paper - This are an old papers I picked up accidentally when I move office. Overall improvement in contrast and smoother color tone shift. Color are more natural as compared to default prints from my Canon IP4000, which means some reduction on color saturation.

Konica photo glossy (175gsm) - Improvement on color tone, contrast and looks more natural as well. Better then Epson photo papers.

Konica professional photo glossy (>300gsm) - Gave me some impressive prints. Good color tone shift, good contrast, a little more colors saturation then other 2 papers.

In future, when my original inks runs out. I will try 3rd party inks (from Inkstation) and perform another round of calibration. BTW, anybody has any comments on inks from Inkstation?

Gamut Labs said:
Eh ZoomOn my Friend,

Opaque = NOT transparent. but nevermind, just place a white A3 sheet of paper below the acrylic and consistently use the same method for all profiles.

The you have to do 729 patches to be sure of the profile quality and remember to use relative colorimetric for the rendering intent.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
nic
There is a name for that. It's called translucent.

ZoomOn said:
Hi,
Sorry that it took so long for me to provide my first personal evaluation on PrintFix Pro. However, it better to be late then none at all. For far I have only able to try 225 color patches then the suggested 729 patches. Overall, I do see some improvement on prints on 3 set of papers I tested on.

Epson photo paper - This are an old papers I picked up accidentally when I move office. Overall improvement in contrast and smoother color tone shift. Color are more natural as compared to default prints from my Canon IP4000, which means some reduction on color saturation.

Konica photo glossy (175gsm) - Improvement on color tone, contrast and looks more natural as well. Better then Epson photo papers.

Konica professional photo glossy (>300gsm) - Gave me some impressive prints. Good color tone shift, good contrast, a little more colors saturation then other 2 papers.

In future, when my original inks runs out. I will try 3rd party inks (from Inkstation) and perform another round of calibration. BTW, anybody has any comments on inks from Inkstation?
Wah.. quite a task to do all 729 patches... Have you used PrintFix (not the Pro)? If so, how do they compare? PrintFix vs PrintFix Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.