Colorvision Colorplus/Spyder/Spyder Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi all,

thinking of getting a monitor calibrating device. anyone knows what the difference is between the colorplus, spyder and spyder pro? what are the pros and cons of each? what do u get for the extra $$$ u spend on a pro?

for that matter, how does the above 3 compare with a phase one eye one display/etc system?

for now, i only need to calibrate my monitor, not printing on a home printer (but send to lab to print) so anything related to printer calibration would not be relevant.

finally, i noticed a number of pple selling off their calibration stuffs after using once or twice - does it mean that once u calibrate u no longer need to? or perhaps it means that they dont work the way its supposed to?

appreciate any input. thanks!

monitor will degrade over time...so once u buy those spyder thingy. might as well keep it. no harm. =)

If u buy the spyder and don't use it too often....will grow cobwebs leh.....or spyder webs. :blah:

Ok, I'll just put it simply. Features wise, as you go up the list you gave in order till Eye-One are features difference. Think of it as 18-70 Nikkor, 18-35 Nikkor, then 17-35 Nikkor, each one is different in features and gets better as you go up the list. Consumer digital WA, consumer WA, and professional WA.

If you're only doing your monitor (not to say I'm pushing my own sales) the ColorVision Colorplus will do just fine. Best of all, it can calibrate CRTs & LCDs too. For more precise & indepth calibration & color gamma settings, you can consider the rest of the options you've listed. Just be warned, Eye One is retailing at $650 in SG. I'm trying to see if any body living in US can help to ship it over at a cheaper cost.

Once you calibrate it, it's as accurate for 1 month+, calibration is an on-going process. Once you adjust the brightness on your screen, you'll need to calibrate again. Some maybe find that theirs is already close to the calibration and thus sell off. Mine was way off before I calibrated. :bsmilie:

Is there a possiblity that the LCD or CRT not being able to be calibrated to the desired setting of the Spyder. Meaning no matter how u adjust your LCD or CRT, u can never get close to that of the Spyder. :dunno:

Actually, the spyder does the calibration & color settings for you. You don't need to do any calibration on your part, the calibration is saved into an icc profile that's loaded by colorplus when you start your PC.

espn said:
Actually, the spyder does the calibration & color settings for you. You don't need to do any calibration on your part, the calibration is saved into an icc profile that's loaded by colorplus when you start your PC.
That's cool........then sell it to me now lah. :bsmilie:

This appears to differ from the eye one that I managed to test on my LCD some time back. Apparently after putting the hardware calibrator on the screen, the program shows three sliders, R, G and B. it then asks you to adjust your RGB of your monitor until three sliders are in the centre. the funny thing was no matter how i adjusted the monitor, i can never get it in the centre, click once on the button the sliders go way off in one direction or another....also after calibrating, the display kinda looks weird....thats my first bad experience with eyeone.

I do know that the higher up you go, the better it gets, i guess my original qn was what extra stuff do u get. e.g. ur colorplus, what doesn't it have compared to the spyder (or even pro for that matter). also, what didn't it have that made you want to switch to eye-one?

still contemplating choices before plonking down the $$$. tks!

espn said:

For those who is interested, the Colorvision Colorplus stock have arrive at Cathay Photo. Just received a called from them. Still can't made up my mind to buy it or not. :dunno: Any advice?

I bought Spyder Pro at $500plus from Cathay Photo.
Hmm....well, I shd say you still have to do something, even with the tool for this Spyder Pro coz you will have to adjust the settings, following the instructions.
And each time you adjusted your monitor brightness/settings, you have to calibrate it again. Erm, I think shd be able to save the calibrated setting somewhere, but still trying to figure it out..... ;)

Oh btw, I lent it to a friend who can't seem to get it working on his monitors. There is this instruction asking you to set the brightness to its min and contrast to its max then slowly adjust till you see the logo....however, he tried and couldn't even see the logo. Does it mean that his monitor is no longer working or one of his RGBs is not working? He tried on 4 monitors and all couldn't work. Still trying to figure it out.....

And I try to calibrate the monitor every 2 or 3 mths.

Can it do a co-ordinated calibration of the printer as well? I'm having great difficulty getting my printer to print what I see on the screen...

agnesmullen said:
I bought Spyder Pro at $500plus from Cathay Photo.
Hmm....well, I shd say you still have to do something, even with the tool for this Spyder Pro coz you will have to adjust the settings, following the instructions.
And each time you adjusted your monitor brightness/settings, you have to calibrate it again. Erm, I think shd be able to save the calibrated setting somewhere, but still trying to figure it out..... ;)

Oh btw, I lent it to a friend who can't seem to get it working on his monitors. There is this instruction asking you to set the brightness to its min and contrast to its max then slowly adjust till you see the logo....however, he tried and couldn't even see the logo. Does it mean that his monitor is no longer working or one of his RGBs is not working? He tried on 4 monitors and all couldn't work. Still trying to figure it out.....

Oops, sorry, I think its ard $300plus?

darkness said:
Can it do a co-ordinated calibration of the printer as well? I'm having great difficulty getting my printer to print what I see on the screen...

Oh yeah, I think there's such a tool in the market, to be able to print exactly what you see on screen but I am not sure what.
Perhaps the rest can help? ;)

agnesmullen said:
Oops, sorry, I think its ard $300plus?

the Spyder Pro is $525 according to the Cathay Photo ad. Do you actually have the Spyder Pro or the normal Spyder which is $350?

erwinx is right, the normal spyder is $350, the pro version is $500+.

erwinx said:
the Spyder Pro is $525 according to the Cathay Photo ad. Do you actually have the Spyder Pro or the normal Spyder which is $350?

Oh dear....its the $525.....gosh, memory failing.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.