Color Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think TS intersted to know color theory as in complimentary colors, analogous colors, mono... (uhh duno what u call it liao), achromatic colors... how they enhance a pic...

like complimentary colous are colors tt are opposite of each other in the wheel.. red sudject with green background for example are supposed to complement each other and make the subject standout...

Analogous colors are colors tt are along side each other in the wheel like red orange and yellow....

hmm let me try to search for a past article on this.... :think:

Thanks Autumnite. This is precisely what I am looking for. But I am also interested in the current discussion about printing (although it is not in my mind initially). Here's another site which I find useful http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wcolor.html; but beware though, the materials here can easily exceed a few hundred pages if printed.

Then that's probably colour aesthetics. Maybe can try art bookshops then. ;p

Isisaxon, thanks. Would try to have a look when I get the chance to visit some bookstores. Bryan Peterson in his book "Learning to See Creatively" suggests that one should learn to create a color composed image first and foremost.

"I've said it often, and as long as I've got students to teach, I'll probably continue saying it: 'First and foremost, make it an obvious picture of color!' Rather than looking for rocks, leaves, trees, waterfalls, birds, flowers, fire hydrants, starfish, boats, orchards, or bridges, focus your energy and vision on red, blue, yellow, orange, green, or violet. Color first, content second!" - Bryan Peterson in Learning to See Creatively.

While I am sure he's not trying to downplay the importance of content, I do concur with him on the significance of what an impact a "picture of color" can make. :)

Isisaxon, thanks. Would try to have a look when I get the chance to visit some bookstores. Bryan Peterson in his book "Learning to See Creatively" suggests that one should learn to create a color composed image first and foremost.

"I've said it often, and as long as I've got students to teach, I'll probably continue saying it: 'First and foremost, make it an obvious picture of color!' Rather than looking for rocks, leaves, trees, waterfalls, birds, flowers, fire hydrants, starfish, boats, orchards, or bridges, focus your energy and vision on red, blue, yellow, orange, green, or violet. Color first, content second!" - Bryan Peterson in Learning to See Creatively.

While I am sure he's not trying to downplay the importance of content, I do concur with him on the significance of what an impact a "picture of color" can make. :)

Yes, colour can create an impact, especially strong (saturated) colours. But they must harmonize with the composition. In another thread, I mentioned that composition is more important followed by tones and then colours. If you use tones and colours as part of your composition, then you won't go wrong, even if the colours are slightly wrong. But if composition is not taken care of, the colours will only distract. So it's a double edged sword.

The reason I'm making this remark is that there are very good B&W material also, so colour is not everything. :)

Autumnite, do you have more references, especially those in which the works of the masters are analyzed in terms of color theory? I want to do a systematic study on colors so that I can better perceive colors (analytically) when I see them and hence become more proficient in making color photographs with impact.

Yes, colour can create an impact, especially strong (saturated) colours. But they must harmonize with the composition. In another thread, I mentioned that composition is more important followed by tones and then colours. If you use tones and colours as part of your composition, then you won't go wrong, even if the colours are slightly wrong. But if composition is not taken care of, the colours will only distract. So it's a double edged sword.

This might be a slight diversion from the main topic of the thread, but do you have any good materials on composition and also B&W photography?

This might be a slight diversion from the main topic of the thread, but do you have any good materials on composition and also B&W photography?

Maybe you can take some time and visit the photography book section of Books Kinokuniya at Ngee Ann City. They have quite a collection of good photography books. :)

If you looking for a book on Color Science & theories, i would strongly recommend this book : Billmeyer and Saltzman's Principles of Color Technology, written by Roy S. Berns
http://www.amazon.com/Billmeyer-Sal...59X/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0/104-1533558-5635144
It should be available at major bookstores here.

It covers topics such as color systems, color accuracy, spectrometers and more advanced topics such as goniophotometric properties, tristimulus matrix, observer metamerism. These are topics that affect how a user observes a printed image/photograph.

If you looking for a book on Color Science & theories, i would strongly recommend this book : Billmeyer and Saltzman's Principles of Color Technology, written by Roy S. Berns
http://www.amazon.com/Billmeyer-Sal...59X/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0/104-1533558-5635144
It should be available at major bookstores here.

It covers topics such as color systems, color accuracy, spectrometers and more advanced topics such as goniophotometric properties, tristimulus matrix, observer metamerism. These are topics that affect how a user observes a printed image/photograph.

Thanks Montmelo, should be an interesting book. :)

Yes. It is indeed a good book.
Also attended his training. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.