Color Spaces??

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsim

Jun 5, 2003
East
www.flickr.com
350d is equipped with 2 color spaces... sRGB and Adobe RGB..

Which one is better? I was told to shoot in Adobe RGB as it offers more vivid colors and more tonal ranges... however, the user guide said to stay with sRGB for most users as pics taken in Adobe RGB will appear subtle in non ADobe RGB enabled computers... However, since the supplied CDs contains softwares that are able to work with Adobe RGB, i suppose he pics will turn out better than sRGB.

Guess my query is, if i were to take in adobe RGB and transfer the pics to my laptop and subsequently burned in on CDs. Will they appear more colorful on other people's PCs.

From my own experiences (which is not a whole lot)... using Adobe RGB will allow you to capture more colour detail. BUT most labs print using sRGB.

I use Adobe RGB and save to Jpeg. Once it's in Jpeg, it will look the same on different screens with the same calibrated settings.

davidsim said:
Which one is better? I was told to shoot in Adobe RGB as it offers more vivid colors and more tonal ranges... however, the user guide said to stay with sRGB for most users as pics taken in Adobe RGB will appear subtle in non ADobe RGB enabled computers.

Depends on what you going to output as. If the printer (or shop) can take advantage of wide color range, Adobe RGB (1998) that would be the ideal, it will yield more color details. sRGB have better file exchange and easy to be opened by computer not equiped to decode Adobe RGB.

davidsim said:
However, since the supplied CDs contains softwares that are able to work with Adobe RGB, i suppose the pics will turn out better than sRGB.
Yes. Adobe RGB is the way to go for more color details.... IIRC.. the canon RAW data yields even higher color range than adobe RGB.

davidsim said:
Guess my query is, if i were to take in adobe RGB and transfer the pics to my laptop and subsequently burned in on CDs. Will they appear more colorful on other people's PCs.
Can be better or worse.
Depends on the quality of the "other people's pc" monitor and the s/w drivers. Also did you embed the adobe RGB (1998) profile into the jpeg file.

Status
Not open for further replies.