Color Space for lab processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimtong

May 8, 2002
Singapore
jimmyto.ng
Hi, I was wondering what type of color space (sRGB or AdobeRGB) does those photo lab accept or using to process digital image?

jimtong said:
Hi, I was wondering what type of color space (sRGB or AdobeRGB) does those photo lab accept or using to process digital image?

i normally convert to sRGB before sending lab print, but what the lab does on their end, i dunno :dunno:

For the run of the mill shops, I will recommend sRGB. Unless the shop knows how to handle AdobeRGB, don't give it to them!

from what I understand,

lab machines do not read profiles, they use the actual "numbers" of the colors to print. Profiles are like translation tables to explain the numbers.

hence if you have a calibrated monitor, that last step you do is to convert to the printing profile, which will change the actual numbers of the file to compensate for the printing. Hence when you changed it to the printing profile, the colors may change abit wacky.

look at

www.drycreek.com for more info

cheers

printing profile :dunno: care to elaborate further how to convert to this profile? Thanks.. I think the URL you have posted is under construction.

jimtong said:
printing profile :dunno: care to elaborate further how to convert to this profile? Thanks.. I think the URL you have posted is under construction.
I believe the correct url should be http://www.drycreekphoto.com/

To convert to another profile, do Image->Mode->Convert to Profile then choose the desired profile.

Regards
CK

Please read the above site and DPReview's Pro forum carefully.

The profile thing, sigh :rolleyes: . It does matter. Only if your image is in Lab mode (aka L*a*b) does it not matter. Do not convert to the destination profile; that is totally wrong! :nono: . Doesn't anyone understand what different color space are and how to use them? :mad2: ;(

What you need to do is have the profile and under View->Proof Setup, see the image with the destination profile with gamut warning on if you want. This will 1)tell you what it will look like if you print it out, provided the profile is accurate 2) warn you what parts are not printable and give you a chance to make the changes yourself.

Please read the books I had recommended on colorspace before; use the search function.

ckiang said:
I believe the correct url should be http://www.drycreekphoto.com/

To convert to another profile, do Image->Mode->Convert to Profile then choose the desired profile.

Regards
CK
Please don't go around and convert left, right and centre. There are rounding errors and doing it too much can spoil a picture.

Watcher said:
Please don't go around and convert left, right and centre. There are rounding errors and doing it too much can spoil a picture.
I am too lazy to do that, so all my images destined for the lab are converted once to sRGB.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
I am too lazy to do that, so all my images destined for the lab are converted once to sRGB.

Regards
CK

better still, work in sRGB all the way, no conversion needed. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.