color profile problem

alantkh

Deregistered
Jun 16, 2009
guys I have a problem...

when I CONVERT my pic in sRGB, Chrome and IE9 sees different color compared to photoshop.

When I CONVERT my pic in aRGB, Chrome sees the same color as photoshop but IE9 still sees wrong color.

I am really confused. I thought IE9 is ICC aware while chrome is not. By saving in sRGB I thought I should see the same color in photoshop and browser.

I noticed if I ASSIGNED sRGB profile to my pic, IE9 colors becomes correct but the photoshop color become muted.

I can't seem to get IE9 to match my photoshop color...

I recently reinstalled photoshop because I bought a new computer.

There must be some setting I am missing. Any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
i also read that IE9 is ICC aware, but for me, only Mozilla Firefox giving me same color as seen in Photoshop, the colors in IE9 and Chrome are different. :think::think:

i also read that IE9 is ICC aware, but for me, only Mozilla Firefox giving me same color as seen in Photoshop, the colors in IE9 and Chrome are different. :think::think:

you are right! Firefox looks the same as viewNX and photoshop.

But I thought if I saved in sRGB, all browsers should look the same? I did not noticed such a problem previously.

Does you sRGB pics looks different in photoshop and IE9?

I need to match photoshop and IE9 since that is what most people will be using...

Last edited:
you are right! Firefox looks the same as viewNX and photoshop.

But I thought if I saved in sRGB, all browsers should look the same? I did not noticed such a problem previously.

Does you sRGB pics looks different in photoshop and IE9?

I need to match photoshop and IE9 since that is what most people will be using...

Check against this with IE9 Color Management

In any case, it's not all browsers, it's all browsers that support ICC profile standard.

Sanity check, I hope you did embed the ICC profile into the JPEG file ?
Also you "convert" instead of "assign" to sRGB ?

How about your monitor ICC profile, are you using your calibrated profile or sRGB ?

Last edited:
Check against this with IE9 Color Management

In any case, it's only all browsers, it's all browsers that support ICC profile standard.

Sanity check, I hope you did embed the ICC profile into the JPEG file ?

How about your monitor ICC profile, are you using your calibrated profile or sRGB ?

The IE9 color management test results is really weird. Chrome fails totally. Firefox supports version 2. IE9 supports version 2 and 4. But the IE9 colors are totally wrong, I can never get them to match my photoshop.

I did embed the ICC profile into the jpeg file. ViewNX2, Photoshop, Firefox all shows the same color. Does that mean photoshop only supports ICC version 2? Why isn't IE9 backwards compatible?

My color management settings for windows

WCS Device profiles
sRGB virtual device model profile wsRGB.cdmp

ICC profiles
Dell 2407WFP-HC (default) 2407WFPHC.icm

The icc profile I think is downloaded by windows update.

Under the advanced tab,

there is a setting

viewing conditions profile. What should I set this to?

Last edited:
The IE9 color management test results is really weird. Chrome fails totally. Firefox supports version 2. IE9 supports version 2 and 4. But the IE9 colors are totally wrong, I can never get them to match my photoshop.

I did embed the ICC profile into the jpeg file. ViewNX2, Photoshop, Firefox all shows the same color. Does that mean photoshop only supports ICC version 2? Why isn't IE9 backwards compatible?

My color management settings for windows

WCS Device profiles
sRGB virtual device model profile wsRGB.cdmp

ICC profiles
Dell 2407WFP-HC (default) 2407WFPHC.icm

The icc profile I think is downloaded by windows update.

Under the advanced tab,

there is a setting

viewing conditions profile. What should I set this to?

Seriously I'm on an uncalibrated Mac. So I can't see what you went thru. But while I display a same sRGB across into my VM running Win7 on IE9, I seriously don't see much difference. Despite my display is not calibrated, having the same hardware on different platform, I will be able to see differences between IE9 and Mac's PS if the browser did not respect the ICC profile at all.

Since I can't really see what you are observing, it might be kinda hard for me to help effectively.
Perhaps here might help to shed some light into what you are facing ?
WEB BROWSER COLOR MANAGEMENT Tutorial - Test Page FireFox Safari Chrome Internet Explorer IE 9- FILES have embedded ICC profiles Photoshop ColorManagement

Continue...

I did a test on a AdobeRGB Sample and this is the result I get

I have 4 files namely

1) Flower-AdobeRGB.jpg (ICC tagged as AdobeRGB)
2) Flower-AdobeRGB-noicc.jpg (Not tagged in AdobeRGB space)
3) Flower-sRGB.jpg (ICC tagged as sRGB)
4) Flower-sRGB-noicc.jpg (Not tagged in sRGB space)

In Windows 7

In Chrome which is an unmanaged browser, (2) shows to be less vibrant which is expected, (4) shows to be vibrant expected since it is in sRGB space, which is well managed by the hardware.

In IE9, (2) shows to be less vibrant and the same visually compared when displayed on Chrome, also expected since the ICC profile is missing and the OS is based on sRGB profile.

For (1), (3), (4) where all are either well tagged or within sRGB colourspace, both browsers managed or unmanaged shows identical output and vibrant. So it proves that as long as your image are within sRGB colourspace, it should be pretty safe.

In Mac Lion,

Since Mac SL, the gamma is already under 2.2 and hence it's not any different from Windows platform and moreover I'm testing on a Mac hardware too. Both the PS, Preview shows identical colours and same as (1), (3) and (4) in the Windows platform.

I'm curious how it went wrong for you ? Seems like a ICC profile misplaced at somewhere. In fact, I would like to find out, when you say you viewed your image using the browser, did you post it somewhere ? I know for example in Facebook, they strip away your ICC profile embedded in the file, can you confirm your ICC profile is still intact when displayed on the browser ?

I see that you are using a pretty good LCD with a rather wide gamut versus most LCD screen. I'm also on MBP 17" where it is mentioned online it's gamut is pretty high. So I'm suspecting your working space is not sRGB ? Could your working space have larger than sRGB gamut and some colours falls out of sRGB and hence when the ICC profile is stripped off from the image after you upload the image, it becomes similar to display AdobeRGB colour space image in unmanaged browser where the image becomes slightly less vibrant ?

actually the pic is here

http://www.keehian.com/images/europe/europe38.jpg

This is a sRBG pic. Chrome, IE9 shows that a reddish tinge on the faces. Firefox shows what my photoshop sees.

Can you tell me what you see?

I never had this problem with sRGB pics....

Thanks. Viewing the link, Chrome is unmanaged.

Both IE9 and Firefox looks like ICC aware and all the three rollover pics looks identical in each browser. BUT the IE9 shows "redder" tinge than Firefox. After saving the pic, photoshop shows identical pic as Firefox.

IE9 untagged sRGB looks similar to the ICC files which means IE9 is "correct".... that means somehow both firefox and photoshop is "wrong"....

Thanks for the link. I think my monitor profile is buggy. I used spyder 2.3.5 on my PC. If I switched my monitor profile to WCS sRGB, everything looks more "ok".

Since I can't really see what you are observing, it might be kinda hard for me to help effectively.
Perhaps here might help to shed some light into what you are facing ?
WEB BROWSER COLOR MANAGEMENT Tutorial - Test Page FireFox Safari Chrome Internet Explorer IE 9- FILES have embedded ICC profiles Photoshop ColorManagement

Last edited:
Hmm.. aiming for web accuracy is quite pointless. The intended web audience may not have their monitor properly calibrate.
Heck.. they may not even have a proper monitor. :confused:

that is why the print is the ultimate proof of a correct workflow.

actually the pic is here

http://www.keehian.com/images/europe/europe38.jpg

This is a sRBG pic. Chrome, IE9 shows that a reddish tinge on the faces. Firefox shows what my photoshop sees.

Can you tell me what you see?

I never had this problem with sRGB pics....

Generally they are almost visually the same, on the IE9 on Windows 7, it shows a very minute of yellowish versus on Safari on Mac. So as you have found out, it's your display profile right. So the case rest I suppose.

Been reading around the net on the color management of different browsers, interestingly, found some source saying that IE9 is not really color managed, yes it will read the embedded ICC profiles (up to ICC v4 which is still rare) in your images, and then convert it to sRGB and output to your monitor, ignoring whatever monitor profile you have.

Re: Here is one for you.....: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

:dunno::dunno: