Color Managed Browser Firefox 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
Firefox 3, a colour managed browser is up for download... I have tested the program and can say that it works just fine with Adobe RGB and sRGB and Prophoto RGB... no colour shifts whatsoever between the browser and Photoshop... testing it from Win XP... get it now at

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

It's interesting that it's not enabled by default but it was simple to do, if you know your way around the configuration. On Mac OS X, it apparently picks up the colour profile automatically, as well as turning the title bar a different colour.

i am using mac. just downlaoded firefox 3. how do i tell which color profile firefox 3 is using?

cause the pics colors still look different on my firefox and safari.

This is how you enable the colour management in Firefox:

1. Type about:config in Firefox 3's address bar and press Enter.

2. A warning dialog box appears - click "I will be careful, I promise!"

You will see a long list of configuration.

3. In the Filter field, type gfx.
you're left with 3 config:

gfx.color_management.display_profile default string
gfx.color_management.enabled default boolean false
gfx.use_text_smoothing_setting default boolean false

4. Double click on the second line -

gfx.color_management.enabled default boolean false

and the value will change to true -

gfx.color_management.enabled default boolean true

5.Quit and relaunch Firefox 3. And your firefox is now colour managed.

does this mean it will automatically be able to see prophoto and adobe rgb pictures properly?

yes, with a calibrated monitor and image tagged with the colour profile.

The reason why it is not enabled by default is that as of the current version the browser may suffer a slight performance penalty if you enable color management. Heard that the creators are working on it and it will come enabled by default once they fix up the performance issues.

that's right. firefox doesn't produce the colour properly even after enabling the colour management. its best to use colour managed browsers like safari.

that's right. firefox doesn't produce the colour properly even after enabling the colour management. its best to use colour managed browsers like safari.
really?... in what way does FF not produce colour properly?... from my tests and day to day usage, no real prob... :)

as for Safari, its stability and security for Windows machine very suspect still... best not to use it on Windows...

at least there is the option now :) and it might push Microsoft to add it in IE8 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.