Color [HELP]

drpessimist

Jan 6, 2014
Singapore
Hi all,

i went through some of the photos you guys posted in other sections of the forum, and i cant help but notice the strong contrast of colors in your photos. Especially when it comes to scenery and city photos. How do you bring out the color within the image? is it a setting on a camera or use of photoshop?

Secondly i saw some photos of lakes and bays,where the water is still and flat, is that just taken with a low ISO and a longer shutter speed?

Thanks.

Currently using a Canon 70D, 50mm f1.4 and 18-135mm stm.

first you need to understand lighting, without lighting, we see nothing.

lighting give highlight and shadow to an object, bring up the shape, the texture, the colors.

and next we need to understand the quality and quantity of lighting.

quality and quantity are not same, and we need both to create an appealing photo.

this is very fundamental, without understand this, is like learning to walk before learning how to stand on two feet (quality and quantity of lighting)

how to do jumping and running (photoshop and camera technical) without knowing how to stand on both feet?

put on nice sporty outfit (good camera/lens set up), does not make you a sport person (good photographer)

always go back to the basic.

Last edited:
Hi all,

i went through some of the photos you guys posted in other sections of the forum, and i cant help but notice the strong contrast of colors in your photos. Especially when it comes to scenery and city photos. How do you bring out the color within the image? is it a setting on a camera or use of photoshop?

Secondly i saw some photos of lakes and bays,where the water is still and flat, is that just taken with a low ISO and a longer shutter speed?

Thanks.

Currently using a Canon 70D, 50mm f1.4 and 18-135mm stm.

Ans to ur first question: yes most probably there was some processing done to the picture if the contrast looks really too funky.. or it could also be due to some art filters , or color profiles inbuilt into the cameras (like vivid, for nikon, which makes it slightly more contrasty). Theres probably such a setting on your 70D which u could try out, not sure what people set, but usually i set to neutral in my cameras and adjust later in editing software.. be it lightroom,aperture,photoshop kinda thing..

2nd question ans: do u mean the water looks silky white? if you mean that, they probably used an ND filter (probably ~10stops during daytime), to restrict the light from entering the lens, so as to enable longer shutter speeds. with long shutter speeds during daytime, u will be able to capture such an effect.
May u want to link a picture , to describe this.

Ans to ur first question: yes most probably there was some processing done to the picture if the contrast looks really too funky.. or it could also be due to some art filters , or color profiles inbuilt into the cameras (like vivid, for nikon, which makes it slightly more contrasty). Theres probably such a setting on your 70D which u could try out, not sure what people set, but usually i set to neutral in my cameras and adjust later in editing software.. be it lightroom,aperture,photoshop kinda thing..

2nd question ans: do u mean the water looks silky white? if you mean that, they probably used an ND filter (probably ~10stops during daytime), to restrict the light from entering the lens, so as to enable longer shutter speeds. with long shutter speeds during daytime, u will be able to capture such an effect.
May u want to link a picture , to describe this.

the water in the picture like these ones.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64355399@N04/6937912668/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64355399@N04/8498251772/

how much would an ND filter cost?

DD123 has written a very comprehensive guide on filters. You should take a look before deciding.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029

And you should be working on your composition first. These things can come later. Silky smooth water with bad composition is still a bad photo

Yea it is taken using nd filter to restrict light. So maybe get a 10stop for daytime.. I used to have a 77mm 10stop bw, hmm I think that cost approx 80$? Cant rmbr exacts... could b more exp.. alot of times pple buy 77mm so as to use it with many lenses( all u need is a step down ring). Some people also have the kind of square filter set from lee filters or other companies. Slightly more costly but has alot of varieties of filters to try out