Color correction using Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hello,

I read about book that how to do color correction in Photoshop. The way i learned is open up the curve and chose highlight, shadow and midtone of the image by the three eyedrop tool.. I hope u get what i am trying to say.

However, that comes to my mind..when a color correction is needed? Please refer to the picture i attached, do u think that picture is needed to be color corrected?

I am thinking the color correction, is like telling Photoshop which pixel should be white, dark, and midtone.. mm..what if i there isn't any item supposing to be white in picture?

Well that comes to my mind that i once heard that there is not absolutely correct exposure.. mm.. or i am doing color correction in the wrong way?

09_Stupa.jpg

before color correction

09_Stupa_copy.jpg

after color correction

mm..what will u comment on this photo after color correction?

Thank u!

doesn't see much difference?

ya i agree..the original gold color is brighter and look nicer.. well, i just try to understand that method of color correction, does it mean the the first one is overesposed that make the color brighter? and the second one after color correction, is well exposed but lost some color contrast?

Well, when do u think a photo needs to be color corrected?

At the lab I work at we have several new employees. They get so used to having to correct everything, that when a perfict image comes along, they still correct it. I think thats what your doing here. When new to correcting your own stuff many people want everything neutral, black white or grey. Looks like your wanting to get rid of all that color, but its a good color, not a distracting color cast.

When you color correct try and picture what the end result will be, what is distracting and how your going to fix it. If thats not the result you get, then dont color correct, your probly overcompensating.

hope that helps

-James

Hi jj1987/James,

Oic..thank for your opinion. Actually that's what in my mind, but without people advising me about it, i am not sure am i right.. so i am looking for an answer here. Thank you.

jj1987 said:
At the lab I work at we have several new employees. They get so used to having to correct everything, that when a perfict image comes along, they still correct it. I think thats what your doing here. When new to correcting your own stuff many people want everything neutral, black white or grey. Looks like your wanting to get rid of all that color, but its a good color, not a distracting color cast.

When you color correct try and picture what the end result will be, what is distracting and how your going to fix it. If thats not the result you get, then dont color correct, your probly overcompensating.

hope that helps

-James

Perhaps what you should instead try to do is to extract out the image and put in another sky that is not so white? But then, it's personal preference..

Hi LENS

I'm also learning about colour correction, just thought could exchange view :) Here are my observations:

1) The sky seems overexposed - we can try to increase tonal range here.
2) Colour of temple looks goods in terms of tonal range - would suggest increasing contrast especially in highlights & shadows
3) Trees doesn't seem to be green enough - but i may be wrong since i didn't see them myself.

Think you may have more luck with CMYK and LAB workspace. So first step is to convert to CMYK. Then the following

Sharpening
Would sharpen the image in black plate using unsharp mask. maybe can try various settings, perhaps 500%, radius 0.8 - 1.0, plus 4- 8 pts for threshold

Sky
a. Select the sky areas using whichever method you like (i use magic wand cuz lazy)
b. use curves (adjustment layer) to steepen the contrast in Cyan plate

Building
a. make a selection of the building (you can also save it if you like)
b. use curves to increase contrast in shadows and highlights overall. If you like, you can also experiment using black plate (which i tried)
c. after done with all (sky/tress/building), convert image to LAB workspace, select building again, and use curves (light channel) to increase contrast in shadow and highlight.

Trees (if they were more yellow-green)
a. Select trees
b. either use selective colour to reduce magenta, or use curves to boost yellow plate.

Anyways, here's the image using the above method. have saved back into RGB jpeg. hope you dun mind that i used it.

Hi LENS, sorry but i can't post attachments so maybe will try to send to you email. still figuring how to do this.

Hi, sorry just read the forum guides. This is the colour corrected image.

09_Stupa_with_colour_correction_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.