Color Blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand

Jul 12, 2006
Singapore
Hi guys,

Will red/green colorblindness have a great impact on me being a "free lance photographer" in the future??

I'm currently doing this as a hobby and a "school subject" and already considering buying lenses and other stuff.

Umm, do you think i should stop photography because this factor??

Many Thanks,
Hansen NG ;)

P.S. Your comments will be greatly appreciated! ^^

hai there, i dun think colour-blindness will affect u becoming a free lance photographer coz i have a big bro who has colour blindness himself but he can take very good photos with excellent colour and contrast... So dun let this become a factor... ;)

Will red/green colorblindness have a great impact on me being a "free lance photographer" in the future??

Its not red and green right? Its the most common red/green colour blindness right? You would be able to see red and green colours. Its just that you will fail the colour blindness test right? I have this red/green colour blindness as well. Its an extremely mild form only. You will only fail the test or where such colour hues are used only.

Technically, I too have this red/green colour blindness but I have never been certified. My brother has been certifed though. I always fail the test though. In short order, don't worry. It won't affect you as a freelancer as its very very mild only. The only kind of jobs that you may not get are those in the nautical field and aircraft flying or certain areas where differientation of colours in the environment is extreme important to job safety.

there is different penetration levels for this inheritance. some is worse than the others and some is mild. so it depends.

of cos, you can stick to black and white and IR too. ;)

hai there, i dun think colour-blindness will affect u becoming a free lance photographer coz i have a big bro who has colour blindness himself but he can take very good photos with excellent colour and contrast... So dun let this become a factor... ;)
2nd the above.
Just don't let color blindness become a factor to stop you.

Hi guys,

I'm currently doing this as a hobby and a "school subject" and already considering buying lenses and other stuff.

Umm, do you think i should stop photography because this factor??

Many Thanks,
Hansen NG ;)

P.S. Your comments will be greatly appreciated! ^^

Found out I'm colorblind when I took my college entrance exam back home. I failed the eye test that was required for the (engineering) course that i wanted to take. :( Mine is green also, I believe its the most common, but you will find ways to adjust... An example is the stop lights, you already know which one is green based on the position of the lights. :) But mine is not that bad though. :D

Dont give it up. Should not be a problem I think. :)

OMG. :(

What did the doc and school advise?

Cheers

Umm, the docter said this is a "PERMANENT CONDITION". And he also gave me a 4 page "job sheet" which i can't or am not advice to take up in the near future, some examples are :

1, Colour Photographer
2, Forensic scientist
3, Accountant
4, Butcher
5, Cook or Chef
6, Farmer
7, Fishmonger
8, Librarian
9, Miner
10, Surgeon
11, Zoologist

I just noticed that "colour photographer" is in the list. Randomly picked these few jobs as well. I got "Certified" colourblind in pri 6 when i had to read the "polka dot-coloured chart" like this.

A, looks 70
B, looks 16-ish
C, nothing
D, looks 26

Thanks for those who viewed and posted! Hope to see you guys in future outings! ;)

Many Thanks,
Hansen NG :)

Umm, the docter said this is a "PERMANENT CONDITION". And he also gave me a 4 page "job sheet" which i can't or am not advice to take up in the near future, some examples are :

1, Colour Photographer
2, Forensic scientist
3, Accountant
4, Butcher
5, Cook or Chef
6, Farmer
7, Fishmonger
8, Librarian
9, Miner
10, Surgeon
11, Zoologist

I just noticed that "colour photographer" is in the list. Randomly picked these few jobs as well. I got "Certified" colourblind in pri 6 when i had to read the "polka dot-coloured chart" like this.

A, looks 70
B, looks 16-ish
C, nothing
D, looks 26

Thanks for those who viewed and posted! Hope to see you guys in future outings! ;)

Many Thanks,

Ya same like u... hehe... problem is... i can't see all the numbers... hehe.

During P6, dunno y, out of so many, they signal me out... so took the test, Red/Green. Then during poly entrance, i took again, Complete... oh well... then tried the test again, same... oh well... life goes on... doesn't mean cannot see mean cannot take color pics rite... just have to pray to the camera before taking a shot, dun screw up the white balance.

Ya same like u... hehe... problem is... i can't see all the numbers... hehe.

During P6, dunno y, out of so many, they signal me out... so took the test, Red/Green. Then during poly entrance, i took again, Complete... oh well... then tried the test again, same... oh well... life goes on... doesn't mean cannot see mean cannot take color pics rite... just have to pray to the camera before taking a shot, dun screw up the white balance.

Lucky we have PS! I heard there is a cure for color blindness in GERMANY. Hope its true! :)

Lucky we have PS! I heard there is a cure for color blindness in GERMANY. Hope its true! :)

last heard is wear some glasses, but then its not like u can see colors... and only for mild affected... ppl like me super jia lat... haha... remember the other day i showed a pic to a fren, then he say how come my tree is yellow... so i chuck the pic away... nice composition thou.. just bad colors... and i hate b&w... dun ask me y...:devil:

A, looks 70
B, looks 16-ish
C, nothing
D, looks 26

Many Thanks,

look like your condition not that bad at all. Put it another way your eye are more sensitive to blue. The blue dot 70 is embed into the 29, esp the 9.

I'll not name names but there are at least 2 top fashion photogs here who are colourblind...don't give up hope :)

look like your condition not that bad at all. Put it another way your eye are more sensitive to blue. The blue dot 70 is embed into the 29, esp the 9.

I'll not name names but there are at least 2 top fashion photogs here who are colourblind...don't give up hope :)

Thanks longkangman and theRBK. :)

Don't worry too much about colour blindness lah. Bethoven was deaf and he can compose great masterpieces. You are much better off because you can still see.
Just use one of those cameras like D200 (shameless Nikon plug) that has great Auto-WB and shoot away.
Photography is about seeing the world thru your own eyes, not somebody else's.

I too was certified red/green colourblind in primary school. Actually the correct term is color deficient and not color blind. Anyway, I find it near impossible to recognize a color cast or wrong white balance in my photos unless it is very obvious, and so I always do auto-color correction in Photoshop and hope for the best.

If you are intending to do photography professionally I would recommend sticking to black and white. Even if you can hire people to check color for you, the issue may come up during talks with customers and clients. It could be embarassing or worse they may fire you.

Then maybe can try wearing those yellow specs for shooting. It may help cut some of the blue and the colour vision may be normal?

em, why dun you try shooting and editing/posting and see what ppl sees of it? empty talks lead to nowhere. your color blindness may be mild or negligible.

em, why dun you try shooting and editing/posting and see what ppl sees of it? empty talks lead to nowhere. your color blindness may be mild or negligible.

#1 - Jurong Birdpark

#2 - Holden cars go head to head @ royal adelaide show.

#3 - Biker doing stunt @ royal adelaide show.

1st pic was using 50mm f1.8
2nd and 3rd with Kit lense.

c & c welcome. Thanks for viewing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.