Cold woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantsung

Jun 7, 2005
This was taken in downtown Seoul where they have this big canal.

The temperature is like -10c and this old lady was just sitting there. I like the way the light highlights her sitting area.

Would appreciate comments though.

Thanks

20080124Seoul04.jpg

May be try taking at an angle that can see her face to show that a woman...Hope this help...;)

Actually, its quite alright that her face is not shown.I'd actually have preferred that we see only the hood and no part of her head, because the skin is in the highlights and its very distracting.
Showing the face wont really show the coldness.My opinion is that the real coldness is when we dont get to see the face of the person and find that our bond with the subject is somewhat ''cold''.

i felt the same way too, the angle should be lower to bring more connection between the subject and the viewer. from this angle it becomes nothing more than a snapshot kind.

Its a good observation and the composition I think its alright, tighter cropping will do fine too!

The beam of sunlight kind of counters the description that it's cold. Sunlight is associated with warmth.

Thanks for the comments. Will need to improve more!

Concept wise it would have worked IMHO.

But this shot didn't work for me cos the woman seemed a little soft, but the water seems tack sharp. Probably you messed up your focus cos you didn't want to miss the shot? Also, I find that there's a tad too much of the water..

Just my 2 cents.. :embrass:

I dont think it needs snow or overcast skies to show that its cold.The thick clothing that she is wearing is enough to show that the place is cold.In fact, its the beam of light that really makes it feel cold IMO.For someone to need that kind of warm clothing despite the sun shining brightly just shows how cold it gets.

I think you need to watch how your lines cut into the subject.
The composition is fine, but putting her at the centre of the converging curves would bring about more impact.I dont like the way it cuts into her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.