Cold weather... what special care needed for camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan

Sep 30, 2004
Singapore
Hi all,

Your advice needed :)
I will be going to Hong Kong in min-Jan, heard that the weather there will be quite cold, wanna check with your that what special cares are needed under cold weather?

Thank you in advance :)

ivan said:
Hi all,

Your advice needed :)
I will be going to Hong Kong in min-Jan, heard that the weather there will be quite cold, wanna check with your that what special cares are needed under cold weather?

Thank you in advance :)
Keep a spare set of batteries(for camera and flash) in your pants pockets to keep them warm, and use the batteries alternatively.

I do not think HK will be that cold. I subjected my cam to temperatures of 2 deg C - 12 deg C while I was in NZ in Sep. No loss of battery life.

Another way is...keep the cam in your bag which should insulate it. Take out only when you want to take pics.

if you''re using a digital P&S, the cool environment is good for the cam cos they heat up quite easily, having a cool environment help in heat dissipation.

DSLRs no idea how to handle cos I don't own one.

I brought my P&S for mt climbing trips and get rather cold up there. Watch out for condensation on the front lens element that's about all..

Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice, really appreciated :)

Madmax said:
I do not think HK will be that cold. I subjected my cam to temperatures of 2 deg C - 12 deg C while I was in NZ in Sep. No loss of battery life.

Another way is...keep the cam in your bag which should insulate it. Take out only when you want to take pics.

I used my camera in temperatures from -12deg to 3deg...batteries for my flash (4x2300mAh) could only last 1 day, so had to recharge every night..

HK not cold, hence no problem at all
Can shoot per normal as in singapore.
That kinda temperature difference is small.

I've subject my camera to temperature like 0 deg. using 2 BP-511s at one go can last me 2-3 days, depending on ur shooting style.

squalle said:
HK not cold, hence no problem at all
Can shoot per normal as in singapore.
That kinda temperature difference is small.

I've subject my camera to temperature like 0 deg. using 2 BP-511s at one go can last me 2-3 days, depending on ur shooting style.

depend la
this week is damn cold
always less than 10 degree and windy ...

oh

hmm
but then, below 10 shd be OK too
hehe
been to such place b4.
just prepare spare batts lor.

latmo: in sg now?

ya just back a few day
back to the point
i heard some of my friends that climb up to the mountain to take some sunries photo
and it reach -2 degree just took around 50 shot the camera become low batt

latmo said:
depend la
this week is damn cold
always less than 10 degree and windy ...

ya, called my relative there and they said tt hk will be quite cold at that time :) tt's y need the advices from u guys, thank you :bsmilie:

One old trick taught by a veteren photog, esp. critical for large lens (SLRs/DSLRs), when moving from a cold area to a hot area, ensure you at least keep your lens under your jacket, for acclimatisation (not sure if correct term) so that your lens won't fog. Else, it takes a rather long time for the lens to un-fog.

One of my experience, not in taking care of camera but rather taking photo. Don't be surprised your camera (esp. metal bodies) will be so cold that you will have trouble holding your camera (a bit like holding ice cubes) and it will affect your photo-taking. On the other hand, if you're intending to use a glove (to combat the cold), make sure it's not those durian sellers type where it's so thick that you have trouble pressing any buttons.

Adams

spurssy said:
One old trick taught by a veteren photog, esp. critical for large lens (SLRs/DSLRs), when moving from a cold area to a hot area, ensure you at least keep your lens under your jacket, for acclimatisation (not sure if correct term) so that your lens won't fog. Else, it takes a rather long time for the lens to un-fog.

One of my experience, not in taking care of camera but rather taking photo. Don't be surprised your camera (esp. metal bodies) will be so cold that you will have trouble holding your camera (a bit like holding ice cubes) and it will affect your photo-taking. On the other hand, if you're intending to use a glove (to combat the cold), make sure it's not those durian sellers type where it's so thick that you have trouble pressing any buttons.

Adams
last week i just had a fogging encounter in sg.. from my air con vehicle to a rainy outdoor... lens fog...

anyway i contemplating to make a heater for my lens, any idea how to tap power from the Dynax 7D? btw i manufacture heater so i shouldn't have a problem with making 1, only thing is where should i place the heater & wats the appropriate temperature...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
anyway i contemplating to make a heater for my lens

A heater seems a rather drastic solution... and it adds to the weight and bulkiness.

Adams

No need to do anything lah. Just make sure you bring enought batteries and your charger.

I was at Canberra the other time with -2 to 0 degrees. Never have any insulation. Still works perfectly. :) Don't think HK will reach that temperature at this time. At most is around 5-10 degrees.

Hi,

I was in HK for 9 years before I come to singapore in 1997. I did not have any problem with my camera. I just used only a normal insulated bag that given to me by canon when I purchased the camera then.

The only thing you should do is keep the camera in the bag all the time- what I mean is that once you finish your shots, keep it back in the bag. It is always better. Where u r planning to stay. Make sure once you reach the hotel room or home, do not take out the camera from your bag. As the room temperature will differ from outside drastically, as people/Hotel rooms in HK use room heater which may cause fog to appear in side the camera lens as there is a heavy variation in the temperature.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.