Cold lonely road

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
Hi all fellow clubsnappers and seniors and pros and sifus

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
please critique on Composition and framing, and other areas as required. please do not critique image sharpness as this was done with "mediocre" equipment (EOS 500D + 28-80 3.5-5.6 (very old film kit lens with no IS, no USM, just plain old AF motor)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I had hoped to convey the solitude and the cold clinical environment of the airport terminal to show the loneliness of the traveler in the frame

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was challenging myself to take interesting photos within 15mins (shoot and scoot) of alighting from my bus (to save on bus transfer fees)
:p it is an interesting experience to shoot under time constraint and I hope that this image can at least show that some thinking and consideration had been put into composition.

This photo was shot in JPEG Black and White and submitted without any photo editing at all.

I was a week old newbie at the time of photo taking

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I took this photo when I was a week-old DSLR Newbie
Partially it was luck that I noticed the lone traveler and also of being subconsciously aware of the cold and sterile environment (aircon blasting)

I enjoyed seeing the lines in the environment lead the traveler away .

all C & C welcome even harsh ones (within reasonable critique. eg unreasonable critique: please don't ask me why I am not shooting with a better body, better equipment, etc, unless you are willing to sponsor me for that ;) )

thanks to all seniors and sifus in advance. meow
Shizuma

395825_3243048482520_319576681_n.jpg

I think this shot works very well. You've used leading line to your advantage to draw viewer eyes to the subject. Well done.

Looks good

If got a bit more time I may want to move a bit to the right and turn the camera a bit to the left such that the middle line on the floor is parallel to the side frames (and the 'rectangles' on the floor will align with the picture frame)

Probably can improve the contrast and sharpness of the image in post processing too

And I don't think your equipment is mediocre hehe... sometimes understanding your equipment and working around the limitations helps you to learn more :)

IMO, doesn't seems "cold and lonely" in this photo and is brightly lit up. So the feeling of loneliness is not there...You have more than enough leading lines but not interesting and rather dull... Perhaps could change the overall feel with some PP to portray a stronger mood of "cold and lonely"......:)

not too sure about the title, but heres what i did

395825_3243048482520_319576681_n_zps106cae56.jpg

some clarity increase and vignette

i think it is better if you use a lens with less distortion or a fish eye lens to make the distortion and add vignette, higher shadow, more contrast.

over all i think it is nice and you wanted to show lonely and took as wide as you can which i can understand. but i think it will be better as de-saturated and not fully black and white.

i think it is better if you use a lens with less distortion or a fish eye lens to make the distortion and add vignette, higher shadow, more contrast.

over all i think it is nice and you wanted to show lonely and took as wide as you can which i can understand. but i think it will be better as de-saturated and not fully black and white.

Thanks for the carefully considered critique so far.

Keep them coming! :)

395825_3243048482520_319576681_n_zps106cae56.jpg

like this framing more.

but pic does not portray coldness and loneliness, IMHO

Nice shot and lots of beautiful lines. Unique to have the reflection on the ceiling - interesting. Well, not really 'Cold lonely road', perhaps... 'Long road ahead'.

thanks for the like , and the well- considered critiques so far! keep them coming!

Think I prefer the original. Too much contrast and vignetting spoils the clear emptiness of the intended.
Not enough space in the modified version also to convey the cold loneliness.

Sorry for the reply to an old post. Keeping with the title, I would go the other side from Shiosaki. Cropped to the left side of original, slight rotation to straighten the walking man and used a Sepia tone for more 'lonely' feel. Unfortunately it's probably not as 'cold' anymore. Just my intepretation.

I myself prefer the original. Not too comfortable with the blueness of catchlight'sversion. The emptiness on the left has conveyed the intended message to some extent which i feel do not need a tweak in colour balance or tone.

it's pretty neat that everyone has an interpretation too. i think it represents the diversity of artistic views! :)
that being said I am very "lazy" to PP and almost all my photos are as PP-less as possible except where highlight recovery was required

I myself prefer the original. Not too comfortable with the blueness of catchlight'sversion. The emptiness on the left has conveyed the intended message to some extent which i feel do not need a tweak in colour balance or tone.

me too...would be good if u waited abit more for the person to go further up..so he is small..gives a minimalistic feeling..

me too...would be good if u waited abit more for the person to go further up..so he is small..gives a minimalistic feeling..

I was concerned that if he became too small in the image he would not be anchoring it , but still that's an idea too, I should shoot a few more frames as he walks away (it's digital and almost free right)...then select the best

I was concerned that if he became too small in the image he would not be anchoring it , but still that's an idea too, I should shoot a few more frames as he walks away (it's digital and almost free right)...then select the best

Yea..who knows what u might catch..u can see him looking up to the roof? Or even see him stretch his arms?..maybe even start crying..lol..

the leading lines will still bring viewers attention onto the man even he is much smaller in the frame.

blue, is color of coldness,
crop away some part of top and bottom, so the leading lines start from four corners.

Sorry for the reply to an old post. Keeping with the title, I would go the other side from Shiosaki. Cropped to the left side of original, slight rotation to straighten the walking man and used a Sepia tone for more 'lonely' feel. Unfortunately it's probably not as 'cold' anymore. Just my intepretation.

I like this version regarding composition, on original version, subject is little bit dead center, IMHO of course