Cold Hotlights.. the new revolution in studio lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
haha Just learnt of a new development in studio lighting.. apparently there's new studio 'strobes' that use fluorsecent lights (continuous) instead of flashes now. its counter to our old teaching that flourescent lights give a green cast.. but we forget we are in digital age now. AWB works pretty well in sorting the color cast. if it fails.. use the custom wb!

anyone already using it in singapore?

ahem to the big sellers in CS heh new biz tip for u!

haha Just learnt of a new development in studio lighting.. apparently there's new studio 'strobes' that use fluorsecent lights (continuous) instead of flashes now. its counter to our old teaching that flourescent lights give a green cast.. but we forget we are in digital age now. AWB works pretty well in sorting the color cast. if it fails.. use the custom wb!

Whats the power output of those fluorescent lights?
Can use Ikea lamps? or Maybe go DIY stalls rig up something to hold onto the fluorescent lights.. :bsmilie:

Whats the power output of those fluorescent lights?
Can use Ikea lamps? or Maybe go DIY stalls rig up something to hold onto the fluorescent lights.. :bsmilie:

kekek I am doing that already..
but trying to get the lamps together inside a softbox is abit hard..
also i have no proper lightstand..
it works well for tabletops tho..

the rigs i have seen from pics are 5 27W lamps. they look like the normal ones (ikea if u must)
in tungsten terms each lamp gives 100W of light (but its much cooler and more energy efficient)

heh sounds exciting yah?

they are around for a very very long time,it's just that technology has made advancement in these lights that result in cooler units,so it can be use in some situations where you previously would have shunned them of the heat.

There's a detail article on continuous lighting in the May/June 2007 issue of Digital PhotoPro mag.

yes, they were some profession studio flourescent light being around since film days, and it is using 5500k daylight balance tube, can't recall what's the name, it is a British brand IIRC.

AFAIK, you can get very soft light from this, but can't get hard light, and you can't freeze movement like strobe light do, perhaps this is their limitation.

hmm i knew hotlights were ard for a long time but i dint know there's studio flourescent lights since film days! interesting..
won't it be cool if i use flourescent lights to light up the environment then use a on camera flash to freeze the subject's motion?
but the color cast of a speedlite and floursecent is very different ya?

i've tried this and i've encountered 2 problems. the first problem is a pretty big one, brightness. most of these bulbs arn't anywhere as bright as a strobe, even my sb 80 at 1/32 beats 2 40w FL lights at the same distance.

the other problem is because its going to be pretty hard to get them in the exact same temp as your flash you end up either using the flash or the light, after awhile, it will start to cheese you off as you have to shoot pretty wide open and at a much lower speed. for example, with 2 40w FL, i was shooting ay f3.5 @ 1/60th of a sec.

I have tested a few continuous light which my friend brought from China. A Collapsible softbox 40cm x 40cm fixed together with a socket lamp together like a umbrella. I used 200w (fruit stall light bulbs) in a commercial shoot.

Few disadvantages using these bulb, super hot and take times to turn white and once switch off must wait for 1-2 minutes to on again. Overall good for shooting simple small products or close up portraits :)

Those are good for videos. But you are right to say that shooting digital now, with AWB and clean high ISO, these lamps has become feasible for photography.

yes, they were some profession studio flourescent light being around since film days, and it is using 5500k daylight balance tube, can't recall what's the name, it is a British brand IIRC.

AFAIK, you can get very soft light from this, but can't get hard light, and you can't freeze movement like strobe light do, perhaps this is their limitation.

Tricolour consumer tubes nowadays also give good colouur balance. I'm using Philips tricolour tubes for my home.

I think fluorescent studio lights have been around for quite some time. They uses 4 to 8 high output fluorescent (40W or 55W each). The light output, although not as strong as that from flashes, is quite intense.

BC

Those are good for videos. But you are right to say that shooting digital now, with AWB and clean high ISO, these lamps has become feasible for photography.

oh for advantages..
they wont distract models (kids animals) with flashes or cause them to blink.
and its easier for noobs to see the effect of the lights as they will be WYSIWYG

replacement bulbs are super cheap and last longer.

I just checked in a book about lighting basicsthat was reissued in 2001.

Apparently there are a few brands around, but what struck me was that the one that was (back then) very well known is the Kinoflo brand.

I've seen them in action during pre-prod filming, and must say they actually did appeal to me, initially. You'll probably hear the name being mentioned in various forums where there is mention of professional grade consinuous/flo lighting.

The real floursecent continous lights are very expensive. And I think its wrong to describe them as cool hot lights. They are called Cool Continuous Lighting.

and yeap, they have been ard for quite a long time already.

Status
Not open for further replies.