COKIN Wide Angle P-Holder – MODIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadEnd

Nov 24, 2006
Ang Mo Kio
www.flickr.com
I would like to share with all of you here on the so called Cokin Wide Angle P-Holder which is not so wide after all cos it has hard vignette on my Tokina 12-24mm f4.0 at 14mm and below. There are 2 flaws in its design, one, the thickness of the holder and the unnecessary space between the holder and the Cokin filter and two, smaller than 77mm hole infront.

A simple mod with just a simple tool will correct the flaws in its design. A sand paper and patience are all you need to mod the original NOT SO Wide Angle P-Holder to REALLY Wide Angle P-Holder.

Mount Type 1

The main cause for the vignette is due to the smaller than 77mm hole infront. I have used a sand paper to make a bigger hole. After sanding, the label Dia 77-France on the Cokin ring can be seen after mounting. The P-Holder is mounted on the lens the usual way without any 77mm filter infront. And the result is that I can now shoot at 12mm on my Tokina without any vignette. I am not sure whether this will work for Sigma user at 10mm, but if it doesn’t, can always try Mount Type 2

dsc3302zy7.jpg

Mount Type 2

This is my favorite cos it is the most convenience of all. The hole had been sand to the exact diameter to fit into my Hoya HMC filter. I can just snap it on to my Hoya without the hassle of removing the Hoya filter and screw in the Cokin ring. As you can see from the pic below, the edge of the filter ring is flushed with the Cokin Holder. If there is any vignette, it can only be caused by the filter. It can also be mounted on a CPL the same way as well if you need the polarising effect with the Cokin filter.

dsc3304as7.jpg

Mount Type 3

If you think Mount Type 2 is insecured or you have accidentally sand the hole bigger than the exact diameter, you can place the Cokin ring infront of the P-Holder which acts like a screw with washer. The only problem is that it might take a while to screw in the Cokin ring with the P-Holder into the 77mm filter.

dsc3307vx0.jpg

Mount Type 4

If sanding a round hole isn’t your cup of tea, you can always to do a reverse mount of the P-Holder to get the same vignetteless pic at 12mm. But you still have to sand down protruding Cokin label at the back, in order for the Cokin filter to slide all the way down.

dsc3316av9.jpg

Happy Shooting after Sanding!

WOW, that is BRILLIANT! :thumbsup:

I like Type 2 the most because I'd like it to fit on my UV filter. It is also the most convenient.

If you stack the UV filter and the Cokin, you get even MORE vignetting. So what I do is I remove the UV filter and mount the cokin directly, but when I shoot in coastal areas with plenty of sun, sea, salt and sand, the front element gets very dirty since there is no UV to protect it. Spent too many nights cleaning the front element and sand is particularly bad because it can and WILL damage your lens. Not to mention salt.

May I suggest Type 5, really a Type 2 modification. If you have a spare UV filter, sand the Cokin to fit the UV filter and once it's perfect, superglue it in place. Be careful of cyanoacrylate "super" glue because it can easily fog your UV filter.. try something else like Loctite or Araldite 2-part epoxy. Of course this is a permanent mod to the Cokin, but allows you to use your Cokin and still have a UV protective filter.

To remove the Cokin from the lens simply unscrew the UV filter and replace it with your normal regular UV filter. This works great if you have other 77mm lenses.

Looks like I have to buy some sandpaper when I next to go the hardware shop.. :D

cool man i wanna try this out too!

pardon my ignorance, but what's the price difference between the normal P holder and the wide angle one? thanks!

cool man i wanna try this out too!

pardon my ignorance, but what's the price difference between the normal P holder and the wide angle one? thanks!

A bigger frame which holds 3 filters (wide angle holds only 1). Of course, this bigger frame makes it stick out more and runs the risk of causing more vignetting.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out :)

WOW, that is BRILLIANT! :thumbsup:

May I suggest Type 5, really a Type 2 modification. If you have a spare UV filter, sand the Cokin to fit the UV filter and once it's perfect, superglue it in place. Be careful of cyanoacrylate "super" glue because it can easily fog your UV filter.. try something else like Loctite or Araldite 2-part epoxy. Of course this is a permanent mod to the Cokin, but allows you to use your Cokin and still have a UV protective filter.

To remove the Cokin from the lens simply unscrew the UV filter and replace it with your normal regular UV filter. This works great if you have other 77mm lenses.

Thanks, great idea you have there.

But if you glue to cokin holder to the filter, it cannot turn. To compensate for it by loosening the filter, the rim of the filter becomes thicker and can cause vignetting.

another simple way is if u do not stack to many filters
u can just blue tac the filter to the lens
( on lens body .. not the glass : )

Cool mod... cheap too... :thumbsup:

Just wanna add a small pointer for photogs using the sigma 10-20mm. If you're using a B+W 77mm slim UV filter, you can just snap the P holder on, without using any adapter ring at all. It fits very snugly. No need to sand, no need to saw, no need to glue, just snap on. Hope this helps. I was fiddling with my camera after reading this thread, and it worked like a charm. No visible vignetting. Thanks though, DeadEnd, this has been a very helpful thread.

Great modification, esp type 2! I was just blaming myself for ill storage, resulting in my 77mm mounting ring being bent. Din know it can mount directly! FYI, for those normal UV filters, the holder will just snap on. Quite snug, won't drop unless i shake it vigorously.

Status
Not open for further replies.