Cokin P-Series vignetting at 18mm?

flyeminent

Dec 24, 2010
Hi fellow members,
I am new to Graduated neutral filter (GND) and I just bought a Cokin P-series filter system (second hand).
My gear: 18-200mm Nikkor VR II lens + 72-77mm setup ring + 77mm adapter ring + Cokin P-series filter holder + Tianya GND filter (sounds quite a heavy installation huh:eek:)
When I shot at 18mm, I noticed there is vignetting at four corners of the images.
Is is a normal phenomenon? Anybody who using the similar setting has ever spot this phenomenon before?
If I just change card holder to Z-Pro series, will the vignetting gone at 18mm?
Thank you for any advice.

Hi fellow members,
I am new to Graduated neutral filter (GND) and I just bought a Cokin P-series filter system (second hand).
My gear: 18-200mm Nikkor VR II lens + 72-77mm setup ring + 77mm adapter ring + Cokin P-series filter holder + Tianya GND filter (sounds quite a heavy installation huh:eek:)
When I shot at 18mm, I noticed there is vignetting at four corners of the images.
Is is a normal phenomenon? Anybody who using the similar setting has ever spot this phenomenon before?
If I just change card holder to Z-Pro series, will the vignetting gone at 18mm?
Thank you for any advice.

options are if you are staying with the p-series;
1. use the uwa holder (hold only 1 filter)
2. get the 72mm adapter ring and remove the uv if you have it on
3. if there are still details in in corners, vignetting can be remove during pp (to a certain degree)
4. get the z series

options are if you are staying with the p-series;
1. use the uwa holder (hold only 1 filter)
2. get the 72mm adapter ring and remove the uv if you have it on
3. if there are still details in in corners, vignetting can be remove during pp (to a certain degree)
4. get the z series
Thank you for quick reply. Does P-series have UWA holder? I just found that my holder only has one slot. And it is definitely not a UWA holder anyway. If I buy UWA, I don't think my GND can fit the holder, because UWA holder is wider?

Thank you for quick reply. Does P-series have UWA holder? I just found that my holder only has one slot. And it is definitely not a UWA holder anyway. If I buy UWA, I don't think my GND can fit the holder, because UWA holder is wider?

Sounds like you are already using the Wide Angle Holder already. Please ensure that you have removed the UV filter if any.

Cokin wide-angle holder has only 1 slot, whereas the "standard" version comes with 3 slots. You are already using the wide-angle holder.

I used to own the Cokin WA holder, no vignette at all using EF-S 10-22mm at 10mm and the lens has a B+W slim UV on it. Can you try taking a photo with just the WA holder mounted on the lens without the Tianya GND?

Hi Sky,
You are right. After I removed UV filter, there was no more vignetting.
Sounds like you are already using the Wide Angle Holder already. Please ensure that you have removed the UV filter if any.

Hi yrh,
wow, you have bought a slim UV. That sounds wonderful. My UV caused the vignetting. After I removed it, I could shoot through the filter without vignetting at 18mm. Thank you.
Cokin wide-angle holder has only 1 slot, whereas the "standard" version comes with 3 slots. You are already using the wide-angle holder.

I used to own the Cokin WA holder, no vignette at all using EF-S 10-22mm at 10mm and the lens has a B+W slim UV on it. Can you try taking a photo with just the WA holder mounted on the lens without the Tianya GND?

Hi yrh,
wow, you have bought a slim UV. That sounds wonderful. My UV caused the vignetting. After I removed it, I could shoot through the filter without vignetting at 18mm. Thank you.

For UWAs, you will have to get the slim profile filters, else it may cause your picture to vignette. But even if it's slim profile, when working with P filters, you will still have to remove it, else it will vignette from 10mm to ~12mm.