Cokin P series. anyone using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use the p system - the wide angle filter holder (one slot for filters only) with my UWA.. but i don't use cokin filters, i find them a little too overpriced for the quality (yes), even compared to singh-ray. might as well get tianya - cheaper, frankly more neutral.. and not too shabby in terms of image degradation.

not many people use gnd filters in singapore - in short either they feel the desire to use it, thinking (sometimes wrongly) that they can recover the details; or some will profess that you can always do it digitally.. which is not off the mark if you merge a few frames, but it is a hassle, much more than just using the filter while shooting.

entropy - there is slight vignetting at 10mm, just darkening of the corners if you use the wide angle filter holder; please do not get the 3 filter holder, you can see the holder in your viewfinder. just stop down, from f/16 you will see much less vignetting already.

Yeah, I have a mix of Tianya and Cokin P filters.... The Tianya works fine for me, and was like 10 for $100 or so with some freebies thrown in.....

I love the GND and ND filters and always carry it out. Even in broad daylight with no water, you can get some clouds movement over 60 secs exposure and the pix looks and feel different.

For the wide angle, I dont use a holder, just my fingers holding the filter against the lens and then "freeze" for 60 secs or whatever duration. Ha.... sounds spastic and I've gotten odd looks before. The wide angle single filter holder allows use from 17mm or so and mine's 11mm at widest and becomes 16.5mm with the crop factor in..... so sad. Just that much a diff.....

.... sounds spastic and I've gotten odd looks before.

Not spastic at all. Short of buying into a larger and more expensive filter system, it is actually pretty convenient. The trade offs being the filters ( especially the resin ones ) can accrue microabrasions after awhile ( but no biggie since the fine scratches are usually not too visible even when pixel peeping ), risk of accidentally shaking the camera setup on long exposures, or a poor GND placement ( again because of handshake when you are doing long exposures ) .

I hardly use the Cokin P holder when using filters except using them in making panoramas where i need some decent placement across all frames.

Ryan

Not spastic at all. Short of buying into a larger and more expensive filter system, it is actually pretty convenient. The trade offs being the filters ( especially the resin ones ) can accrue microabrasions after awhile ( but no biggie since the fine scratches are usually not too visible even when pixel peeping ), risk of accidentally shaking the camera setup on long exposures, or a poor GND placement ( again because of handshake when you are doing long exposures ) .

I hardly use the Cokin P holder when using filters except using them in making panoramas where i need some decent placement across all frames.

Ryan

Yep, that's true.... most often, I insert the ND4 + ND4 + ND8 together on the 3 filter holder..... get longer exposures..... hahaa.... just toying around with slow shutter speeds....

Mebbe about time to get one of the ND1100 or something....can't remember... someone told me before of a Cokin P filter that stops down about 7-8 stops at one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.