COKIN Neutral Grey filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzotint

Dec 27, 2004
Balestier area
martinliew.zenfolio.com
Greetings everyone!

Recently I bought the COKIN ND filter product code P154 (ND8). I wanted the darkest shade though and I'm kinda confused by the numbers as I dunno how much f/stops I have to compensate for exposure.

There are P152 (ND2) & P153 (ND4). I was wondering if the number ND2 means +2 f/stop exposure. Appreciate if any experienced filter user can share his/her experience and knowledge on this one. Thanks in advance. :)

sorry i can't help you with the questions here. but would like to know where do you purchase in singapore?
thanks.

rEveRie said:
sorry i can't help you with the questions here. but would like to know where do you purchase in singapore?
thanks.

You can purchase from Cathay Photo, Peninsula Plaza.

Cheers
John

Mezzotint said:
Greetings everyone!

Recently I bought the COKIN ND filter product code P154 (ND8). I wanted the darkest shade though and I'm kinda confused by the numbers as I dunno how much f/stops I have to compensate for exposure.

There are P152 (ND2) & P153 (ND4). I was wondering if the number ND2 means +2 f/stop exposure. Appreciate if any experienced filter user can share his/her experience and knowledge on this one. Thanks in advance. :)

An ND2 filter = 0.3 density = 1 f-stop. ND4 = 2 f-stops and ND8 = 4 f-stops.

Ah thanks my dear friend, Vincent!

Well you might ask why I need so much densed filter for. We all know the fickled kind of weather in Singapore and it seems like they are like seasons or most people called monsoon weather. On most hot and sunny day, the sunlight is so strong that with mild densed filter and appropriate aperture setting, photographer still can capture and make the correct exposures. Howsoever, when shooting certain kind of scenery, one might wanna cut down lotsa light captured and/or to have more motion blur efx e.g. rocks or pebbles by the beach shore when the sea waves rush in and out, to create a cloud-like blur efx OR shooting sunrise when yr camera is pointing towards the sun. ND8 (+ 4 f/stops) comes in handy. Of cuz not to mention using a Circular Polarizer filter (+ 2 f/stops) to filter out all the unwanted light in the spectrum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.