Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

nuttyng

Oct 23, 2009
Bukit Panjang
Can tian ya filters fit into cokin holders cause i read some of the threads here, some of the CSers said they used that combination, but when i went to Cathay Photo in the afternoon, i was told a by the lady there that the Tian Ya filters could not fit with the Cokin holders. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks

Cokin has different systems... get the P ones. I personally have TianYa filters on Cokin holders. TianYa is also limited in their choices of filters as compared to Cokin.

Thanks guys, erm btw what is the diff between P type Z type X pro? Any more other types?

Is the Cokin holder better than the Tianya holder? I was thinking of getting the whole Tainya kit.

Just that it's a real pity that I can't get Cokin Z series filter holder for the 4x6 longer filter. The Z series no more available in Singapore.
These are so much more stable than my Tianya holder, and correct me if I am wrong, also much more stable than the Cokin P series holders.

Just that it's a real pity that I can't get Cokin Z series filter holder for the 4x6 longer filter. The Z series no more available in Singapore.
These are so much more stable than my Tianya holder, and correct me if I am wrong, also much more stable than the Cokin P series holders.

What's the problem with Tanya holder? Care to enlighten me?

I've never used the Cokin ones...

But with my Tian Ya filter, its always been a struggle to remove the square filters from the holders, and the holders from the adapter ring.

I've never used the Cokin ones...

But with my Tian Ya filter, its always been a struggle to remove the square filters from the holders, and the holders from the adapter ring.

Oh dear .. lucky I didnt buy yet. Was thinking of saving some money with the tanya holder to pay for the cokin filters. How about the tanya filters, are they on par or are the cokin ones better? Scratches?

Oh dear .. lucky I didnt buy yet. Was thinking of saving some money with the tanya holder to pay for the cokin filters. How about the tanya filters, are they on par or are the cokin ones better? Scratches?

Easy to scratch, but they work very well for me, not much of a colour cast issue, which is easy to correct in post process anyway. Also, because of the circumstances where you use the filters, you're not very likely to be touching either side of it anyway... So the only thing that's usually causing scratches to them is the holder itself. Those are at the sides so they wont affect your photo anyhow.

Last edited:

phazed1, I can only share with you my experience with my Tianya holder and my experience with the Cokin Z pro series filter holders. The Z pro series is SOLID. heavier and sits firmly on a much wider ring adapter to the lens. In addition, there are two little knobs on the bottom that you can push in to 'lock' the holder in place and prevent the filters from slipping.
The whole contraption rings of solidly constructed class!
Tianya, though perfectly usuable, is still more flimsy and cannot use the longer 4x6 filters Cokin is so famous for.

Thank you Masters Sabee and Limhow and Night86mare ... I am enlightened now. Limited resources, didn't want to make a regrettable investment. Think I will try the Tainya filters with bluetack and then save up for the biggest holder that Cokin has (future proof) and go from there.

Thank you Masters Sabee and Limhow and Night86mare ... I am enlightened now. Limited resources, didn't want to make a regrettable investment. Think I will try the Tainya filters with bluetack and then save up for the biggest holder that Cokin has (future proof) and go from there.

my suggestion is to use cokin filter holder, and tianya filters.

cokin filters have horrible cast.

Just curious, as i'm using a 18-105 lens from nikon, is it advisable if i go for cokin P or X-pro? And if its X-pro from what i assume from the previous posts i'm unable to use tian ya filters, so if thats the case, what are the next best alternatives?

anything larger than P will do fine for dslr photography, really.