Cokin filters

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Need some advice: is investing in Cokin filters worth it? Or just Photoshop will do all the necessary?

Some effects, like polarisers, cannot be easily simulated in photoshop.

Need some advice: is investing in Cokin filters worth it? Or just Photoshop will do all the necessary?

Modifying the light entering your camera is easier than doing it in post as there just maybe an effect you cannot do in PS. Like already said, a polariser is really tricky to mimic in post, and then it's not a true representation of what a polariser can really do.

Bit more detail on what you want to shoot would help.

Hi Uncle

I think not worth investing into Cokin filters system.
1. Most effects can be done in Photoshop, and most are not even necessary
2. You need to be careful of vignetting if shooting on UWA due to the Cokin holder - also must make sure you buy the correct holder for the lens, then there's also the holder adapter ring for each lens diameter...you keep on buying and buying...
3. Cokin not the highest quality if you are really particular about this.

So, for critical filters like CPL and ND, I suggest that you buy dedicated filters for doing so.

Cheers!

Please show us how you want to emulate long-term exposure with ND110 / ND400 by using Photoshop :)
The rectangular filter holder can be used for Cokin, Tianya and other filters of the same size. Especially useful for GND filters to adjust the transition zone in the frame. Get the holder and selected filters according your needs, no point buying these 'allround kits' if you don't know what to do with the filters. Tianya filters are cheaper and can be found here in Mass Sales. More expensive filters are Lee and Singhray, they will fit into the holder if you buy in the same size.

GND effects can be applied in Photoshop too - in fact there are a few ways to do it. But whether to use a GND filter or not it's a matter of preference and how strictly you view digital post-processing.

......also must make sure you buy the correct holder for the lens

You only make sure that you buy the correct adapter ring for your lenses; the holder can be shared with different size adapter ring.

GND effects can be applied in Photoshop too - in fact there are a few ways to do it. But whether to use a GND filter or not it's a matter of preference and how strictly you view digital post-processing.

Yes... GND effects can be applied in Photoshop, but if, for example, the sky is too overblown, applying GND effects in PS would not retain the details of the sky.

Yes, you can add all sorts of graduated effects in PP, even exposure.

However, there are many situations you need to do GND in PP and also apply a real GND filter when taking the shot. The problem on relying solely on PP, lies in details in the shadows and highlights retained in the RAW files. If the difference in exposure for the highlights (sky) and foreground (land ground) is too great, selecting the final exposure will cause details to be lost either in the highlights, or shadows or both. Personally, if the the metering for the sky and the ground differs by more than 2 stops, I will apply a GND to bring them closer. And when processing the shot in PP, I can fine tune the balance of exposures even more.

So, investing in good GND filters are not just worth it, but essential for the stuff I am shooting. But this is just me. Some people may likes blown highlights and think it is cool which is fine by me, as long as I am not the one producing that kind of work.

Last edited:
Imho,

You need grads no matter what (quality ones), if you blow highlights they can not be recovered flat out, no amt of work done post will return those details that does not exist,
I feel the quality and realism of the images is better with grad filters and it is an excellent one step way to create fantastically balanced images. Although there's are some scenes where grads can not be used because the grad pattern would be obvious in important parts of the scene, but for almost 60% of my work, ND grads successfully solve my high-contrast scenes issues faster and better than blending techniques or HDR'in, or at least it do aid in my blending processes as well..

My 2 cents worth :)

UncleFai, Cokin filters are definitely worth it and is an inexpensive way to start. However, Cokin filters do exhibit some color casting issues with the higher density NDs and is most apparent when stacked heavily.

You can read more about the issue and how to get around it here

Also, if you are shooting FF, or if you are into UWA, do understand the limitations of the different sizes of the filter holders. Most popular is the P series (85mm) holder. When using on a Nikon APS-C camera, anything wider than 12mm will see vignetting with the Wide Angle version of the holder (1 slot). With the standard 3 slot holder, even 17mm is ok with no visible vignetting on a Tamron 17-50 when stopped down. On FF or very wide focal lenghts on crop, I recommend you move up to the Z series (100mm).

Last edited:

well, if you want to be a photoshop whore, yes.. *theoretically* you could use photoshop to do everything via exposure blending.

*but*, exposure blending for easy things takes at least 5 minutes more for a perfect job (i.e. can print large). that's *at least*.

for a tough job, it can take up to 2 hours.

so.. therein lies your answer, i hope.

I will try to use filter first and further fine tune during post processing.

well, if you want to be a photoshop whore, yes.. *theoretically* you could use photoshop to do everything via exposure blending.

*but*, exposure blending for easy things takes at least 5 minutes more for a perfect job (i.e. can print large). that's *at least*.

for a tough job, it can take up to 2 hours.

so.. therein lies your answer, i hope.
:thumbsup:

I'm also trying/testing out exposure blending (handheld). Its possible but pp can be tough (of course there are easy ones also)

TS, to summarize for you, the filters you need are probably only polarizer and ND filters. GND is up to you and are of lesser importance compared to the previous 2.