Cokin Filters - P Series or Z-PRO Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptyap

Apr 10, 2007
Chapel Hill, US
www.flickr.com
Hi, can anyone advise on which of the above to get if I were to use the filters with my Canon 10-22mm? Thanks. :)

P series enough.. =)

If your budget is higher can consider Lee filters, a lot more expensive though.

The reason I asked is because I was told by a camera shop that I should use the Z-PRO series with this lens.

What about Singhray filters? Can I use the Cokin holder with Singhray/Lee filters?

If I'm not wrong, Lee filter is 100mm size.

Cokin P series is 80+mm. As for Singh-ray, I have no idea, my budget is very limited so I have never done research on it, please wait for others who are in the know to reply to you on this, hehe!

If your budget is on the other end of the scale, i.e. low.. Then you can follow what me and a few other people do, buy Tianya from PPCP, it is compatible with Cokin P series holder, I've been fooling around with their Graduated Red, it's quite decent for the price.

I think there is another brand called "Nature". Anyone heard of it? The are a few threads in the B&S section selling products of this brand.

You can certainly use Singh Ray filters with the Cokin P holder.

Not sure about Lee though.

What about Singhray filters? Can I use the Cokin holder with Singhray/Lee filters?

The slim Cokin P holder vignette when u shot at wider ends, esp at 10mm end

If can try to get the Z-pro, but do note the price will go up as well

I use my P filter handheld against the lens w/o the holder

Singh Ray comes in diff sizes, has a P size , you can check their site.

Ryan

If your budget is on the other end of the scale, i.e. low.. Then you can follow what me and a few other people do, buy Tianya from PPCP, it is compatible with Cokin P series holder, I've been fooling around with their Graduated Red, it's quite decent for the price.

Do you know whether Tianya has IR filter? Thanks. :)

My 10-22 has a slim UV filter on and with the slim P-series holder attached, it doesn't really vignette much IF the holder is properly aligned. Diagonally or vertical orientations are bad.

My 10-22 has a slim UV filter on and with the slim P-series holder attached, it doesn't really vignette much IF the holder is properly aligned. Diagonally or vertical orientations are bad.

i never tried mounting a cokin P slim holder and shoot at the wide end of my 12-24mm though, i handheld them.

Maybe Denosha u can post examples of the vignette at 10mm.

Ryan

Can you please show us some images? Thanks. :)

It depends on what body you are using the lens with.

Are you using film body with 1:1 or a digital body with 1:1.5, 1:1.2 crop???

There is a high chance of a Cokin P filter holder causing vignetting, even if its a slim holder, at the 10mm end.

The factors determining are:

1) What crop factor are you shooting at.
2) How "wide" is your filter holder (and of course your filter).

The brand of the filter has NOTHING to do with vignetting. It affects the size of the hole in your pocket though.

It depends on what body you are using the lens with.

Are you using film body with 1:1 or a digital body with 1:1.5, 1:1.2 crop???

There is a high chance of a Cokin P filter holder causing vignetting, even if its a slim holder, at the 10mm end.

The factors determining are:

1) What crop factor are you shooting at.
2) How "wide" is your filter holder (and of course your filter).

The brand of the filter has NOTHING to do with vignetting. It affects the size of the hole in your pocket though.

I am using Canon EF-S 10-22mm and this lens can only be used on a body with a crop factor of 1.6.

I am using Canon EF-S 10-22mm and this lens can only be used on a body with a crop factor of 1.6.

I think like that Cokin P sure vignette.

Use either Lee filter or Cokin Z-Pro. BUT, Lee filters darn expensive, and Cokin Z-Pro not available in Singapore. Both use 100mm filters though.

Alternative is the Cokin X-Pro which is darn huge, sure no vignette. BUT, also darn expensive.

Oops. Din check back on this thread. Anyway, as requested, here are some samples of the Cokin P-series slim filter holder on a 10-22 @ 10mm WITHOUT any UV filter.

Horizontal alignment:
Cokin1022-horizontal.jpg

I think my holder wasn't perfectly straight, thus the unbalanced amount of vignetting. Overall it isn't that bad. Nothing a little bit of cropping or clone stamp tool won't fix.

Vertical alignment (holder rotated 90 degrees):
Cokin1022-Vertical.jpg

Noticeably worse

Diagonal alignment:
Cokin1022-Diagonal.jpg

Completely cannot make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.