Cokin filter system VS the others

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Cokin has an interesting filter system. One which allows considerable reuse across most 35mm lenses, with adapters ranging from 48mm to 82mm.

But in terms of quality (build and image), how does it compare with those from Hoya and B+W? Investing in 77mm screw-on filters is expensive.

thanks in advance,
rOCh

Cokin filters are made of resin, and they are probably not as good as those multi-coated glass ones by Hoya/B+W, etc. But it makes for a good filter system for someone starting out, etc. And for neutral density graduated filters, they are the cheapest. But some say the filters have a colour cast.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by kongg
The Lee filter system will cost an arm and 2 legs, (Maybe even 1/2 a head).........

A Small Lee Gel (plastic film type about 6.5 X 6.5 cm) for my flash cost about $17 from CP.

thanks CKiang,

i suppose there aren't any multi-coated Cokin filters around?

The cost of Hoya/B+W ND grad filters and Cir. Pols are the main reason why i'm considering the Cokin system. Am using mainly 77mm lenses with some 58mm and a 52mm. Getting separate filters for these will cost a bomb! :(

rOCh

Originally posted by ckiang
Cokin filters are made of resin, and they are probably not as good as those multi-coated glass ones by Hoya/B+W, etc. But it makes for a good filter system for someone starting out, etc. And for neutral density graduated filters, they are the cheapest. But some say the filters have a colour cast.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by rochkoh
thanks CKiang,

i suppose there aren't any multi-coated Cokin filters around?

The cost of Hoya/B+W ND grad filters and Cir. Pols are the main reason why i'm considering the Cokin system. Am using mainly 77mm lenses with some 58mm and a 52mm. Getting separate filters for these will cost a bomb! :(

rOCh

You can consider using step down rings. :) But as far as ND Grads go, you have either the cheap Cokin, or the expensive Lee and SinghRay ones. :(

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.